MainStage 3.6 released

mmm42

New in MainStage 3.6 Release Notes

New features and enhancements

- Refined new design.

- Expands the Sound Library with 120 Patches, 50 kits and 2800 loops from today's biggest hitmakers including Boys Noize, Mark Lettieri, Mark Ronson, Oak Felder, Soulection, Take A Daytrip, Tom Misch, and TRAKGIRL.

- Adds Korean language support.

- Optimized performance for M1 Max and M1 Ultra on the new Mac Studio.

- A confirmation dialog now appears when deleting patches.

- Screen control buttons mapped to the Tempo/Tap Tempo action can now increase/decrease current tempo in 1 BPM increments.

- Patch Number and Patch Icon can now be hidden in the Patch List.

- The current concert can now be renamed directly in the Patch List.

Stability and reliability

MainStage no longer quits unexpectedly in these circumstances:

- After the audio buffer size has been changed twice without closing the preferences window.

- When loading a concert that includes the IK Multimedia Hammond B3X plug-in.

- When editing the Transpose setting of a multitimbral channel strip.

- When receiving Pitch Wheel or MIDI CC messages via the IAC bus.

- When adding a plug-in to a multitimbral channel strip after an existing plug-in window has been opened and closed.

- When pasting a screen control from a patch over a screen control in another patch.

- When the Edit>Cut command is performed on the Metronome channel strip.

- When the audio device is disconnected or reconnected while MainStage is running.

Mixer

- Dragging a stereo audio file to the mixer now creates a stereo Playback channel strip.

- It is now possible to drag in the Layer tab to set note ranges on multitimbral channel strips.

- Channel strip busses added to a multi-output channel at the set or concert level are now displayed when changing patches.

- Converting an alias of an audio channel to an independent channel now preserves the original input setting.

Patches

- When dragging multiple patch files to the Patch List, the patches are now placed where they were dropped rather than the end of the list.

- The Tempo Slider in the Patch Inspector now reliably updates when adjusted when more than one patch is selected.

Undo

- Adding a marker in Playback now creates an Undo step.

- After pasting over a selected screen control and then performing Undo, the original screen control can now be selected.

- Performing Undo after stamping a screen control now restores the control to its original size.

- Patches are no longer unexpectedly set to "Skip" after performing Undo after "New Set from Selection" is performed.

- Performing Undo after changing the icon the Patch Settings "Attributes" tab now resets the original icon.

- Undo now works properly after renaming a Keyboard in the Workspace.

Layout

- In Layout mode it is now easier to manage overlapping background objects in the Workspace.

Loopback

- Undo in Loopback now only affects the most recent recording.

Playback

- The Play/Stop button in Playback now works consistently in cases where an empty playback channel strip has the "Start with Play" action defined.

- The last marker in an instance of Playback can now be deleted using the Remove Marker command.

Plug-ins

- Mapping screen controls to Scripter plug-in parameters works as expected.

Auto Sampler

- Auto Sampler now names recorded audio files using Mainstage's current setting for Middle C.

Control surfaces and MIDI controllers

- Mackie Control motorized faders now respond as expected.

- Fixes an issue where hardware could receive incorrect values when sending tempo / tap tempo from a screen control.

General

- Layer Bypass now works with multitimbral MIDI input.

- MIDI continuous controller (cc) #12 messages now work with external hardware when using the Vintage Organ.

- The Hide MainStage system keyboard command now works in Performance mode.

- The On/Off state of the metronome is now maintained when quitting and then reopening MainStage.

3.6 is frequently crashing for me and this never happens with 3.5.3.....so 3.6 is unusable.

Disabling patch icons is also extremely inconsistent i.e. disabling patch icons will disable some icons but not others, and this changes each time this feature is toggled.

The memory meter is also completely incorrect.

I've already provided feedback but why the heck are these sorts of bugs getting through to a release????

Good to hear that I’m not the only one experiencing crashing! If you haven’t already done so, are you able to submit feedback to Apple via the menu option in MainStage? I did it this morning and after only a few hours was contacted by a MainStage tech asking for a support profile, a copy of my concert and detailed information about exactly what’s going on with my situation.

Whilst we shouldn’t be beta testers, I’d like to help in getting the issues fixed.

• 3 weeks later...
3.6 is a disaster. Don’t update till there is a fix.
Yup. I’ve been using MS for 15-odd years and haven’t seen a release with more show-stopping bugs than this one. And you’d think that a fix would have been released by now for all those poor users who couldn’t downgrade but also can’t use 3.6 due to crashes. Crazy stuff.

3.6 is a disaster. Don’t update till there is a fix.
Yup. I’ve been using MS for 15-odd years and haven’t seen a release with more show-stopping bugs than this one. And you’d think that a fix would have been released by now for all those poor users who couldn’t downgrade but also can’t use 3.6 due to crashes. Crazy stuff.

Indeed. And all that on top of the patch list is all white with white text so you can't see anything unless you highlight the patch is pretty useless. I heard the only way around it is dark mode (I never got that far as to try to figure that part out).

I'm having serious issues with playback plugin mapping misbehaving. It works for a while, then doesn't. I'm using old concerts that worked before, are iffy now. When this happens, it creates a serious memory leak. The concert file size increases by about 50% each time you save it to disc after this happens. Each time. After 5 or 6 open and close cycles it'll be over 100 meg. Went back to 3.5.3 and am rebuilding my concerts to work around. I'd be more specific, and was in an earlier version of this. But eh, I'm just gonna be brief as a heads up. Might send a report to Apple if I can pin down exactly what triggers this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 11:27 AM, Steano said:

Also I have tons of crashes with version 3.6, excessive memory usage and thick freezes with spinning colored icon.
Hope an update is released.
How can I go back to the previous version if I haven't saved the file?

Restore it from your backup. 

If you don't have a backup, you really need to get into the frame of mind that whatever you don't have at least two copies of really just wasn't important. (past tense)

9 hours ago, analogika said:

Restore it from your backup. 

If you don't have a backup, you really need to get into the frame of mind that whatever you don't have at least two copies of really just wasn't important. (past tense)

Fortunately I restored version 3.5.3 from TimeMachine backup but now even with this version I have problems, it often happens that playing the pitch increases by itself by about half a tone and from this moment the sound remains out of tune, sometimes it goes right by changing patches to times I have to restart MainStage.
I think updating macOS is also a problem!