Auto Sync In and MMC issue

a-stream

I am using Logic X for composing and slaving Pro Tools to it (for audio and video) on the same computer through MTC and MMC.

Something that has been bothering me for a while is that Midi Machine Control commands behave differently when Logic is in "Auto-enable External Sync" mode vs Internal. If I enable "Auto Sync In" (or if Logic is in SMPTE Sync (MTC) mode), MMC song position commands are sent when I drag/resize a region or move a note in Piano Roll. This is very useful since the video running in Pro Tools is scrubbing as I do these changes, just like if I was running the video internally in Logic.

If I disable "Auto Sync In" and go back to Internal sync mode, these commands are not sent and Logic is only sending MMC when I move the Song Position Pointer.

I see no reason for Logic not to send all those MMC commands even when "Auto Sync In" (or SMPTE Sync (MTC)) is disabled. Is this the expected behavior or a bug?

My posting was moved from the bug-section so it seems that the moderators of this forum do not consider this to be a bug.

In the MMC section in Preferences/MIDI/Sync I have checked "Transmit Locate commands when: dragging regions and events". Yet these commands are only sent when Logic is in SMPTE/MTC mode or Auto-enable external sync is checked.

Is the consensus amongst the other users here that Logic is suppose to work this way?

Edited by a-stream

Thanks for clarifying that. I hope someone who is using Logic for scoring to picture same as me will chime in so that we can get to the bottom of this. There is no detailed description on the subject in Logic's manual that I've been able to find.

I've tried doing the same thing with Pro Tools as sync master, i e moving region/clip borders, and PT does send MMC locate commands. It appears to be specific to Logic. And I think it leans towards being a bug :)

• 7 months later...
Glad to hear I'm not alone and someone else is having the issue too. I made my key command for "Enable sync intern/extern" in Logic same as in Pro Tools and I do the same thing as you. Would be nice if they fixed it in a future version.

• 2 years later...
that's the point. when i check external sync...., regions/event dragging moving also the position with movie on the slave machine, but then no transport actions are working. that is the workaround right now, switching on off external sync. on for dragging around, off for normal transport actions. (btw. i'm speaking of syncing two logics not logic and protools, but i think it's the same behaviour)

yes. i did. leave it on internal and when the box below is checked, moving events and regions moving the position of the movie on the slave machine, great, but then the master logic machine doesn‘t react to start and stop or forward/rewind. on the slave, start/stop is also not as it should.

i mean, everything is working perfect, except when i want to move regions. it should behave like i do it with logic without slave.

I just tested this tonight and now I understand. You want to also have the transport controls when the master and slave are externally sync'd - I wonder if the transport controls can be remapped to send start/stop etc like a cs when in manual sync and both are listening and transmitting MMC. Let me think on that one a bit...

• 4 months later...

I agree, and also believe this is a bug.

Dragging regions in Logic Pro X should send Locate Commands via MMC to the (Video) slave when the "Dragging regions or events" option is selected in Prefs>MIDI>Sync (assuming transmit MMC is selected in Project settings). Having monitored the MMC output using MIDI Monitor, and can confirm these SysEx commands are NOT being sent when the checkbox for the "Dragging regions or events" option is active. It seems the only workaround is to do what has been suggested in this thread, i.e. Choose External Sync. when you need to drag regions for precise visible placement to picture (slave). You can usefully create a keyboard shortcut for "Sync intern/extern" which toggles the Sync setting to Manual (note, there's no command option for "Auto Sync In" to bind to a keyboard shortcut) allowing the expected dragging behaviour, temporarily.

Hopefully some pressure can be put on Apple to fix this.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
I recently installed Video Sync 5 and while it works great, I found that this problem is an issue with it as well. I set up ProTools with Video Sync 5 to test, and it works correctly. Dragging and resizing regions and midi events scrubs the video in Video Sync 5. In Logic you still need to click "SMPTE Sync (MTC) or "Auto Sync in" for dragging regions and events to send MMC commands to move the video along with it. I'm on 10.6.2. It's possible it's fixed in 10.7? But I don't see anything mentioned in the bug fix list.

• 3 months later...