Logic Pro Main Window and Mixer Transparent

domm2k

Currently when I open my latest project, the main screen appears but it is transparent. I can click on things and even play the audio but can't see the arrange window at all.

This currently doesn't happen to other projects but has happened before and resolved itself.

Command + 1 doesn't work but I can open everything from the window menu except main window and mixer.

I think it might have something to do with my external monitor / usb hub and saving / not closing projects.

I have seen this same question on multiple other threads but it doesn't seem to get resolved or the thread goes quiet.

MacBook 13 inch 2020, M1 processor, Big Sur, Logic 10.7.2, caldigit TS3 Plus (USB Dock)

Hi David, It's a brand new MacBook 13 inch from 2020 (got it in November) so I'd be surprised if it's that but you never know. I've seen people having similar problems online but no one has seemed to solve it. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the M1 chip and using logic in rosetta or something to do with having used a USB dock with an external monitor.

des99 I didn't know you could get different logic user accounts, I'll look into that

Hi David, It's a brand new MacBook 13 inch from 2020 (got it in November) so I'd be surprised if it's that but you never know. I've seen people having similar problems online but no one has seemed to solve it. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the M1 chip and using logic in rosetta or something to do with having used a USB dock with an external monitor.

des99 I didn't know you could get different logic user accounts, I'll look into that

Note that it's not a Logic user account. It's a new macOS user account and then opening Logic to figure out if the issue is with your current user account or global.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I tried opening from another user account and same problem exists.

Any other ideas?

I literally can't use some projects or the one I'm working on becomes transparent.

I feel like it must be something to do with M1 and rosetta compatability?

Hi guys,

I tried opening from another user account and same problem exists.

Any other ideas?

I literally can't use some projects or the one I'm working on becomes transparent.

I feel like it must be something to do with M1 and rosetta compatability?

So you're saying "some projects" behave like that and some don't?

To be honest, I'm not familiar with M1 or Rosetta, so I can't comment on that, but if only some projects get affected, maybe that's an issue with some plugin(s) you have on those projects... but it's hard to know which, if everything is transparent...

What you can do is try to import one of those projects into a new project and start by only importing some channel strips until you see the channel strip with the issue (if indeed the issue is with one or more plugins). Does it make sense?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yo to back up Tens reply, I've been having this problem for months now, especially when I upload sessions from other computers that were created on old versions of logic etc, but just started having it happen with sessions I created on this computer, and then the rosetta comment made a lightbulb go off and before I even saw Tens reply I went and tried opening logic regular style (as in not in rosetta) and it worked immediately. I then went back and tried opening the same file but after I did the finder>applications>right click logic>get into>open in rosetta, and the project loaded blank again. Which is weird because I know I was working in rosetta when I created this project, and now all of a sudden its doing that "everything is transparent" thing. 

But yeah, it appears that opening it in regular mode and not rosetta has solved the issue but also raised more questions I guess.

At least I can get back to these freakin sessions now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Hi bjp1989,

so having gone back and forth with the Apple support team and still not getting to the bottom of it (my case is with the "high engineers"), I realised that it must be something to do with Rosetta mode as I never got the transparent window when NOT in Rosetta mode. What I would get however was logic would crash instead.

I then realised the whole point of using Rosetta mode was because certain plug ins were not yet compatible with my M1 chip and Big Sur. Turns out there was one plug in that was making my logic crash in normal mode and that was Inf EQ from Slate digital. I deleted it, upgraded it along with all of my other plug ins so they were all at their most recent versions (some had recently become M1 compatible) and logic never crashed or brought up transparent windows after that. 

So if you are getting this problem, try opening it in normal mode and figure out which plug in is causing it to crash. You can do this by copying all third party plug ins and removing then from your AU folder and pasting them into another folder on your desktop. Then try adding each plug in one at a time and see which  one causes logic to crash.

So some of your old sessions might use plug ins that are not M1 compatible or haven't been updated to their latest versions therefore cause the problem. And your recent projects might also use these dodgy plug ins.

• 8 months later...