Copy tracks from one project to another

M Robinson

I am using Logic 10.3 and am producing a podcast. In one project I have recorded the intro (voice and music). I want to use this as the beginning segment on many episodes and need to be able to copy, or drag and drop if possible, the intro to each new project (episode). I can't seem to figure out how to do this and would appreciate some help. Thanks!

File > Import > Logic Projects... From there, you'll navigate to the file with the source material. Once selected, up pops a most splendid window that lets you pick and choose what to import -- which is nearly everything in the source file: tracks, markers, tempos, auxes, etc. 

Vistas open. 

By the way, the old stand-by is to simply open two files at once, source and destination, and drag-and-drop regions from one Main window to the other. This doesn't copy the object assigned to the track, but if it's a simple audio file, that can be re-created. 

The problem with two open projects is that coreaudio is restarted each time when switching projects - this gets annoying pretty soon, especially if one of the projects has loading time of a few seconds or more. The selective track import method is more elegant (only one project open), and quicker.

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.2.3/#/lgcpce085447

Thanks to everyone for their advice. For some reason, I was not able to drag and drop the segments from one project into another, so I did wind up using Import/Logic Projects and it worked fine. I did have to adjust tempo settings as the intro tempo is different from the target project into which I was inserting the intro. I did that using global settings and all is well. Did I mention how much I love this forum and how incredibly valuable it has been for me? I find that the support files provided by Apple are hard to access. So again, many thanks!!

• 2 years later...
How is this not just a simple cmd+c on one track from one project and then a cmd+v in the destination project? :|

Why do they have to make even the simplest tasks so complicated haha...

Two posts above your somewhat late "complaint" I clearly wrote: "The problem with two open projects is that coreaudio is restarted each time when switching projects - this gets annoying pretty soon, especially if one of the projects has loading time of a few seconds or more."

That is why.

I’m not 100% sure this works but I think I’ve done it before. If I remember correctly it does not do the reload thing when no audio device is elected.

If you know what you want to copy and don’t need to audition tracks while doing this, you could try temporarily disabling core audio to avoid it reloading each time you switch back and forth between two open projects.

How is this not just a simple cmd+c on one track from one project and then a cmd+v in the destination project? :|

Why do they have to make even the simplest tasks so complicated haha...

Two posts above your somewhat late "complaint" I clearly wrote: "The problem with two open projects is that coreaudio is restarted each time when switching projects - this gets annoying pretty soon, especially if one of the projects has loading time of a few seconds or more."

That is why.

That doesn't make sense though.

I've used Reaper for years with multiple project tabs open, and coreaudiod absolutely does not restart every time you switch a project window.

There's no "logical" reason for Logic to be doing that (tee hee)

In fact with Reaper, you can even have one track (or multiple tracks) playing from one project window, while you record another track in another project window

Just seems like a pointless limitation :|

No, sure there is no "logical" reason, which is why the programmers did that: for no reason at all, because Logic programmers hate people.

So how do you "know" there is "no logical reason"? Seems to me you are just assuming something, and the assumption is based on nothing (aka "illogical").

If I had to take a guess, probably something from long ago (where there -was- a valid reason) that was never updated.

What I meant was no reason _today_ :)

What I meant was no reason _today_ :)

There could be many reasons why it's programmed that way, and why it could be challenging for the developers to change the way it behaves today. Maybe Logic isn't programmed to handle Core Audio in the same way Reaper is. Maybe it could easily work the same way Reaper does as long as you haven't customized the MIDI Environment, or aren't using Flex Time, or haven't frozen any tracks, or if Logic didn't handle plug-in CPU resources dynamically the way it does, etc etc...

• 2 years later...

Copy and Paste for MIDI is actually a bit complicated.  Even in text we now have "paste and match style."  You can copy tracks and even notes within a piano roll or score from one project to another, but the paste often goes wrong.  For example, in my case I almost always want the MIDI sound channel and tempo to be changed to match the destination and almost never from the source.  Logic could pop up a dialog asking how you want to paste.  

Finale has an interesting approach where you can set preferences for pasting.  It's a surprisingly large set of prefs.  For example, I almost never want to paste lyrics along with notes so I uncheck that box.  Now that the M1 chip is here, solutions that were impossible because of processor speed could now be revisited.