New to Mainstage - update query

saltystobart1

I have never used Mainstage because I haven’t been involved in many live performances, but the time has come and I would like to use Mainstage so I can use Logic’s sounds which are better than those in my portable keyboard. My old and almost defunct imac has a copy of mainstage which I think was there when I started out in 2009, but that version is too old for my shiny newish (August 2020) Mac mini. So I went to the App Store where they want £25.99 (ok we can live with that) for a version of Mainstage which is incompatible with my Mac Mini. It needs macOS 11.5 and I’m on 10.15.7. (I noticed the reviews aren’t too favourable while I was there).

Also I see from this forum that Mainstage 3.6 is susceptible to crashing so 3.5 might be a better option.

What is my best upgrade for both OSX and Mainstage or am I better off forgetting it?

Personally, I’d recommend Big Sur (11.x) over Catalina….I had so many issues with Catalina whereas macOS 11 has been solid. I haven’t yet ventured into Monterey.

As for MainStage, 3.5.3 would be the best version to use but you’ll need to obtain it from a non-Apple source. Google is your friend, at least until 3.6 is fixed…and then, it could still be a maybe. Unfortunately, MainStage releases have tended to be extremely hit-and-miss in terms of reliability and 3.6 is proving this big-time.