OS X El Capitan - Not supported Software and Hardware

Well I guess we can close this thread then since you say all is ok. :roll:

i'm only sharing my experience, am not making absolute statements (like yours). yes, lots of teething problems with el capitan. i've had a few, but have everything working. your mileage may vary.

but i don't see any indication that the world is coming to an end (certainly not just because you think it is)... 8)

Just completed upgrading to El Capitan. A quick run through of Logic Pro X shows that Steven Slate drums DOES validate and function. All my Waves plugs validate and appear to be functional.

Aside from a couple NI plugs the only other plug not validating is Amplitube 3 from IK Multimedia.

This was a very brief testing as I have to get ready for work, however, all seems well.

Additionally the few projects I opened loaded considerably faster - time to open projects seems to be cut at least in half. I like that!

Sad that my Duet firewire is no longer supported, as you say it’s basically a maintenance release.

However, the Duet seems to be working ok after the update.

Are you able to go into maestro software to adjust the gain levels and set instrument or line level?

Known UA device compatibility with OS X El Capitan and UAD software v8.3

Apollo

Apollo models connecting via FireWire (UAD v8.3.0) are not compatible at this time.

Apollo models connecting via Thunderbolt (UAD v8.3.1) are compatible in preliminary tests.

UAD-2 Satellite

UAD-2 Satellite FireWire models connecting via a Mac FireWire port (UAD v8.3.0) are not compatible at this time.

UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt models (UAD v8.3.1) are compatible in preliminary tests.

UAD-2 Satellite FireWire models connecting via the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (UAD v8.3.1) are compatible in preliminary tests.

UAD-2 PCIe

UAD-2 PCIe cards in internal PCIe slots with UAD v8.3.0 are not compatible at this time.

UAD-2 PCIe cards connecting via a Thunderbolt-to-PCIe chassis (UAD v8.3.1) are compatible in preliminary tests.

I received an email from Apogee explaining the compatibility situation with their FireWire devices:

Apple began to phase out FireWire connectivity in 2012 on all Mac computers. With significant improvements to USB audio and the introduction of Thunderbolt, the performance and stability offered with FireWire audio interfaces has been surpassed. As a result, Apple has discontinued development and maintenance of their FireWire Core Audio driver for the new Mac OS X El Capitan. For this reason, we simply cannot ensure a stable/reliable experience for users of our FireWire audio interfaces who choose to upgrade to this new Mac OS release.

Due to the fact that Apple is no longer developing their FireWire Core Audio Driver, Apogee’s Duet FireWire and Ensemble FireWire will not be officially supported on OS X 10.11 El Capitan or any future Mac OS X release. While these products may work normally for some users, Apogee will not be able to provide technical support, troubleshooting or bug fixes for any software related issues you experience on OS X 10.11 El Capitan or higher.

I was not aware that Apple had abandoned support for FireWire in El Cap, but Apogee's decision makes more sense now. They're offering a trade-in program for Duet and Ensemble FireWire devices, but sadly it's not a credit towards a Tbolt version; instead they're offering a Groove or One with trade-in.

I talked with Apogee today and they said that they would announce Monday what the upgrade options are. If it is only for the Groove or One I'm gonna be very frustrated! Especially since the duet they offer now is more than what I paid for the duet. Also, the waves silver bundle is currently not compatible with OS X 10.2

A discount for a new duet would be much appreciated! Why would I want to trade in my duet for something I would not use?

I talked with Apogee today and they said that they would announce Monday what the upgrade options are. If it is only for the Groove or One I'm gonna be very frustrated! Especially since the duet they offer now is more than what I paid for the duet. Also, the waves silver bundle is currently not compatible with OS X 10.2

A discount for a new duet would be much appreciated! Why would I want to trade in my duet for something I would not use?

Here is an update from Apogee:

For a limited time, registered users of Duet FireWire users who purchase a new Duet, Quartet or Ensemble Thunderbolt are eligible to trade in their old product for a FREE Apogee Groove. Registered Ensemble FireWire users who purchase one of these new products are eligible to trade in their old product for a FREE Apogee ONE for iPad & Mac or a FREE Apogee Groove.

Visit www.apogeedigital.com/firewire-trade-in

:cry: :evil:

This ... this here .... this was a good , intelligent post:

If apple didn't care about audio production they would have just kept AU version 2 forever. I think it's the opposite, they genuinely want to improve the audio capabilities on mac but it's going to require some pain from developers. Looking at the WWDC stuff this year they made it very obvious that there were major changes to audio code. Some developers kept up with that and were ready, and others didn't even start testing their software until now. When software needs to be updated, there's only so much Apple can do to get developers to actually do it. For some, it takes the OS update actually coming out and breaking the software for the work to get done.

It's possible that Apple could have come up with solutions that made for a smoother transition, I just don't agree with the notion of turning their back on the audio community.

Sad that my Duet firewire is no longer supported, as you say it’s basically a maintenance release.

However, the Duet seems to be working ok after the update.

Are you able to go into maestro software to adjust the gain levels and set instrument or line level?

Maestro 2 opens and setting the gain/line levels from within the software seems fine.

Setting the levels using the Duet button also reflects the changes in the Maestro 2 window.

I received an email from Apogee explaining the compatibility situation with their FireWire devices:

Apple began to phase out FireWire connectivity in 2012 on all Mac computers. With significant improvements to USB audio and the introduction of Thunderbolt, the performance and stability offered with FireWire audio interfaces has been surpassed. As a result, Apple has discontinued development and maintenance of their FireWire Core Audio driver for the new Mac OS X El Capitan. For this reason, we simply cannot ensure a stable/reliable experience for users of our FireWire audio interfaces who choose to upgrade to this new Mac OS release.

Due to the fact that Apple is no longer developing their FireWire Core Audio Driver, Apogee’s Duet FireWire and Ensemble FireWire will not be officially supported on OS X 10.11 El Capitan or any future Mac OS X release. While these products may work normally for some users, Apogee will not be able to provide technical support, troubleshooting or bug fixes for any software related issues you experience on OS X 10.11 El Capitan or higher.

I was not aware that Apple had abandoned support for FireWire in El Cap, but Apogee's decision makes more sense now. They're offering a trade-in program for Duet and Ensemble FireWire devices, but sadly it's not a credit towards a Tbolt version; instead they're offering a Groove or One with trade-in.

Thank you for the follow up posts. I’ll check out the Duet firewire function in more detail today.

My initial checks haven’t revealed any major changes.

I also wasn’t aware that Apple is no longer developing their FireWire Core Audio Driver.

It’s time to start looking into changing my audio device, in the meantime I’m still able to work as usual.

Edited by DaveRobinson

Here is an update from Apogee:

For a limited time, registered users of Duet FireWire users who purchase a new Duet, Quartet or Ensemble Thunderbolt are eligible to trade in their old product for a FREE Apogee Groove. Registered Ensemble FireWire users who purchase one of these new products are eligible to trade in their old product for a FREE Apogee ONE for iPad & Mac or a FREE Apogee Groove.

Visit http://www.apogeedigital.com/firewire-trade-in

:cry: :evil:

Thanks for the info paulypaul. Guess they don't have to offer anything but thats pretty lame.

Maestro 2 opens and setting the gain/line levels from within the software seems fine.

Setting the levels using the Duet button also reflects the changes in the Maestro 2 window.

Thanks for reporting on that, Dave. Sounds like the Duet (and probably Ensemble) will continue to technically work for now, but the clock is ticking. Disappointing that Apogee is squandering the goodwill they could've had in this situation. I realize it's not their fault that Apple has abandoned FireWire, but considering the new Duet and Ensemble are far more expensive than their predecessors they could've cleared a bit of a path for existing owners.

Thanks Dave for checking out the Duet and Maestro 2 software. Looks like it might still work but yeah I'll be looking for an alternative.

I believe that was petsounds with the follow up on Apogee. Good info thanks petsounds

No problem :)

Yes same here, shame really, the Duet FireWire has given me no problems, just worked since the day I bought it.

Thanks for pointing that out, I've edited the post.

Thanks for reporting on that, Dave. Sounds like the Duet (and probably Ensemble) will continue to technically work for now, but the clock is ticking. Disappointing that Apogee is squandering the goodwill they could've had in this situation. I realize it's not their fault that Apple has abandoned FireWire, but considering the new Duet and Ensemble are far more expensive than their predecessors they could've cleared a bit of a path for existing owners.

No problem :)

Sorry about the misquote, I’ve corrected it now. Thanks for the useful info.

Yes the clock is ticking… Providing future OS X 10.11 updates don’t change the FireWire Core Audio Driver the Duet (fw) will be ok for me. I can’t see my trusty MacBook pro being suitable for further os x updates anyway.

Sure is disappointing that Apogee is squandering their goodwill, they could have supported this “Maintenance release” and signed off on a high.

Apogee has been good to me in the past. I bought two Duet’s (one for my Son) we had to travel on daily trips out to find stores in our surrounding area that had them in stock. Some hadn’t even heard of them. I emailed Apogee and made them aware of this and gave them a list of the stores in question. They replied and asked for my postal address. A short time later I received a parcel containing a Thank You letter, Tee Shirt with a “Sound Amazing” logo, a bipety bopety hat and two carrying cases for the Duets. 8)

Anyone tried automapped (By Novation) plugins? - and if so, do they pass validation ok?

Many thanks for the help on this thread, it's invaluable - i wouldn't normally upgrade for a good 6+ months, but my machine has been running so poorly lately i'm desperate to do a clean install, and it may as well be with El Cap.

Edit: d'oh - just seen reply, sorry i didn't notice that on their site - i had checked hardware only - thanks.

Edited by skijumptoes

I also have a Firewire Duet with El Capitan and all is working OK.

I am sure Firewire is still supported in El Capitan because the OS is supposed to be backward compatible with older computers (circa 2008 I believe) with some of them having Firewire interface/connection.

Apple may not do anymore Firewire development but it still there and working.

Any words from Metric Halo?

Can´t seem to find anything.

/Jesper

Just found that on Gearslutz:

This is one (of many reasons) I love Metric Halo as a company.

They are preparing the rollout of a hardware upgrade (self installable for the user) for ALL interfaces they ever produced (about 12 years?). You will get an upgraded DSP card (3D with MUCH more power) and a back plate with the USB interface (instead of Firewire). They have written a completely new legacy USB driver that delivers crazy performance over USB2 (!) to have absolutely NO hardware break with older computers ... Additionally drivers for Windows and Linux will be available.

Yes, this upgrade will costs money (you could probably buy an smaller entry level USB audio interface), BUT if you spent big money for an Ensemble and won't be able to use it in the future is bad. The reselling price just went south for (almost) all firewire interfaces ...

Availability?

After all my fussing about this, I tried 10.11 upgrade on a spare clone of yosemite and once I disabled SIP, copied the auval and libxml2.2dylib and old au caches over from Yosemite, pretty much everything works as before. Logic X didn't even need to rescan. Even Arturia, NI plugs and my UAD. Even 99% of my 2rd party utilities like Xfinder and Default Folder X work. Maybe a few minor things but hardly noticeable.

BUT. . . . all that said, even AU force validate couldn't get hundred of stray Logic 9 plugins to validate. If you simply check the "crashed validation" boxes on Logic 9's au manager, then those plugins show up under "incompatible" or whatever it is called at the top of the list all mixed together, BUT they do open fine and work fine from there. I still like to open many old projects ion LP9 rather than convert to X in some cases where certain things are difficult to reproduce in LPX for whatever reason. so I hope we can continue to use LP9 for a while longer but clearly some of the plugs are going to be problems in LP9.

Update: replace the Logic 9 AU cache with Yosemite one and now the LP9 plugs are mostly ok like before.

Oddly Apogee GiO seems to work better with El Capitan. I've had trouble getting it to work reliable using the USB3 ports on a Mac Book Pro Retina. Now it seems to work ok, and is recovering from connect/reconnect better, even the MIDI seems to reconnect.

There's still some problems with sleep/wake. The audio interface works after sleep/wake, but MIDI doesn't. Reconnecting the USB clears it up. I use to cause the MIDIServer to hang.