Issue with Hardware Synths and Logic

pdougherty

I have an issue with the way Logic treats MIDI messages from hardware synths that I've never found a solution for. I've spent a lot of time looking this up already but I'm hoping there's a way someone can help me out.

I have 2 Moogs and 2 Dave Smith synths that have the same Control Change #'s for most parameters. For example...

-- CC102 controls the LPF cutoff for both the Prophet-6 & OB-6

-- CC27 controls the filter cutoff for both the Moog Voyager & Sub-37

Here's a scenario that illustrates the problem I'm having:

Let's say I have a project where I'm using both the Voyager and Sub37 at the same time. They each are getting sequences sent to them. I haven't fully dialed in the sound on either instrument, I'm not ready to record to audio yet but maybe I'm getting close..

Let's say I select the Sub37 track because I want to hear what it sounds like with a saturator plug-in. Or I'm changing a note or two on the sequence. I'm not recording anything at the moment, nor do I want to. So after I add that plug-in or move that note, I decide to adjust the filter on the Voyager. The Sub37 track is still selected, and yet because it's record-enabled (even though I didn't want to record anything at that moment) -- just because it's selected! -- all of my MIDI routing is effectively overridden. And by making an adjustment to my sound on the Voyager, I've screwed up my sound on the Sub37 I had carefully dialed in.

Thanks Logic! This has happened way too many times!

Here's the thing. Each of my synths is plugged into different ports on my MIDI interface (an iConnectivity MioXL). All the 4 synths are each transmitting on different and distinct MIDI channels. They're each being sequenced in Logic on separate External Instrument tracks. I set the proper MIDI channel in each in the inspector window. "Auto-Demix" is on -- or off, doesn't matter.

The filter control on the Voyager going to Port 3, channel 1 controls the filter of the Sub37 going to Port 6, channel 3. I hoped the MioXL would allow me to fix this, but since the MIDI signals all merge together once they hit Logic (whether you like it or not, and I definitely do not like it), it doesn't matter.

Even with my Sub37 connected via USB only (and no MIDI), adjusting the filter -- or filter decay, or resonance, env amount, you get the idea -- on the Voyager will change the same settings on the Sub37. The same is true with my Dave Smith synths (USB or MIDI).

I would like to have all my synths set up so I can record notes and especially CC automation into Logic (MIDI out of synth -> MDI in of interface). Because of the way Logic handles MIDI inputs I can't.

I have seen posts say the solution is to cable instruments from the Environment window -- but once you do this, you can no longer record CC automation. Is there another way to do this where you can still record automation into Logic from the synth's MIDI out?

I'd like to use these synths to their full capability. I've done plenty of hands on, non-recall-able automation. That's all you're really able to do in Logic unfortunately. Or you can only use one synth at a time. Unless you have a synth with a Software editor it's easy to be kinda screwed in Logic. Sadly, Dave Smith does not make software editors, but that's their prerogative and this isn't their fault.

I would like the option to record automation without it interfering with my other tracks, but I can't figure it out. I've made this post long because I want to make clear I've done my homework here and tried a lot of things out already. Maybe this will help others who have similar issues using Logic & Hardware (I hope so). Maybe I'm missing something really obvious and someone could just point it out (I'd love nothing more).

FWIW-- It's relatively straightforward to do this in Ableton, took me a bit but I figured it out over the past couple years for my live show.

I first posted about this replying to an older thread https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133017&p=810116#p810116 but never got a response so I'll try starting a new thread. Here goes nothing :)

By default, Logic routes all incoming MIDI activity to the selected track. So whatever MIDI CC's you're generating, from whatever synth, it will all be sent (and rechannelised) to the synth that's on the currently selected track.

You can multiplayer record, which it looks like you were setting Logic up to do - make sure each tramsmitting synth is on a different unique MIDI channel, and the channels on the receiving tracks match those, and record-enable them all/both. Auto demix must be On.

Now, MIDI you generate from each synth should be routed to the correct synth. If that's not happening (from your description it looks like it's not, so it's possible you missed a step - likely setting the track MIDI channels to matched the incoming data - we can try to troubleshoot this a bit.

Alternatively - you can just not mess with other synth's controls when your recording a different synth, to stop spurious MIDI data generated messing up with things. Or remember to select a non-MIDI track if you just want to mess with the synths without sending MIDI at all.

Also a quick note - recording MIDI CC's is not automation, it's just the sequencer recording MIDI CC's - so referring to this by "automation" is not the correct terminology and might be confusing.

Thanks for the response!

All of the synths are going to different and unique MIDI channels. I wish this was just a question of setting the MIDI channel properly, I wouldn't have needed to post here :)

As for referring to it as "automation," I really don't want to get into semantic discussions here, just want to solve the problem. It acts very much like region-based automation. You can view and edit it from the automation lanes on the piano roll and hyper editors. If you don't want to to call it automation and want to call it "sequencer data", all good I guess.

What does this mean... "from each synth routed to the correct synth"? Are you talking about routing in the Environment window?

All of the synths are going to different and unique MIDI channels. I wish this was just a question of setting the MIDI channel properly, I wouldn't have needed to post here :)

I'm not sure you understand me, or how to set this up (which is possibly why it's not working for you).

The synths need to be transmitting on unique MIDI channels, yes. But Logic distributes the incoming MIDI data to the various record-enabled tracks according to the *track's* MIDI channel - you have to match the track's MIDI channel with the incoming synths MIDI channel, otherwise Logic won't know which MIDI events should go to which track, and will instead just send them all to the first matching one (or the top one).

So, you have two synths transmitting MIDI data on MIDI channel 4 and 8. The first track needs to have it's MIDI channel set to 4 in the track inspector, and the second track needs to have it's track MIDI channel set to 8. Then you rec-enable both tracks. Now, when Logic sees incoming MIDI events in Auto Demix mode it goes - "what channel is this on? 4. Ok, do I have a rec-enabled track set to MIDI channel 4? Yes - ok, that event goes to that track" etc.

Otherwise, if the track channels aren't set correctly, Logic just sees no matching tracks for the incoming events and sends them all to the first one, as usual.

I hope I'm explaining myself clearly.

As for referring to it as "automation," I really don't want to get into semantic discussions here, just want to solve the problem.

Sure, but these threads serve more purposes than to solve your problem, and sowing extra confusion doesn't help in the long run. Hence why I mention it.

It acts very much like region-based automation. You can view and edit it from the automation lanes on the piano roll and hyper editors. If you don't want to to call it automation and want to call it "sequencer data", all good I guess.

Yep, it does, because Logic merged these two different functions into one interface for user convenience, but it is confusing and we've talked about this plenty of times here before and it's not the thread to rehash those debates, anyway! ;)

What does this mean... "from each synth routed to the correct synth"? Are you talking about routing in the Environment window?

See above. Nothing to do with the environment.

Why so patronizing? As I already noted in my original post, I have the track inspectors set correctly. Why do I have to mention this twice for you to believe me? I'm not sure.

Back to the substantive part of your reply. Auto-Demix.

This is the feature I don't understand. Why do you need to have multiple tracks selected for it to work? Why can't Logic keep the MIDI data separate when there is only one track selected?

It's rare that I even want to have more than one track selected at a time. The situation I clearly laid out in my first post is one in which I don't even need to have either track record-enabled -- I'm making adjustments to the sounds and not ready to commit yet, either by tracking audio or recording "sequencer CC data".

Having to select and record-enable multiple tracks to keep MIDI data separate doesn't make much sense. Is there a way where I don't have to do this?

Why so patronizing? As I already noted in my original post, I have the track inspectors set correctly. Why do I have to mention this twice for you to believe me? I'm not sure.

I'm not at all being patronising. I wasn't sure you were understanding me. You've now clarified that you are and you understand how it works, that's great.

I'm trying to help, so don't assume I'm trying to patronise you or anybody else.

This is the feature I don't understand. Why do you need to have multiple tracks selected for it to work?

Because that's how it works in Logic, unfortunately.

Why can't Logic keep the MIDI data separate when there is only one track selected?

Because Logic is designed to channel all incoming MIDI data to the selected track. The Auto Demix option is really a bit of hacky way on top of this design to be able to play different tracks from different controllers. It's a long time design choice/implementation, and while it's sensible for most people (who just want their controller to play the instrument they've selected), there are people with multiple controllers and hardware where this design is a long-standing pain point - it has been for years, and is a *much* requested improvement request.

It's rare that I even want to have more than one track selected at a time. The situation I clearly laid out in my first post is one in which I don't even need to have either track record-enabled -- I'm making adjustments to the sounds and not ready to commit yet, either by tracking audio or recording "sequencer CC data".

Yes, I understand your use case. I'm telling you how Logic works, and advising on how to best work with it.

Having to select and record-enable multiple tracks to keep MIDI data separate doesn't make much sense. Is there a way where I don't have to do this?

In Logic, no. Unlike, say Cubase or Live, Logic does not have individual settings per track to route incoming MIDI to.

I think you just need to get used to making sure you don’t have the wrong track selected at any moment. I think relying on midi demux will frustrate you even more I can’t stand using that feature myself you have even more to keep track of.

Logic has this “feature” of automatically routing the live channel from any port and it often is of benefit but in this case it’s messing you up. Just make sure to always select the track you want the info sent to. Keep a dummy track around also that you can select that sends to nothing.

Alternatively you can create some environment thing that has switches to determine whether to send incoming midi through the sequencer with its automatic routing or directly to instruments etc which might help to keep you out of trouble when you are at the phase of not recording any more notes but want to be able to select different tracks at will while programming cc automation lanes

@Dewdman42

I hear ya. Not a fan of Auto-Demix either for the reason you just said.

I try to be careful about which tracks I have selected but it's so frustrating when you lose a sound you carefully dialed in.

I've tried patching it in the Environment window. My normal template is very busy so I made this from scratch and left a couple tracks off-screen for this screenshot ("Master" "Click" & "Preview"). Here's what I've done based on other forum posts I've seen + Youtube vids, etc.

1447687857_ScreenShot2021-01-19at1_14_45PM.png.df5c832ba9c1812e50fd0839c98d0509.png

Like most Logic users I try to avoid the Environment window, maybe this is missing something basic?

Anyways, once you do this, you get rid of one problem. The filter on my Voyager no longer controls the filter on my Sub37 -- even if I'm adjusting the Voyager while the Sub37 track is selected (+ record enabled).

However you have a new problem. I can't record any CC data now from the Voyager (Rackmount). I also can't record notes or CC data from the Sub37. As far as I can tell, I might as well not have MIDI OUT connected from either synth.

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse but if there any environment wizard's out there it's worth a shot. Thanks

When you route this way, you're bypassing the sequencer - in effect, you're stealing the incoming MIDI from those ports, routed them round the back of the sequencer directly to the instruments.

Great, as now the selected tracks in the sequencer don't affect anything, but not so great, as the MIDI never reaches the sequencer and thus can't be recorded.

It either goes through the sequencer (and via the track assignments on the arrange page) or it doesn't unfortunately.

Trust me, I've been using Logic for nearly 30 years - if there was a good solution to the multi-instrument MIDI bottleneck, I'd know about it and would have told you already. ;)

You might be able to hack up some switching/routing system which works for you, but it doesn't solve your problem, it just gives you some new switches to pull to route different things to different places depending on your needs - but if you have to remember to do that, you might as well just skip it and use the arrange routing and remember to do that. In either case, it won't be a set-and-forget thing.

For your purposes, and for people with related needs, Apple needs to rework the MIDI input handling to let you have an option to use it as it works now (ie channelise everything to the selected arrange track), *or* use a new port/channel MIDI input setting per track.

However, Apple have been extremely unwilling to change this so far, probably because part of it means significantly upgrading the environment away from it's core concept of routing standing MIDI (which has no concept of a "MIDI port"). And they seem extremely unwilling to touch that part of the code, which underlies everything and goes back to Logic 1.x.

So, you can add a feature request for this if you like, but people have been requesting this since, hmm, probably about Logic 4.x days from memory, maybe even before, and we still don't have it. For me - it's not something that affects my workflow, I kinda like the way it is, but like I say, for a small amount of the userbase, the implementation is a pain.

k, so first....we have acknowledged that LogicPro has this automatic live routing feature. As a side note I just want to say that most all DAW's are able to do what Logic Does in this regard and do so by default. For example, in Cubase, if you create a track, the default is to set the midi input for the track as "All" or some such name...which essentially routes all incoming midi to that track. Just like LogicPro does. The difference is that Cubase also provides a way to explicitly define exactly one midi port to use as input for a track...which LogicPro currently does not.

Ok, that behind us, what can you do?

You have an "opportunity" to learn a little bit about the environment. Once you set this up and save it as a template, then it should work ok for you to avoid the headaches you're having.

So in the environment there is a kind of object called a cable switcher.

switcher.thumb.jpg.2aa9c79f07e2e912251b43a16a53e5c5.jpg

The purpose of the cable switcher is that you can click on it (or use a midi message to control it), and it will switch which cable the midi goes through it. So in a most basic sense, add a cable switcher object. Set its range to "0 1". Cable one output to the sequencer (through the keyboard) and the other cable to whatever instrument channel you want it to feed to when its not being routed through the sequencer.

here is an example image, note on the left the Range parameter is set to "0 1"

circuit.thumb.jpg.545c327ab515d7d98a687cd841de0635.jpg

That is extremely simplistic example so that you understand in the most simplest terms how the environment can be used to switch easily between two modes of operation..one more where you route your controller through the sequencer (for recording), and another mode where it will bypass the sequencer and go directly to any instrument channels you want.

You can get more tricky in the environment to make it more refined, so that you can have one nice neat and tidy panel with buttons on it that you always use to quickly switch the mode you're in. You can get tricky with using a CC or perhaps a midi Keyswitch to make the switch. Also if you want some kind of single master switch that would automatically effect all input controllers at the same time, that would be a more complicated environment....just want to point out..something generally like this above is what you can do to make things easier.

Ultimately, I think when you are working with the piano roll and automation lanes to program CC automation, its very easy to basically end up selecting tracks as you go. So basically just use record mode when you really need to record through the sequencer (which is where that automatic live routing functionality resides. Otherwise, route your controllers directly where you want them to go when you are not recording...and then in that mode the track header selection will have no influence on the routing because you'll be bypassing it.

I also made a complicated environment setup...that is perhaps general enough and may suit your needs, or may not, but you can at least examine it for ideas.... I have to find that thread and will in my next post.

@des99

It's good to have that perspective. I started using Logic in version 9 and have only had enough hardware for this to be an issue for the last 2-3 years.

This may never work the way I'd like, but there must be a more elegant solution than unplugging and replugging MIDI out cables or switching the settings on Auracle (MioXL software)... which brings me to @Dewdman42 !

Wow, impressive! I tried out the template you built and to be honest, I can't get it working on my setup, but it looks great. This cable switcher thing is something I'd really like to try, albeit on a smaller scale & tailored to my gear. Especially for the 4 pieces that conflict with each other -- the 2 Moogs and the 2 DSI's.

1217376327_ScreenShot2021-01-19at5_34_14PM.png.0dbfa7cfaf6060bc6446d9009dec3faa.png

Here's one with switchers just for the Moogs. When the switcher has output 0 each goes to the sequencer, output 1 it goes to the instrument object (in mixer view), bypassing the sequencer.

But I'm not sure how to set basically anything in this inspector window for the Cable Switcher besides "Assignable" and "Range". This includes the CC# input and output, the channel input and output.

I have a Panorama T4 as a MIDI controller and that's what I'd like to use to control the Cable Switchers. It's possible to assign CC's to sliders using "Internal Mode" but I can't get it to work for controlling the Cable Switcher. If I were to set the switchers to CC messages 33,34,35 & 36, it wouldn't interfere with any of my other hardware. So that's what I've tried to do, but my MIDI controller isn't sending the message.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help so far

two things, one, make sure to read the whole thread I quoted earlier, not just download the template. I made long winded posts about how to tweak it for your specific setup. You should be able to get it working.

That being said, If you want to learn more environment, then no time like the present...

You can change the look of the switcher to look like a button or popup menu, by editing the "Style" parameter in the inspector.

The Input field is where you can specify an input midi event that will set its value. Right now in your above image its set to CC33. The Output parameter specifies if CC33 should be converted to something else as it passes through.

Here's an environment guide that may help you get started with some of that stuff: http://www.lipscomb.umn.edu/docs/MusicTech/LogicEnvironmentTutorial.pdf

What you want to do is specify a CC# to use (right now its 33), then the actual value from that controller sent from your T4 will determine whether the cable switcher will be set to 0 or 1. So you would want to edit your T4 so that it also limits the range it sends to 0-1 also.

@Dewdman42,

I should have spent more time with your template before commenting. But now that I have spent a bit more time, I realize it's actually much more complicated than what I think I need. In other words, what you did is really awesome but my needs are simpler. And I think I've come close, but I've run into a small snag.

Here is a dumbed down version of a switcher, just for my two moogs (the sub37 and voyager, if anyone cares or has similar gear)

I'd set the range appropriately, but the switcher only works if I have a cable going from the Physical Input to the Switchers from the MIDI controller output (red checkmark). Otherwise the switcher doesn't receive any CC's from my MIDI Controller.

910222108_ScreenShot2021-01-22at12_19_30PM.png.d21bf90c5c388e2fdc6b0d7d5643468d.png

But this isn't really a solution because then any notes I play on the Voyager External Instrument track will get sent to the Sub37. So that's no good.

1088621824_ScreenShot2021-01-22at12_24_09PM.png.06edb66019d76afcc474e5d09ead6179.png

Is there a way where the switchers can only get the CC's from my MIDI controller but otherwise my controller acts normally?? If so that would be a really smooth setup.

Essentially I'd have the first 4 buttons be toggles for each of the switchers. If the button is red, the switcher would go directly to the sequencer, making it suitable for recording notes and CC data. If the button is black, it would go straight to the instrument track (so it wouldn't interfere with other hardware). And I could put up little labels just so I don't forget which is which.

IMG_4114.thumb.jpg.9fcdba880461f7c03c73d338ab43a449.jpg

Also, even though the MIDI controller has multiple outputs, for better or worse, note data and CC data are coming from the same port, Panorama T4 Internal (I just double-checked this on MIDI Monitor).

Apologies if this issue is something I should bring up to Nektar but since you're clearly an expert both with the environment and setting up control surfaces I wanted to run it on here first.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help so far!

Is there a way where the switchers can only get the CC's from my MIDI controller but otherwise my controller acts normally?? If so that would be a really smooth setup.

Sure. Transformer objects can filter and modify MIDI events. So you can use transformers set to only pass the CC's you want to one cable path, and filter those CC's out from another path.

It’s not entirely clear to me what you’re trying to do exactly but I am sure you can do it in the environment with the right configuration.

As des said you can use transformers to filter midi and you may have to get a little creative with how the cables merge and split. There are so called meta events also that you can read about; which can be used to drive the parameters of transformers, so that you will be able to accomplish what you seek to do. I’m away from main computer for most of the weekend so I can’t say more for now.

What you are wanting to do is cool! But it’s actually more complicated then the environment setup I posted earlier. The one I posted is not setup to use midi switches for changing it. That would be a good improvement though I will look into that later. But anyway it will work for you for now to get you going but the only thing is you use the GUI panel to switch the controllers through the sequencer rather then buttons on your nektar. But it should isolate each controller to avoid the problem you are most needing to solve.

But anyway you can try the transformer as des suggested, for now maybe that will solve the issue, or in the cable switcher itself just have the output parameter be something different that won’t bother your synths

@des99

Tried Transformer objects. Not sure if this was the best way to go about it, but I tried sending the CC messages for the patch switcher on MIDI Channel 11 -- which isn't used by any of my gear -- and using a Transformer to filter so only those messages on Channel 11 would arrive at the switchers.

Long story short, I couldn't get it to work -- that is, controlling the Switchers from my main MIDI controller. I don't want to confuse anyone reading this by going into it any further. But If you really want to do that, I bet it would be pretty easy to set up on a 2nd, smaller controller. I'd try it with an Akai LPD if I had one but in the long run it isn't that important because...

It doesn't really need to be controlled on a MIDI controller in the first place. @Dewdman42 what you said made me realize this.

I updated my big template and added 4 cables switchers on a new Environment layer which I call "Switchers"

The Cable Switchers are each of the style "Button 6" so you have a on/off switch, which I think does this particular job best. Also set the range from 0 to 1. Also make sure the input of each Cable Switcher comes from the Physical Input (whichever layer the Physical Input happens to be in, in my template it's on the Mixer layer).

"Off" / the default = is the first output of the switch, which goes to the respective External Instrument MIDI track in the Mixer layer. This overrides the sequencer. If you had a different style (instead of Button 6), this is when it would say "0"

"On" / blue = is the 2nd output of the switch, this goes to "input notes" in the "Clicks & Ports" layer. This goes to the sequencer. If you had a different style of button, this is when it would say "1".

For example, if the Sub37 Switcher is in the off position, I can't record MIDI (notes or CC) from it. I also won't adjust the filter of the Voyager by accident if the Voyager is the track I have selected in the main window.

If the Sub37 Switcher is in the "On" position, I can record MIDI, I can adjust other synths etc. So unless I need it on, I'll leave it off.

And ditto for my other 3 instruments that have been causing me problems (since they transmit the same CC's for the same parameters).

So this is what my template looks like when I open it now. Nothing crazy but gets the job done. Glad to have figured this out :)

414023811_ScreenShot2021-01-23at6_31_54PM.thumb.png.b97937666e685800c300217fd9ac3836.png

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2021 at 7:30 PM, pdougherty said:

@Dewdman42

1447687857_ScreenShot2021-01-19at1_14_45PM.png.df5c832ba9c1812e50fd0839c98d0509.png

I wonder how you were able to give the names to the mioXL inputs. I changed the names in Auracle for the mioXL, but they never appear in Logic. It says only mioXL DIN 1, mioXL DIN 2 etc etc.  And in the MIDI environment itself in Logic I don't see how you can rename them.

14 hours ago, Dewdman42 said:

I'm not sure what you're referring to that I did?

On one of your screenshots I see written on the left "mioXL DIN 1 - PROPHET", "mioXL DIN 2 - OB6" etc. I wonder how you were able to change the names from ""mioXL DIN 1" to "mioXL DIN 1 - PROPHET" for instance.
None of the names I gave in Auracle to the mioXL in/outs appears in Logic Pro. And neither I can change these names in the MIDI environment. Looking at your screnshot it seems you were able to do edit these names.

Edited by nubie

16 hours ago, nubie said:

I wonder how you were able to give the names to the mioXL inputs. I changed the names in Auracle for the mioXL, but they never appear in Logic. It says only mioXL DIN 1, mioXL DIN 2 etc etc.  And in the MIDI environment itself in Logic I don't see how you can rename them.

You can create a virtual MIDI studio in the utility Audio MIDI Setup: you can name your MIDI interface, and name the devices that you connect to the ports of your MIDI interface. The custom names you choose will then be displayed on the Physical Input object in Logic's MIDI Environment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

You can create a virtual MIDI studio in the utility Audio MIDI Setup: you can name your MIDI interface, and name the devices that you connect to the ports of your MIDI interface. The custom names you choose will then be displayed on the Physical Input object in Logic's MIDI Environment.

Excellent. Thanks a lot. I didn't think about that!

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 10:17 AM, nubie said:

Hey @nubie 

Renaming the channels in Audio-Midi setup is one way to do it. You can also rename them in Auracle.

I recall being advised by iConnectivity's support that renaming in Auracle was better, but tbh I can't remember why -- it's one of those "set it and forget it" things. 

You can rename your MIDI I/O channels in Auracle under Device Routing and scroll down to "Device Port to Computer/DAW." Click on the channel to get the pencil tool and then it's easy to rename. 

image.png.9592075c506d66133d8ef25d550556ef.png