Please Share Your Thoughts on this Mix

Christopher11

If it were me, I'd suggest that "high" is actually a problem.

Each time the piano sounds a note, it feels to my ear like there's a "sugar sprinkling" of high frequencies rising endlessly above it. Which sounds quite unnatural. Trying to put my finger on it ... here goes: There are absolutely no low frequencies – no "overtones" – extending below the sounded note. Not only should the piano player be providing bass notes, but the treble notes that we now hear ought to be naturally supplying overtones beneath. There are also too many "highs."

Very helpful, thank you. Well I have a kind of cinematic drone sound, ambience from a piano (Kontakt patch) beneath it, which I find agreeable to give the song vibe. but perhaps you're right. I should reduce the highs. I'm switching to FF Pro Q for my EQ too, which sounds more gentle and more musical to my ears. Perhaps I'll switch to that and reduce the amount a bit. I found a really good 1928 Steinway sampled piano for this song, but I so wish it was a real grand. It's just so much better in every way.

I suggest that – as you develop the mix, you should also develop the composition. Write a bass part. Maybe allow that bass part to follow a sequence of notes that is not directly aligned to the treble melodic part: maybe not "counter melody" but certainly legato. Create another, brand-new contrasting part for your lead part to play against.

I think that you have a very nice accomplishment already, with "what you have so far set out to work with." But I think that the underlying composition could be more fleshed-out ... and that doing so will definitely improve both "your mix" and the entire song as a whole.