Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

I've been using logic for over 10 years now. I'm afraid that it's time for me to move on...

I understand your frustrations and you're well within your rights to move on.

Check out Waves Studio Rack. It's a free plugin that in itself has Waves' S1 Imager plugin built-in for each band/instance and is a wicked good parallel & serial plug-in "rack", if you will. https://www.waves.com/plugins/studiorack#introducing-the-new-studiorack-plugin-chainer

2. No support for any sort of rack style plugin packs like abelton. This is super helpful for parallel processing audio within a plugin chain and having simultaneous wet/dry control. Logic is at a huge disadvantage here.

Not sure to understand what you mean here… Line6, NI, IK, racks works just fine here…

3. Can't have a single instance of a midi effect (like an LFO) sharing multiple destinations.
Have you tried using IAC loop?

I could go on :(
Logic isn’t perfect, but no DAW is either. Every DAW has its flaws and pitfals. Good luck anyway on your journey!

2. No support for any sort of rack style plugin packs like abelton. This is super helpful for parallel processing audio within a plugin chain and having simultaneous wet/dry control. Logic is at a huge disadvantage here.

Not sure to understand what you mean here… Line6, NI, IK, racks works just fine here…

More and more DAWs now have re-usable built-in effects racks you can build with splitting, routing, assignable macros and stuff like that. If all you're accustomed to are Smart Controls, Channel Strips, and The Environment it may feel like you already have it, but in Bitwig/Ableton/Studio One it's more comparable to something like Kilohearts Snap Heap, built into the DAW. And in those you can save a rack like "Parallel Saturation Effects" and drop it into a slot like a normal effect; it will have its own custom knobs etc. https://rekkerd.org/sample-magic-ableton-magic-racks-mix-essentials/

I'm not sure why that belongs in this thread, however. Has anyone heard back from Apple about the 10.6.2 - 10.7.3 issue they introduced? I sent a few detailed and clear reports and didn't even get a reply.

More and more DAWs now have re-usable built-in effects racks you can build with splitting, routing, assignable macros and stuff like that.

Here's an existing new feature suggestion on this topic where you could add your voice and suggest specific features such as splitting, routing and macros:

"Plugin Stack" feature. Who wants this?

More and more DAWs now have re-usable built-in effects racks you can build with splitting, routing, assignable macros and stuff like that.

Here's an existing new feature suggestion on this topic where you could add your voice and suggest specific features such as splitting, routing and macros:

"Plugin Stack" feature. Who wants this?

Nice. Just copy Ableton here, their layout is perfect, couldn't be quicker or easier.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving the fixed behavior. I can finally sidechain correctly. I'm working on the coolest sounding track I've ever made right now, that wouldn't have been possible in Logic until now.

It kinda pisses me off, because for years I thought the issue was my engineering skills, couldn't figure out why I couldn't get stuff dialed in the way others were. Got caught thinking it was some elusive trick or skill. Nope, just a defective DAW.

I had no idea about the sidechain latency issues until the last few years. Now that they're fixed, and things are easily dialed in and sounding great, I'm a mix of elated to finally know what my issue has been, and absolutely pissed at Apple and Logic for wasting a countless amount of my time.

Fortunately most of what I've done the past 10 years is 4 on the floor, so Xfer's LFO did the trick, but every time I veered away from that I could never dial in the sidechain right, and could never catch the feel I was going for.

Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly is "fixed" now? For me it was not so much a problem with incorrect timing when using sidechain (eg. these pumping compressors, no timing problems with these), but latency introduced when playing notes (eg. recording midi events via playing my keyboard). Since about a year I have to either switch on the low-latency mode or remove all sidechain inputs if I wanted to have low enough latency to record my playing properly (that is without noticeable delay). I suppose this has not been fixed, or has it? The last time I tested this is about 2 weeks ago and the problem was still there ... :-(

Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly is "fixed" now?

The sidechain timing used to fall off when applied to busses if the project got past a certain point of tracks/busses. That's working now, bus away and the sidechaining remains locked in as it should.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Been a while since I checked in on this thread, moved over to Reaper due to this issue a few years ago and never looked back. Seeing that 10.7.5 just released and it's nearly 2023, have Apple yet addressed and fully fixed this issue for all scenarios it occurs in or is it still present in multiple ways?

On 7/19/2022 at 4:43 AM, ViktorL said:

I have the same problem. In my last Logic session I wanted to side chain the bass to the kick drum. And then my vocal tracks with Melodyne ARA got out of sync. I hope that this bug will be fixed in the next release.

Exact same issue here. If I have melodyne in the project and add any kind of sidechaining to a bus, it knocks all of the timing out of whack on melodyne. Really frustrating since it didn't used to do this before 10.6.2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same issue here, I just bought an m1 studio and went from my intel mini running Logic 10.5.1 to Logic 10.7.5 and now all my old projects are having major latency issues on tracks that have any external sidechaining. I still have my Intel Mac mini with 10.5.1 and have none of these issues. I guess i'll have to go back to that until these issues are corrected.

Unfortunate that I thought upgrading would improve my work flow, instead I'm just wasting time trying to figure out these issues. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know if the V14 Studiorack makes it reliably possible to use older Waves Plugin versions (that haven't been updated via the **** update plan). Talking about V10-12. I wrote to the W support and they told me it might work but they haven't tested it, I would test it myself but I though maybe someone already did that over a longer period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - I have not been mixing for a while but just recently got back into it.  I bought a new M1 mac mini running Ventura13.1 and Logic 10.7.6 

I am trying to sidechain Trackspacer on my bass track with my kick as the sidechain.  I am experiencing the awful latency and timing issue described here.  I am using the Trackspacer plugin on the bass audio track and using the sidechain input directly from the Logic Drummer instrument track.

I really would like to get this project finished.  I think I have read all of the posts in this topic but is there any workaround to this that doesn't completely wreck workflow?  I thought I read something about using busses, but couldn't find a clear how-to. I would hate to have to bounce everything to stems for example and mix in a new file with no/zero latency plugins and then not be able to make more tweaks without bouncing every time I do.

I would be grateful if someone could provide a reasonable workaround until this gets fixed.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, steinweg said:

Has anyone of you guys still hope, that they will finally fix this in the near future? It is soo annoying to work around it all the time... I have been reporting this every few months since 10.6.3 now, nothing happened.

Not really. With the amount of work they're pouring into Logic for iPad I have a feeling we'll see a new version with a subscription before we see this issue fixed for good.

Edited by sunbrother