Apple Loops On External Drives

Creature

Logic and all other audio software advises to instal all audio on your external drive if you have one.

When installing apple loops it's impossible to install it on my Lacie firewire drive, it keeps refering to the macdrive,...(like if i need hamburgers)

Shortcuts like with the EXS24 don't work and it's getting a mess.

Funny though how in fact all other audio apps can store their complete content libraries on ANY drive.

Isn't there a simple way to solve this problem so i can store ALL my audio on drives other then the macdrive?

Yes, once you have the Aloops on the new drive, simply drag and drop the apple loop folder onto the loop browser and they will be re-indexed.

8)

I've tried that, but:

1. Garageband doesn't see them anymore.

2. Garageband doesn't even start anymore and tells me to reinstall garageband.

3. Will they be accesable with for example soundtrack, ilife or final cut ?

4. I want to get rid of all the audiofiles from the macdrive without garageband and other apps getting freaked out.

Did you had to add any files or folders (appleloops) to use them in GB or STP?

No. Just created aliases to replace the original folders. I've done this with all the LiveType media as well. Working great here, day in, day out.

Note that folders within the EXS24 load list must have .exs files in them or the EXS makes them invisible.

Did you had to add any files or folders (appleloops) to use them in GB or STP?

No. Just created aliases to replace the original folders. I've done this with all the LiveType media as well. Working great here, day in, day out.

Note that folders within the EXS24 load list must have .exs files in them or the EXS makes them invisible.

I use to have 1 shortcut (Sampler Instruments) in my Logic folder and stored all .exs + samples on an external drive.

Appleloops has nothing to do with EXS right?

When i store Jam packs on the external drive and drag 'm to the loop browser, they'll be visible in the Jam Pack Management.

When i drag from the by appleloops created library folder (on the external drive) to the loopbrowser, the packs aren't vissible.

I think all apple loops are stored in the library with all the other appleloops.

I want to see all jampacks or appleloop bundles in the Jam Pack Management to select only samples from the jampack i choose,...is that possible?

Today i'll shortcut my ass off from your screenshot. :lol:

Thanx for you time and support.

Hey guys could you recomend any good external drives? im looking to get a mac pro tower soon though and know about the 4 hard drive bays. are these bays easy to get to? im thinking you would have to open up the case to get to them. I would like to be able to back up everything and keep in a safety deposit box somewhere. Or should I just get an external one?

My dream machine coming to a bed room near me:

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

2GB (4 x 512MB)

750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB

Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

One 16x SuperDrive

Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English

Mac OS X - U.S. English

cost: $6543.00

can you imagine playing Total War on this thing!

Hey, no problem. I've never bought any Jam Packs so I have no experience with them. I always make my own Apple loops from within Logic so I know that works fine. I don't see why there would be any problem though.

Well i'm done, everything runs great now, all files accessable, can even open some garageband in EXS24.

Is it possible to create the so called green appleloops so that you can play them with the keyboard.

I now use phatmaticpro for that.

Well i'm done, everything runs great now, all files accessable, can even open some garageband in EXS24.

Hey Creature, glad to know it worked out for you. Frees up a bit of space on the main drive, eh?

Can't add anything to your green appleloops question, but there was some discussion about this on the LUG some time back. Do a search there.

Hey Creature, glad to know it worked out for you. Frees up a bit of space on the main drive, eh?

Can't add anything to your green appleloops question, but there was some discussion about this on the LUG some time back. Do a search there.

Let's forget the green loops, many of them aren't even real loops but just midi notes connected to a drumkit or instrument anyway.

Phatmatic is the smallest and best easy plugin to do the job......

It wasn't really a space question cause i have a 250gb systemdrive,......

It was more that i thought i bought the Lacie 500gb for nothing at all and had to store all my appleloops on the system :wink:

And ofcourse Logic advises to store sounds on an external drive.

Yes, once you have the Aloops on the new drive, simply drag and drop the apple loop folder onto the loop browser and they will be re-indexed.

8)

Every time I do that I get duplicated loops indexed , i;e; two of the same loop in the loop explorer.

I had that too, but when i set it up like fader8's screenshot it was ok.

No more doubles after re-adding,.....perfect !!

• 3 months later...
Let's forget the green loops, many of them aren't even real loops but just midi notes connected to a drumkit or instrument anyway.

All Apple Loops are "real loops". An Apple Loop is an AIFF audio file with extra information in the headers. A blue apple loop's extra information is the tags and transient positions, a green apple loop's extra information is the tags, transients, MIDI region and Channel Strip setting. But the green apple loops is still an AIFF audio file.

• 2 weeks later...

All Apple Loops are "real loops". An Apple Loop is an AIFF audio file with extra information in the headers. A blue apple loop's extra information is the tags and transient positions, a green apple loop's extra information is the tags, transients, MIDI region and Channel Strip setting. But the green apple loops is still an AIFF audio file.

Why does green loops opens up a standard garageband instrument or drumkit, and why can you only use green loops on instrument channels and not on audio channels?

• 3 months later...
blue loops are audio only. green loops are audio and can be use on audio instrument channels for the user to change the sound or anything he likes.

Well,..if it's all audio, why can't you fix ALL of the apple loops like green loops sliced up under your keys, its audio right?

If green loops are audio,...why does it opens up an EXS or garageband instrument?

Any other audio app like Stylus, Phatmatik, Recycle etc, can slice up audio files so you can use them under your keys.

This is not possible with blue loops, blue loops you can only add to fit the song tempo.....no playable keys here.

Green loops puts down a midi region in your arrange,....like Recycle, Stylus etc.

Only Recycle and Stylus are using one original audio file sliced.

So again,....if green loops are audio files like David mentioned,...why does it opens up an garageband or EXS instrument to play? Where is that sliced up green audio file then?

I think it's only playing back the instrument through that added midi region.

Appleloops should be updated so you can use loops like all those other apps already do ,........for over 10 years duuuuh. :?

Green Loops can also be used in Audio tracks.

Blue Loops and Green Loops are both Audio files, the only difference is the meta data in the tags. Blue loops have transient (slice) data in them. Green Loops contain transient (slice) data and the appropriate instrument setup and midi data to recreate the loop if dragged to an instrument track.

There is a really good explanation in a PDF from one of the forum members (Edgar Rothermich) Check out his PDF manual on apple loops (http://homepage.mac.com/edgarrothermich/Manuals.html) and if you find the info useful you can make a small donation to him for his efforts.

The use of Green Loops is also mentioned in the Logic Manual as well. I cant remember the section in the manual but I just ran logic and dragged a green loop into an audio track and opened it in the sample editor to be sure. Im also 100% sure you can use them in other apps as well. I use them in Ableton Live from time to time and I have definitely loaded and used them in in EXS patches before as well.

Navigate to the location you keep your apple loops, find one that shows up green in the loop browser of logic - and load it up in an EXS or any other Audio App. :-)

Green Loops contain transient (slice) data and the appropriate instrument setup and midi data to recreate the loop if dragged to an instrument track.

Recreate the loop with an instrument?

This means the green loops are created with the basic Logic or Garageband instruments in the first place,...else an instrument could never RECREATE a loop.

In that case green loops are just bounced replayed midifiles from basic Logic and Garageband instruments.

In that case green loops are just bounced replayed midifiles from basic Logic and Garageband instruments.

If that is the case then please explain why those bounced MIDI files play in Audio tracks and open in sample editor, Fission, Sound Studio, Audio Finder and every other audio application on my hard drive.

Your correct in saying that these files are created with instruments in Logic & GB but in the end thats the whole point. If you could read the data tags in the file im sure there is nothing stopping anyone from creating their own Green apple loops using AU instrument and channel strip settings.

From the Edgar Rothermich Manual:

Apple Loops are “tagged aiff audio files”

These are audio files (i.e. aiff, wav, mp3 etc) that have two data

sections. You can actually “see” the data if you open an audio file

with a text editor.

• The majority of the data represents the digital audio

data. Every Application that supports that audio file

format (aiff, wav, mp3, etc), can read the file and

playback the audio.

• The additional data section of the audio file is called

metadata or “tags”. Most of the tags are stored in the

clear which means that you can spot them inside the

“data mess”

There are actually two kinds of Apple Loops: Blue and Green: (You can only see which one is which in the Loop Browser)

The Blue Apple Loops are the “regular” ones.

They include the audio data and the Apple Loop metadata, which enables the Time and Key matching when you place them onto an Audio

Track in Logic

The Green Apple Loops have two additional tags:

• MIDI data

• Channel Strip setting

You can place them on three different Tracks:

• Audio Track: they behave like blue Apple Loops with regular Time and Key matching

• MIDI Track: Logic ignores the audio data and instead will create a MIDI Region with the MIDI data which is part of the Green Apple

Loops metadata

• Audio Instrument Track: Logic will again ignore the audio data and create a MIDI Region with the MIDI data from the embedded MIDI

data. In addition, if the Audio Instrument Track doesn’t have any Instrument assigned yet, Logic will load the embedded Channel Strip

setting, which includes the Audio Instrument and any assigned inserts for that track.

• 1 month later...
Here is a screenshot from my Library folder. All audio is on external FW. This works great in GB, FCP, STP, EXS, . . .

Hey there, I thought I better share this seemingly new development for Logic users who also use Final Cut Pro.

Something might have changed with using an Alias with a Final Cut Pro project. Had a bit of a scare this week with one third of my Final Cut projects suddenly giving a heart stopping "project unreadable" message.

A while back I had moved my "Apple Loops for Soundtrack Pro" folder to an external drive and used an alias in its place like your screen shot near the beginning of this thread.

This week I came upon the problem with my Final Cut projects. After many hours troubleshooting using FCP XML exports I determined that the problem projects were getting hung up on this alias. (I had previously used some of the "Apple Loops" folder's sound FX library files in my videos.)

Once I removed the Alias the projects would open with the sound FX files (now understandably marked as "off line".) It used to be that if you moved around some files, then open Final Cut it would tell you to relink these missing files. Now it just gives you a "project unreadable" message. Maybe an update to OS X, QuickTime or Pro Application Support triggered this behavior change. Many others are reporting similar problems in Final Cut land lately.

So... if you have used the Apple Sound FX in your Final Cut projects be careful using an Alias.

Mark R.

---------------------

Logic 8 on a 1.2GHz G4, OS 10.4.11, QuickTime 7.3, Final Cut 5