Roland Vdrums problem with drum designer

MrGee
Go to solution Solved by skijumptoes,

Hi, I am having an issue getting my Roland TD1-DMK to trigger the correct sounds when using the drum designer in Logic Pro x.

Whenever I select any of the kits inside Logic (including the "Producer" kits) I have a problem with either the floor toms - or the Hi-Hats. The floor toms problem is that the "mid" and "low" floor toms sound exactly the same after selecting ‘Vdrums’ from the drum kit designer, - but the Hi-Hats work fine....and yet when I select ‘GM’ I get the floor toms to all sound different - but I have no open Hi-Hat sounds at all.

So I have a choice of having one floor tom sounding the same as one of the others - but at least having a functional HH - OR - having three different floor toms but no HH - so obvious we chose the former.

The profile of mapping being used by Logic Pro of the drums is "V-Drums" (there are only three choices "GM", "GM with scroll wheel" or "V-Drums")

When set to ‘GM’ I get the correct tom sounds, but no hi-hat, and when I select ‘Vdrums’ everything sounds great except my fooor tom is identical to my mid tom. This is obviously no use to me, please could somebody advise how to put this right? I don’t want to use audio out from my drum module but that may be my only choice

Thanks

Mark

• Solution

Is your drum brain set to defaults do you know?

There's Midi FX plugins that can remap the incoming signals to your requirements, above the Drum Kit instrument slot, Pick 'Scripter' from the list.

Then in Scripter pick 'Drum kit designer remapper', you can close the white script editor when it loads.

You can set the mappings yourself then, and change the channel strip as a preset for future use.

Thanks for reply, I’m a bit of a novice so lease forgive my ignorance!

Is the drum brain my Roland?

I have run the mapper as you suggested, how do I know which parameters to use? I’ve changed the floor tom value to something random but it just silenced it.

Thanks again

Mark

Ok, each of your drum triggers sends out a unique Note value. The drum brain is the Roland module that the pads plug into yes.

So, what you need to do is find out what note value your floor tom is (Hit it and look at the top of Logic, it will tell you the last key it receives). i.e. this is D3:-

1226084298_ScreenShot2019-02-06at23_36_49.png.3386f357af9a58243dc916cfd37be425.png

Then set that in the remapper to the drum you want the floor tom to control.

Note: The remapper works from top to bottom, so ensure that if you're mapping F1 (For example), it is not assigned to anything else above... Or else the first mapping will take priority.

Edited by skijumptoes

To save for future use:-

Click on the 'settings' button for that track, and pick 'Save Channel Strip...':-

2071288692_ScreenShot2019-02-06at23_38_12.png.308115bb96730f3c4dbf9c02ae7c23ba.png

Give it a name.

Then in future to recall, you click to the left of the settings button (A small grey arrow will show when you hover the mouse there) and the library will open with your user channel strip settings, i.e. i called it 'Mapped Drums', as an example.

898043175_ScreenShot2019-02-06at23_38_52.png.7512775638fe9fab839d4382dc7cb2a3.png

What this will do is open the Drum Designer with your mapping in place, so you haven't got to repeat the process, unless your change settings within the drum brain, or change hardware.

That’s a great help, Thankyou very much. I changed the display so I saw the notes I needed to re-map, and I managed to change all the values except the snare, which I can’t get to map correctly. I’m sure I’ll figure that part out though.

Mark

Download ‘snoize midi monitor’ from the internet may help you more, sometimes with e drums multiple triggers may occur (I.e. a rim, or different zones on cymbals), midi monitor will actually list the history of the drums as you hit them to help ascertain the actual data you need.

Also, be very mindful of double mapping the same note in that scripted plugin, the first instance will only be used if a note is accidentally assigned twice.

Great, I’ll try that. I got all the samples to trigger correctly now, other than the hi-hat, I can’t get the correct samples to trigger. I may just make di with the tom issue and edit it after recording.

Seems others have had this is issue with Roland Vdrums, very perculiar that you’d need to Dubai many workarounds with something like this.

I've got the really small V-Drum kit as i'm limited on space and what a kit to always be set up ready to use (TD-1KV), and i don't have any issues after i've spent time with re-mapping. But i generally use it with Steve Slate Drums*. Even then i've found that the hi-hat and cymbal zones seem to be reversed as to what is expected coming in. Yet the cymbal chokes work without adjustment.

But yes, i don't know why all v-drums don't work straight out of the box with plugins that have v-drums as a preset option. You'd think they'd follow a commonality for straight up toms, hats and kicks wouldn't you!! (?!)

Also, one thing to remember on the scripter (As all MidiFX Plugins) is that it is processing after the piano roll/sequencer, so you can adjust those mappings on playback too... Not just on live recordings, as you will see the actual data recorded by logic will be the raw data coming in. If that makes sense. It makes it easier to map without stretching your arm to the drums like superman! :)

*If interested you can get SSD5 with one kit for free - https://stevenslatedrums.com/ssd5/#SSD5FREE well worth getting while it's available, fully featured and has multi-outs.

Hi, i eventually managed to get things working the way I want, but not in a very elegant way!

1. Created a new software instrument track

2. Selected SoCal kit from the producer kits menu

3. Expanded the track view and selected the ‘Overheads’ sub-track, this allowed me to select the Drum Kit Designer. I’ve left the input mapping to ‘GM’, not ‘V-Drum’

4. I then ran the scripted tool, using Drum Kit Designer Vdrum compatibly

5. I then opened the midi environment

6. I created a new mapped instrument

7. I ran a cable from this instrument to the low tom sub track of the SoCal kit

8. I double-clicked in this software instrument to give me the keyboard editor

9. I changed the output note for low tom to ‘F1’

10. I reassigned the low tom sub track to this software instrument

I can now hear all the correct triggered sounds, but to record them I need to be recording on this low tom track, because if I try to record on the main SoCal host track it doesn’t play the correct tom track.

I saved the channel settings so I don’t to repeat this process.

So thanks again for helping, I got to a working solution in the end. Please let me know if you think there are any unnecessary steps in what it did!

Now I just to need to work out how to get the cymbal chokes working...

• 1 year later...

Hi Mark. I've been having the same issues with my TD-17KVX, so I looked into it. There is a much simpler fix by changing the assigned midi notes on your drum module:

1. Press and release the SELECT button until the DRUMS indicator is lit.

2. Press and hold the metronome button until the DRUMS indicator begins flashing.

3. Release the metronome button, and then press and release the SELECT button so that the COACH indicator is flashing.

4. Hit the pad that you'd like to set the MIDI Note Number for. (The currently assigned Note Number appears in the display.

5. Press the + or - button to choose the Note Number.

6. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 for any other pads as desired.

7. Press and release the Metronome button when you're finished. The new settings are saved automatically, and will be retained even if the TD-1's power is turned off.

Hope this helps!

FYI - this is the fix for the TD-17 module if anybody needs it:

1. Choose a Kit to edit.

2. Press the "OTHER" button.

3. Press the cursor down button once to access the second set of icons.

4. Press the function 3 button (MIDI NOTE).

5. Hit the pad that you would like to change or view the MIDI Note assignment for.

6. Turn the dial to select the Note Number.

7. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 for any remaining pads as desired.

8. When you're finished, press the DRUM KIT button. The new settings are saved in the kit automatically.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

great posts and replies everyone - I am also a new user with the TD17KVX and am having quite a learning curve. One issue is the hi-hat - sounds open when I am striking it as it is closed. I think I need this fix as well. In the scriptor it shows the same midi assignment/note for open and closed hi-hat.

My question is, which one do I change, and what do I change it to?

Also, another thing I don't understand, is when I make the changes you are outlining - remapping/reassigning - what am I changing the notes to? Or when I change them in the module, do they then correspond in Logic?

thanks

• 1 year later...

Hello-

So Im coming along late on this conversation.

I have recently purchased a TD-07kV. Similar issue as above however when I use the mapper none of the triggers are correct. For example if Low Tom is G2 I have to map to G1? That doesnt seem right. Also, when trying to map the hi-hat the open close edge/top are not working correctly.

The mapping definitely doesnt feel right especially since I need to use different keys.

Any help would be appreciated.