• 14.7 million pixels

• 600 nits of brightness

• 1 billion colors

• P3 wide color

• More info: https://www.apple.com/studio-display/

3. New black and silver Magic Keyboard, Trackpad, and Mouse

black-keyboard.thumb.jpg.69691a17eeb6cb1c29d979ffc162266f.jpg

• More info: https://www.apple.com/shop/mac/accessories

the mac studio and a monitor from elsewhere seems like an excellent investment; even the baseline specs for the mac are impressive (and if you go for the 512gb ssd, you can always connect external drives for more storage). the monitor looks great, tho...

am considering this myself...

I'm definitely interested in the Studio Display and New Touch ID keyboard. Anyone know whether both will work as seamlessly on an Intel MacBook Pro? (16inch)

I don't think the remote Touch ID on the keyboard will work on an old machine, I think it requires hardware features of the current machines.

the mac studio and a monitor from elsewhere seems like an excellent investment;

I'm running a £300 4K 27" LG monitor, scaled to taste, and it's excellent to be honest. No problems not running it at native resolution - it looks fantastic.

If you want 5K, you're looking at £1000+ for the LG 5K, so the Apple display, at £1600 ($=£ unfortunately here), while expensive, isn't *that* far off.

Apple are going to sell a *ton* of these.

Interesting point in the keynote - John Ternus said that only leaves one Mac to go for the transition - the Mac Pro. He partly said this so people didn't think the Studio was a replacement for the Mac Pro, or the Mac Pro wasn't being transitioned. But also - the 27" iMac is still Intel, and I can't believe they are going to drop that (very popular) model in favour of the Mac Studio and an External display. So why would he say it only leaves one Mac to go before the transition is complete..?

Edit: It seems the Mac Studio + Display *are* indeed replacing the 27" iMac, according to MacRumours. So that would explain that...

Also note: the high end Intel Mac Mini is still for sale currently... I would have thought it would have been phased out in favour of the Studio, unless they are just going to run the stocks down and then pull it...

The prices hike up steeply here in Europe unfortunately. I''m probably getting a baseline Mac Studio. But over $1,900 for a Studio Display is just insane for a Logic user, I'm afraid I'll have to look into other manufacturers for the display. :(

If you know of any where to buy a good display/screen for the Mac Studio please let me know :D .

The new Apple Display is to expensive. But the Mac Studio is very attractive.

The prices hike up steeply here in Europe unfortunately. I''m probably getting a baseline Mac Studio. But over $1,900 for a Studio Display is just insane for a Logic user, I'm afraid I'll have to look into other manufacturers for the display. :(

If it helps, I'm using an HP VH240a monitor that I'm very pleased with. No glare, plenty big enough, 23.8 inches for $170 USD.

you can get an LG, or samsung (or whatever) monitor; you could get a ROOMFUL of them for the price of one apple monitor (altho am NOT saying it's not worth it's price).

also, keep in mind; no keyboard or mouse comes with this mac (but that's true with the minis as well)...

Thats great. Mac studio with a cheaper display/monitor

Edit: It seems the Mac Studio + Display *are* indeed replacing the 27" iMac, according to MacRumours. So that would explain that...

Yup, makes sense. I prefer modular for studio setups. You buy the monitor you want.

Until June maybe?

Totally agree, think I am also going for the baseline Mac Studio, do you think it will be compatible with my old Apple Thunderbolt 27 display?

By the way will the normal Apple keyboard still working with the M1 Macs?

I don't see why it would not work. The only real advantage of the new keyboard is the Touch ID.

I thought because of this: Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad for Mac models with Apple silicon - US English - Black Keys

I don't see why it would not work. The only real advantage of the new keyboard is the Touch ID.

Because they had to do some specific engineering to securely transmit the touch id stuff wirelessly. I remember reading about it around the iMac M1 launch, but I can't remember the specifics.

In any case, if you are looking to do this, I'd google around first to be sure to avoid disappointment in case it doesn't work.

Because they had to do some specific engineering to securely transmit the touch id stuff wirelessly. I remember reading about it around the iMac M1 launch, but I can't remember the specifics.

In any case, if you are looking to do this, I'd google around first to be sure to avoid disappointment in case it doesn't work.

I think we've got our wires crossed.

I was under the assumption that the question was in relation to existing Mac keyboards working with Silicon Macs. (obviously with no Touch ID).

I thought the post was asking about using the *new* keyboards, with an old Intel Mac (it was specifically an Intel Mac mentioned in the post, not an Apple silicon Mac, unless I'm very much mistaken - the post has been edited now so I can't tell.) I said they should work, but the touch ID probably won't - so there would be no point getting the touch ID version.

The older keyboards will work just fine with the new Macs. I'm using both an old wired Apple keyboard with number pad, and a wireless one without number pad on my M1 Pro MBP just fine.

27 inch iMac with the Pro, Max chip. Yes

The Mac Studio with the 27 inch display replaced the 27 iMac Pro.

Apple said in the presentation there's only the Mac Pro left for the Apple Silicon transition.

sure, but seems logical to expect a more-pro imac at some point this year; the current imac is very 'consumer-oriented...

I've been listening to some discussion on this. That they've EOL-ed the 27" iMac for now is interesting.

Given that the display panels used for the 27" iMac are exactly the same as the ones in the new displays, I'm wondering if they've partly killed the 27" iMac to make sure they can service the demand for the new displays in these times of supply constraints. Then they can possibly bring the 27" iMac back at some point in the future when supply fulfillment is stronger, still as a consumer machine - basically, a bigger version of the current M1 iMac.

I don't think they are going to bring a new 27" iMac or iMac Pro that's more intended for creative professionals or more demanding workloads - I think they've decided the Mac Studio + displays are the right product for that. When Ternus said we've only got one product left to transition to Apple silicon, the Mac Pro, suggests that they are not currently planning to "transition the Intel 27" iMac" to Apple silicon, at least in this phase. It's therefore possible that the 27" iMac is done, for now - and the EOL-ing of it closes that book for the time being...

I hope the new fan design eliminates CPU thermal throttling. The first mac-minis had no fan, and then Apple updated the design to finally have a fan, but even those can throttle like laptops. This vertically fat mac-mini'ish design looks like it should perform better thermally, but I would like to see tests, e.g., running compressor to render some lengthy hi-res video. Apple is designing on chip systems for tasks like video encode/decode which can be far more compute intensive than audio processing. That can help the M1 chip run cooler, but apart from the increase in general purpose cores and shared memory, the more expensive configurations with the M1 Ultra chip with extra video encode/decode engines looks like it's geared towards FCP users.

I've been listening to some discussion on this. That they've EOL-ed the 27" iMac for now is interesting.

Given that the display panels used for the 27" iMac are exactly the same as the ones in the new displays, I'm wondering if they've partly killed the 27" iMac to make sure they can service the demand for the new displays in these times of supply constraints. Then they can possibly bring the 27" iMac back at some point in the future when supply fulfillment is stronger, still as a consumer machine - basically, a bigger version of the current M1 iMac.

I don't think they are going to bring a new 27" iMac or iMac Pro that's more intended for creative professionals or more demanding workloads - I think they've decided the Mac Studio + displays are the right product for that. When Ternus said we've only got one product left to transition to Apple silicon, the Mac Pro, suggests that they are not currently planning to "transition the Intel 27" iMac" to Apple silicon, at least in this phase. It's therefore possible that the 27" iMac is done, for now - and the EOL-ing of it closes that book for the time being...

who knows? personally, i still expect a more-pro imac coming; after all, this isn't the end of the line. yes, they're talking about a silicon mac pro; that does not mean there won't be new imacs, macbooks coming.

anyway, it's apple, so they'll do what they want, not what we think they should (or might) do.

for me, it's either the mac studio and a samsung (or lg, etc) monitor... or i stay with my current imac, and see what summer brings (am not in urgent need).