Terrible Logic Pro X Performance (M1 MAX MacBook Pro)

SomeMusicKid44

What is confusing to me is that the new Macbooks and Logic 10.7 seem to work for some people, hence the rave reviews. So I sometimes think that there might be something wrong with my Macbook... I have 3 Days left to send it back and am still undecided.

Are you running any 3rd party plugins?

What do you hook up to your laptop?

Yes, 3rd Party Plugins (FabFilter, Soundtoys, U-He, UAD, PluginAlliance) are used and I hook it up to an UAD Apollo x8p. But I can provoke those clicks even with a small track count, logic Plugins and the internal soundcard.

The most recent feature: When logic is open in rosetta mode and I open Itunes, play a song and move the mouse. I get loud pops.

I'm also have the same issues on a M1max, 64gb. Pops, clicks, 2 cores are spiking while using Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt.

In a specific case of a 3 track project - I have all the issues listed in this thread but they go away when switching the input to my Mac internal mic instead of the Apogee. Any word if there are older versions that are more stable?

EDIT: I have the same issues when using 10.7 and 10.6.2 on the m1max

My 2015 machine runs the same project without any issues.

Hmm... Interesting. I wonder if there's something going on with USB? I haven't tried built-in audio, to verify another user's observations, but if the problem comes back I may give it a shot. The version of 10.6.2 I installed is running fine now, mind you; none of the issues I was having on 10.7.2.

Very mysterious... What version of the OS are you on?

I've been going in circles with this problem for the last few weeks and I think I just solved it for my own use case. I tried 10.7.2 and 10.6.3 with and without rosetta and still kept seeing one core spiking constantly. I noticed that all of the projects with the spiking and pop and click issues had the same plugin in the project - Scaler by PluginBoutique. I removed Scaler and the spikes disappeared instantly. Everything returned to normal, even in native mode. No noticeable issues. The key was actually removing the plugin, not just disabling it. Perhaps others have their own problematic plugin that they're overlooking like I was.

Good luck all, and thanks for being here to give me a place to look for answers and ideas about how to solve my problem.

Yeah, interesting. Thanks for mentioning this. I suppose it may be that something in the init process gets banjaxed just by scanning and validating the plugin? It's certainly very possible that I have some not-quite-happy plugins in my system. Out of curiosity, does that plugin "work" otherwise? I'm using Kontakt regularly, for example, and it works fine, but that doesn't mean it's not causing the system some grief.

Kontakt has been working fine for me. I'll check the other potential problematic one: MODO Bass by IK Multimedia. As for Scaler and it's ability to work, well... sort of. It works and then hangs and then works again. I haven't opened the CPU monitor to watch for spikes, but I'm willing to bet the hangups coincide.

Ah, okay, so Scaler is kinda funky. Maybe I'll go through everything installed and just double-check that they all basically work. If anything is funky I can remove it for now and see if things are better. Mind you, my 10.6.2 is running okay for now, so I may leave it for now. Sleeping dogs and all that... :)

EDIT: I only mention Kontakt because it's "officially" not supported on Monterey, btw. It seems to work fine for me, too.

I’m starting to think the issue is either 1) The way logic is enabling midi tracks. Because some kontakt libraries I have (bass synth or Triaz for example) will completely spike the cpu meter just by selecting that track. After a few seconds the CPU spike resolves itself and I can record and play whatever I need to play, most of the time..

2) MacOS Monterey may be the culprit as most plugins are not “officially” supported.

However I just ran a 96khz session full of Kontakt and Plugin Alliance and didn’t have any major issues playing things back in Rosetta. So it’s kind of hard to pin point one thing that may be causing poor performance.

I had poor performance on my new Mac with Logic, Cubase runs much better.

I eliminated the hd external usb hub, that helped loading time a lot. But this dude has some great tips for tuning Logic.

His tips helped a lot.

Oh yeah helpful video I remember watching that. However the performance issues are still unsolved with any tinkering in settings I’ve done recently. Hopefully a new update fixes the issues that seem to effect M1 pro/Max users more than M1.

• 1 month later...
A quick test on 10.7.3 seems to improved things for me. What are you seeing on your systems?

Updated to Mac 12. 3 and Logic 10.7.3

My first impression is, much better performance. I will check some old songs from my 2017 iMac i7 rig which were not possible to work with on my M1Max MBPro

A quick test on 10.7.3 seems to improved things for me. What are you seeing on your systems?

Improved things here too, in a first quick look.

I notice some improvements as well. The CPU meter hasn't been maxing out for me, but I noticed yesterday when working on a 96khz session I was getting some pops and clicks and the song kept jumping back to the playhead and restarting several times even though the CPU wasn't maxed out or peaking. The only difference I can find is that I started using the PA 9000 J throughout the session and before I didn't use it because it was causing this behavior. I figured with M1 update it would be better but doesn't seem to be.

Anyone else have issues with the bx_console plugins?

• 3 months later...

I was having issues with this kind of stuff on my hackintosh a while back, though probably not quite the same. What I found out was that some plugins have an option for 'multi-core' that Logic absolutely does not support in virtual instruments. So Superior Drummer 3 was causing all kinds of havoc because I enabled this. Diva was also causing issues. Once I disabled this option I got much better performance overall. Consider disabling it in Kontakt as well? (not sure if it has it, but it wouldn't surprise me). In most of the manuals for these, it will say Logic doesn't support it. I wish it had some kind of 'daw detection' instead and would simply grey out the option somehow. This was messing me up for a good while. 

In general, some plugins can just wreck havoc in certain configurations. 

Another issue I've found comes down to more guesswork. I've seen some plugins need more 'lookahead' than others. For plugins that need a lot of lookahead, I think it's occasionally possible that the lookahead can exceed the maximum buffer Logic allows, which causes the whole system to get extremely sluggish and wonky. Again, I am guessing to a good extent here. 

And the last issue I've encountered (not lately, but I also haven't been doing as much work) is with projects with video tracks. It seems like occasionally a 'section' of song can get corrupted when it comes to time. I'll encounter the same weird stumble at the exact same spot after this glitch occurs. Once it happens it's really hard to remove. I think I've occasionally had luck with removing the video and video track entirely, but sometimes I actually have to copy and paste all the regions into an all new project and copy paste all the settings, etc to remove it. This does seem to possibly by related to the multicore bug I mentioned, but I don't recall the specifics. 

It's also been a bit since I updated etc, so it's possible these bugs have been fixed and replaced with new ones. Hopefully some of these may help.

Multi-core options, eg Diva, worked fine for me on my old Intel MBP, and gave improved performance.

On the M1, multicore doesn't work so great. Even plugins that implicitly used multicore in their audio engine (eg the latest Korg plugins opsix and wavestate), gave terrible performance on the M1, and Korg had to rework their engine to not use a multicore/multithread engine (and the performance radically improved as a result.)

As with most things, you need to play with various options to determine the best config on your system...

• 5 months later...

I'm having all of the above issues on my M1Max MacStudio - it's been driving me crazy. I've tried a full wipe and reinstall of Monterey (I had originally done the migrate assistant as recommended by Apple - which I'd assumed had caused the issues in Logic), however the fresh wipe and install made no difference.

I'm getting constant CPU spikes, running either full stock plugins, or with third party. I tried a process of elimination when I wiped it, reinstalling things one by one and testing. Stock gave exactly the same issues, in particular with Alchemy. Then when I loaded in Arturia Pigments, identical issues. 

Every I/O buffer level gives the same result, bad latency, glitches, pops, crackles, playhead jumping back to the start for no reason mid playback, random channel spikes where the audio maxes. I've tried various multithreading options, lots of other tweaks here and there and combinations of each - no difference and no improvement.

I'm on MacStudio M1 Max (10 Core CPU, 32 Core GPU), 64gb RAM, 2TB SSD, running latest Monterey, with SSL 2+ (USB C), Nektar LX88+ (USB C), and plugins from Soundtoys, Arturia, U-he, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Oeksound, Kilohearts and others. All updated, all M1 Native, no Intel 64. I did try Rosetta but performance was woefully worse. 

Someone on another board suggested I freeze tracks. What is the point of an M1 Max if we have to freeze tracks? My 2015 MBP had no problems running 40 tracks with plenty of third party stuff. It was only in the final few years I had to start freezing things, which was why I upgraded and invested a lot into the MacStudio. Total waste of money so far. Apple have been zero help, I've written complaints, spent hours on phone to their tech team and to the pro apps team, nothing. They've 'not had any other reports of problems' which is a total lie. They say their engineers are looking at the Support Profile I've shared, to figure out what the problem is. This has been ongoing since July! 

If anyone who has had these problems has managed to sort it, please do let me know.