Imported MIDI Drums - Channel 10 - Can't hear

brettbarbaro
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi!

This is my first time posting.

I imported a midi file that I downloaded from the internet. 3 drum tracks on Channel 10, 11 instrument tracks on Channel 1. Press play, I hear the instrument tracks, but not the drum tracks. The level meters indicate that the drum tracks are playing, but no sound is coming out. I see the events in the region. Program is set to 16 = Power Kit.

I'm thinking there must be a simple solution. What am I missing?

Thanks!

You mention about that the program is set to 16=Power Kit.

Since I don't find any preset named as such, I gather that you are routing the drum track via MIDI to an external module device.

If you do use such an external MIDI device (drum machine, synth, etc), have you tried adjusting the MIDI channels to match between Logic and that device?

Otherwise, besides checking nothing had been muted or soloed, perhaps posting a screen capture of the track area, with the drum track region(s) selected and the mixer pane as well could be helpful. Mentioning the eventual drum plugin in use could also be useful.

• 1 month later...

@David

Yes! That did work! When I drag the drum tracks to the DLSMusicDevice, they play. Thanks!

My buddy and I want to download MIDI versions of classic rock songs, mute the piano and guitar, and play along. I had been hoping that I could import a midi file and just press play. Maybe change one setting. Something really fast and dirty, so it doesn't upset our flow.

Let me see if I understand this now.

The tracks on "Channel 1" automatically play General MIDI sounds. Where do the tracks on "Channel 10" go? I'm not using any external equipment. So Logic must have some kind of General MIDI sound module for Channel 1. Is there something similar for Channel 10? So I can just tell Logic "play General MIDI drums for all tracks on Channel 10"?

I'm afraid I still don't understand. Why are the instrument tracks able to "find" the correct instruments, but the drum tracks are not? Why do they show different options in the Library?

Ok I tried opening your MIDI file in Logic. Your drum tracks on channel 10 are assigned to "external MIDI instruments" which are designed to trigger an instrument outside of Logic (often a hardware synthesizer or sampler connected to your Mac). So if you don't have one connected the way Logic expects it, you won't hear those tracks.

Your other tracks are all on Channel 1 and they're assigned software instrument channel strips which produce sound in Logic itself so that you can hear them even if you don't have external instruments connected.

Why Logic elects to creates those tracks when you open that MIDI file, I'm not sure. I'll try to see if I can figure out why.

• Solution
I'm afraid I still don't understand. Why are the instrument tracks able to "find" the correct instruments, but the drum tracks are not? Why do they show different options in the Library?

Ok this is a bug: the default patch that is supposed to be loaded is no longer present in the library.

Here's a fix.

1. Quit Logic.

2. In your Applications folder, control-click Logic and navigate to Contents/Resources/Default Patches/

3. Overwrite the file GM_Instrument_Mapping_Logic.plist with the one I've attached here.

Now try to open your MIDI file and let me know if that works?

GM_Instrument_Mapping_Logic.plist

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am old cakewalk sonar user.

I have same problem in Logic pro and Garageband. Above gived solutions not work.

Both DAW's ignore opened (somewhere else created) midifile channels configuration. I see after file opening that, all channels changed to channel1 . That is an error.

After that they set up wrong (default) instrument to drumtrack.// because channel10 was changed to channel1.

I see they are using "Sampler" by default synth. It is not good for somewhere else created midi projects. it is good for with Logic's, Garageband's NEWLY created projects.

I don't see any possibilities to configure default "wavetable synth", (whatever, external syntheziser or softsynth) for somewhere else created midi projects. Why are here only midi inputs configurable, but not outputs?

I found DLS-MIDI-Synth from appstore. It looks like sonar's default synth (TTS-1).

Diferently sonar's, it not contain note counters, polyphony setings and presets. Why it is not included to Apple's DAW's?

I know only three DAW's which dont have such problem.

1. Cakewalk Sonar (win)

2. Anvil Studio (win)

3. Rosegarden (linux)

Now I found a solution: MuseScore, it works as I want. :)

They all have default midisynth configuration.

Thanks.

//maybe wrong place to ask that...

• 1 month later...
Hello, I think I’m having the same issues and inconvenience that olavsu1 have, I’m trying to use logical just to edit some few midi files that I recorded on a Yamaha psr sx900, and after doing a thousand of things I was able to adjust in some way to only a few things. After trying to learn and to understand the logic pro app as much as possible, I realize that probably this is not a software that permits this kind of things over midi files terminated or construct in other sequencers. I can see that logic is a very powerful tool if you construct your projects inside the app, or when producing midi with audio tracks, but when importing midis from other platforms things get really a mess. I agree with olasvsu1, that apps like cakewalk are so useful and powerful for constructing and editing this midi files created on other sequencers, the only problem is that its only made for PC base platform, they don’t have a mac alternative, something good, its download free. So, its a disappointment that logical is not so efficient, in my opinion, for this kind of needs.