SMPTE lock doesn't work correct (or not?)

Lev
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

hi

I have two guitar takes of one part. When I successfully put them next to each other (so that no space can be heard), I press Lock SMPTE Position, but immediately after that, the take on the right is cut off by a piece to the right or left.

purpose of using this button: fix two takes in time
result: it only makes things worse

Indeed, the SMPTE resolution is not fine enough to provide a sample-accurate positioning, so what happens is actually that the region you lock is moved to a position in the SMPTE frame grid. Unfortunately, SMPTE locking is not suitable for locking a region *exactly* in time.

Can you explain what exactly your goal is? Maybe there's a workaround.

Edited by polanoid

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this out. I thought SMPTE lock was a way to lock files down accurately after editing. Seems I was wrong. My carefully placed phase corrections go slightly out of whack when applying SMPTE lock. 

Is there another way to sample accurately lock down regions?

Thanks

• Solution

Yes, SMPTE Lock is not the right tool for this.

There is a Track Protect button which you can put in the Track Header. If that's too heavy, you could also BIP a Track Alternative so all there is is one long Region.

Everyone's workflow is different, but I haven't had the need to lock stuff in 40+ years in the studio, often working blazingly fast, how does it happen that you move stuff without meaning to and without you noticing until later ?

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

There is a Track Protect button which you can put in the Track Header. If that's too heavy, you could also BIP a Track Alternative so all there is is one long Region.

Everyone's workflow is different, but I haven't had the need to lock stuff in 40+ years in the studio, often working blazingly fast, how does it happen that you move stuff without meaning to and without you noticing until later ?

Thanks fuzzfilth, Track protect is perfect. Don't know why I didn't notice the lock before. Maybe I did but forgot. You see, I'm both clumsy and forgetful (ADD) so I need all the security I can get. 

• 7 months later...