Mono very narrow to widen stereo very full is this true

I was wondering is this true You can use mono audio sources example a helicopter coming towards You from faraway

by being in mono this would be a very narrow location in the stereo field

and as it gets closer to You would widen it so it gradually fills up the full stereo field?

I hope this make sense

Thanks

I was wondering is this true You can use mono audio sources example a helicopter coming towards You from faraway

by being in mono this would be a very narrow location in the stereo field

and as it gets closer to You would widen it so it gradually fills up the full stereo field?

I hope this make sense

Thanks

Are you asking if this is true, as in, is it how it happens in real life?

If so, I would say yes. I mean, the farther away, the less stereo image you have, compared to it being closer to you, especially because then you have the sound bouncing off surfaces around you.

If you want to convert mono to stereo, I suggest the WIDER plugin. It's the only plugin I've tried so far that doesn't change the sound AT ALL when you convert your output to mono. And... it's FREE!!!! ;)

Thanks I will try the wider plugin with automation from mono to stereo and then mono again as helicopter goes away

Question since it out side what kind of realistic reverb should I use?

Space Designer is a convolution reverb, so it's using real life ambients. There's also impulse responses online that you can download if the ones coming with SD are not enough.

Also, don't forget that in this particular case, it's not really a reverb that will help you much, but more of the ambient sound such as the city noise, cars, wind, etc, because if you think about it, a helicopter in the air, doesn't really have many surfaces around it to make the sound bounce and create a "Reverb" per se. Does it make sense?

You said this will won’t do much with reverb since there no sound bounce around

but I found in SD a few outdoors reverb would those be useful?

And then use a little bit of compression with to even it out or

I trying to get the helicopter to sound is best

I put it up on sound cloud so You see what I am working with

Sorry I am new to sound design forgive for dumb questions

You said this will won’t do much with reverb since there no sound bounce around

but I found in SD a few outdoors reverb would those be useful?

And then use a little bit of compression with to even it out or

I trying to get the helicopter to sound is best

I put it up on sound cloud so You see what I am working with

Sorry I am new to sound design forgive for dumb questions

No need to apologize. There are no dumb questions... only dumb people who ask no questions at all, because they are afraid of sounding dumb hahaha

Think about this: a helicopter in the air, doesn't have surfaces around it, right? Unless there are buildings, mountains, or stuff like that. Now it all depends on the listener's position as well, because the sound from the helicopter can hit the surfaces around the listener. It's really about thinking about the scenario and understand what's happening around you (the listener). It would sound weird that you use a cavern reverb on a helicopter that's supposed to be up in the air on an open field, right?

So if you find one of those outdoors to work for you and sound natural, there's nothing wrong with using them. You are the final judge, in the end ;)

• 1 month later...