music theory question

be a better producer, tell me the theory that would be helpful to produce music such as digital signal. i want to know more about distortion or like technique changing audio and frequency. tell me helpful theory. specific name please. help! i want to know about how plug-in works in detail

5 hours ago, josep skitto said:

be a better producer, tell me the theory that would be helpful to produce music such as digital signal. i want to know more about distortion or like technique changing audio and frequency. tell me helpful theory. specific name please. help! i want to know about how plug-in works in detail

Hmmm maybe you could start by learning the basics such as aliasing, oversampling, phase, dynamics, different kinds of distortion (tape, tube, transistors…) I mean the list goes on and on. Maybe my best advice: explore your plugins and the parameters you dont recognise, search them on youtube. Nowadays everything is online, that way you will learn from your tools and will bring you more knowledge when making decisions on your music. Hope it hepls!

13 hours ago, David Robisco said:

Hmmm maybe you could start by learning the basics such as aliasing, oversampling, phase, dynamics, different kinds of distortion (tape, tube, transistors…) I mean the list goes on and on. Maybe my best advice: explore your plugins and the parameters you dont recognise, search them on youtube. Nowadays everything is online, that way you will learn from your tools and will bring you more knowledge when making decisions on your music. Hope it hepls!

okay! i will try that. thanks

• Like 1

And by saying this, "David is not engaging in self-promotion!"

Decades ago, an author in a computer-rag that I faithfully subscribed to published a column called, "taking a sip from the fire-hose."  And, it's true.  When you first encounter a technical topic, you feel like you're being hit in the face by a cast-iron skillet because you do  not [yet ...] know how to sort it all out.  But maybe the key realization is simply this:  "expect it." 😀

Then, "plan accordingly."  Everyone else, at some time or another, was hit in the face with the very same iron skillet.  Fortunately today you are presented with a truly vast number of on-line resources ... and a very excellent book.

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Love 1

Hi Josep

I feel your question is extremely wide and you need to state your needs a bit more clearly.  Music production can mean many things.  Do you want to understand basic music theory, such as harmony, composition and musical ideas?  Are you trying learn how to drive your DAW, plugins, tracking, mixing etc?  Or are you trying to learn about studio acoustics and recording, things like mic technique, arrangement of your studio etc?  All of these things are important but you can't focus on them all at once either.  

As suggested above, it is indeed like "sipping from a fire hose", and its hard to know where to start.  David's suggestion to use the manual is a great one....I have downloaded the complete manual and  it is one of the best computer manuals I have come across.  Atlas077 made a good suggestion about the online courses.  

However, I might help others to answer your question if you say a little more about yourself and what you are trying to achieve.  I don't get a sense of what you really want from your initial post, or what your greatest need right now is.  Your question sounds like "tell me everything all at once" so I think you need to break it down a little bit.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:01 AM, David Nahmani said:

Huh! That was an honest mistake. I meant to link to the top of the thread, not the last post. I've fixed it now. 🤣

You made no "mistake," nor did I ever intend to even imply that you did!  I simply meant this as an intro to ... the remainder of my comment.

Like so many other things in this technological world, this stuff will cause you to "take a sip from the fire-hose," and to maybe take a cast-iron skillet to your face, "again and again and again."

Your technical resource is excellent, and you are honest in referencing it.

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1