Nucleus 2 Resources

I recently bought a used Nucleus 2 knowing it was discontinued last summer, but it still seems like the best choice for the way I'll be working - live acoustic guitar and vocal basics, additional instruments in ones and twos, and drum machine tracks in most cases - primarily building arrangements and likely finished recordings.

I'm looking for resources to help me get on top of that. I've searched here but most (or all) of those posts are, understandably several years old and about specific issues. It took 3 weeks to get SSL to clear a Support login problem I had, which just happened yesterday, so I have not been into their stuff, but I will certainly look.

Any other help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance for your time.

Thanks David, but I have a newer version of that. I used it and SSL support to configure Nucleus 2 and Dante routing to the extent it is now, which is fine for the multi-track mix. But I found even that much of the Users Guide to be vague and confusing, and I'm perfectly willing to admit that getting farther into it without clarity is intimidating, since guessing my way thru that process can result in a mistake that takes days to recover from, which has already once.

By experience, when dealing with MIDI controller setup problem or controller assignments, the easiest approach when hitting a quandary wall, is to simply clear the installation and start from scratch. That is way quicker than troubleshooting, considering that so many unknown (ifnot unaccessible) factors (from either the controller device, Logic, or something else) could be involved in the issue…

It took a while cause I'm still so ignorant of Mac world, but I deleted the file and reinstalled Nucleus 2, which is now configured horizontally, but is not yet loading to the controller. That is not entirely surprising, I've been dealing with a number of issues recently, and did it load a mix sometime overnight after I'd given up on it for the evening. That is not typical, it's usually instantaneous, but nothing appears to be wrong in its configuration so I suspect it will appear when it's ready.

One thing to know is that - again - Logic Pro placed the 2 halves of the controller vertically, even after I'd enlarged the window so it would not be forced to do that.

A further update... The controller is still not loading, and there is now a Mackie listed along with the Nucleus 2 in Preferences -> Control Surfaces -> MIDI Controllers. That may be correct but was not there before when it was working.

I've also been curious about the Controller assignment windows, which have never been configured, but appear in connection with the Control Surfaces -> list.

6 hours ago, Chipp Tate said:

It took a while cause I'm still so ignorant of Mac world, but I deleted the file and reinstalled Nucleus 2, which is now configured horizontally, but is not yet loading to the controller.

Which file did you delete?

Upon reinstalling Nucleus2, did you first uninstall everything (its drivers, software, etc) from its  original installation? That is often recommendable...

After uninstalling the Nucleus form Logic and your Mac, did you clear all its mapping entries in the Controller Assignment window? That is highly recommended to avoid double conflicting entries upon re-installation. There is a specific procedure to do so correctly.

6 hours ago, Chipp Tate said:

One thing to know is that - again - Logic Pro placed the 2 halves of the controller vertically, even after I'd enlarged the window so it would not be forced to do that.

One could move the position by simply mouse-dragging the icon to place it horizontally next to the other controller icon.

5 hours ago, Chipp Tate said:

The controller is still not loading, and there is now a Mackie listed along with the Nucleus 2 in Preferences -> Control Surfaces -> MIDI Controllers. That may be correct but was not there before when it was working.

What do you  mean exactly by "The controller is still not loading"?

Have you tried disabling them in Preferences -> Control Surfaces -> MIDI Controllers (by removing the checkmark in the Auto box next to them?

5 hours ago, Chipp Tate said:

I've also been curious about the Controller assignment windows, which have never been configured, but appear in connection with the Control Surfaces -> list

The Controller assignment windows is where the controllers' mappings are stored. It gets automatically populated when installing a supported controller. The Mackie's (aka MCU, C4) and those using the same protocol are supported MIDI controllers which provide such mapping presets.

One thing to verify when you get unexpected behaviour:

ensure that there isn't undue controller installation that had occurred in the Controller Setup window.

Atlas 007 -

I'd intended to quote the file name I'd deleted (com.apple.logic.pro.cs) but between that message and the one I was replying to from des99, almost all of our previous messages were moved to another forum and I was running out of time then and could not remember. Now you have that.

I did not re-install Nucleus 2 Remote (its software) since I didn't know I should. After deleting the file above, I re-entered the Nucleus L/R devices and their ipMIDI I/O ports. And yes, BEFORE that I had learned that the R/2 device could be moved, but that did not cause it to start working, so I proceeded to delete that file.

After re-loading the devices and re-entering their ipMIDI ports I took everything down, rebooted the Mac, and brought it back up to find the Control Surface devices and configuration appeared as expected now.

Another reason why I did not reload Nucleus 2 Remote is because it establishes the fixed Dante IP for the software and the DHCP IP for the controller. But as far as I've seen and been told, that does not affect Logic Pro as long as it knows the correct devices, with the correct ipMIDI ports, in the correct horizontal L/R positions. And it has been connecting to the Nucleus controller and appearing correctly and instantaneously in Dante controller the last couple of days, which it had not been doing for the last week or so.

I appreciate your help and look forward to more tomorrow.

48 minutes ago, Chipp Tate said:

I'm able to find both of those, and since des99 and Atlas007 are in both I'm guessing we'll be good.

I'm sure there's a reason why that was done. Is there something I should know/do about that in the future?

Yes, we definitely need to have all the discussion on a subject to stay within one single thread. We're here to help you first, and that's great if you can keep track of two different threads. However it's not necessarily easy for us to keep track of two threads for a subject. For example in one thread you may have tested something and reported the resulted, but if we're reading the other, we don't know that. So that's inefficient. 

But really where it's most important to me, is that after we've helped you, the thread stays forever in this huge database of Q&A that Logic Pro Help really is, that people will search when they come to this site, or get a link as a result when they search Google. And if they get only half the information we've shared, then they're missing out. So we're here also to help everybody else with the same problem that is reading this now or that will stumble upon this in the future. I'm always mindful of that. 

So really, no big deal, don't worry about it for this thread, just from now on in the future, best to keep everything related to the same topic neatly packed into a single topic. 😃

Just now, Chipp Tate said:

And if I split the original thread I could not tell you how. But that's been happening a lot lately.

What happened is that you've created new topics for the same topic in two different places. 

What you need to do is create one topic and then maybe bookmark it if that's easier, and then keep all discussions about that topic as replies to that topic. 

I suppose the big green buttons look similar but one says "Start New Topic" and the other says "Submit Reply". 

Hope that helps. 

To be perfectly clear -

The new thread was a mistake. Making this any more difficult than necessary is the last thing I need, and I'm sure that wasting your time des99, or yours Atlas007, is not going to help.

In any case, I still need to figure out what's wrong, and I'd be glad to move everything from the other thread back here, or explain where I'm at here again.

Please let me know.

Thanks for asking Atlas007. And no, it is not.

Since my last message I deleted and reinstalled Nucleus 2 Remote, and along with that, Control Surfaces -> Setup is coming up configured correctly, and the file I deleted com.apple.logic.pro.cs is back again, I assume because the Setup was done again.

But nothing is getting from Logic Pro to the Controller itself.

Understanding that the Nucleus communicates with your Mac via ip, I suspect there might be a problem with the ip setting/attribution. Sometimes the powering-up (turning On) order of the connected devices could affect such ip configuration.

Normally one would proceed downward: the host (your Mac), then the switch/router (if applicable), then the appended items (Nucleus)… Perhaps concurrently using an internet connection could make things more complicated also…

Perhaps providing your (complete) system specs might be useful?

Edited by Atlas007

That's a legitimate question. I went thru that with SSL support last week to get it right, but I think the quickest way to answer your question would be with a few screen shots, and then you can ask about anything that hasn't covered.

I'll get back in a few minutes.

The address in the Nucleus 2 Remote must be a fixed address, but the Mac and the sound card in the Controller are DHCP. But I will turn off WiFi after I send this message, which is recommended, to see if that helps. I'm sure I've had it running with that on before, but stand by...

I'm in touch now on my PC next to the Mac so I'll be able to keep both running.

To address the start-up issue, what seems to work best is to bring the controller up first, and then the Remote software. Sometimes I have to "Find" the controller, which means selecting the correct 1 of 2 addresses that are offered, but this time they connected immediately, all by themselves.

After that I can check Dante controller, because (almost) everything else is dependent on that, and again this time, that locked in immediately, including the errant latency lights shown in the previous screen capture.

One thing that's left is the SD card in the controller that saves its configuration, and the controller communicates (as a keyboard) with Logic Pro via USB.

If you don't have any other questions or thoughts, I'll try that next. Please let me know. It may take a while.

8 hours ago, Chipp Tate said:

To address the start-up issue, what seems to work best is to bring the controller up first, and then the Remote software.

With a static ip address on the device, indeed. The Remote software has to "see" the Nucleus. I had similar issue when I was using the Euphonix Artist Control MIDI controller.

8 hours ago, Chipp Tate said:

One thing that's left is the SD card in the controller that saves its configuration

That is something I don't know about...

Finally got it! The last piece was the need to turn WiFi OFF, which I'd certainly seen before, but tended to dismiss, MAYBE because it's worked with WiFi turned on - AFTER - it was configured.

But that appears to have been creating an IP conflict with it and Dante Virtual Soundcard set for DHCP, which was keeping the Logic Pro Track List, etc., from getting to the Controller.

One other thing to mention - again - is that the L/R halves of the Controller selected at Control Surfaces -> Setup must be placed next to each other horizontally - NOT vertically - even if they land there to start off with as they did in my case.

19 minutes ago, Chipp Tate said:

Finally got it! The last piece was the need to turn WiFi OFF, which I'd certainly seen before, but tended to dismiss, MAYBE because it's worked with WiFi turned on - AFTER - it was configured.

But that appears to have been creating an IP conflict with it and Dante Virtual Soundcard set for DHCP, which was keeping the Logic Pro Track List, etc., from getting to the Controller.

One other thing to mention - again - is that the L/R halves of the Controller selected at Control Surfaces -> Setup must be placed next to each other horizontally - NOT vertically - even if they land there to start off with as they did in my case.

Great! 

Thanx for sharing your experience!

Keep notes of the steps you went through to solve your issue, as you will most likely have to go through same again. Not intending to be pessimistic here, but ip configuration could change for different reasons…

Please mark this topic as resolved, if you see fit for eventual other users seeking for a solution to a related issue.

Have a noce day!