Written automation is NOT being affected

frostym8
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I've stumbled upon a problem in my mixing session where only one track is not being affected by any automation at all. I have short violin track where it needs to come out a bit more - I used gain automation in case I'd need to adjust the balance again with volume fader.

Automation is in read mode, but the gain amount does not move when I go over selected section. I tried deleting all automation from the track but it doesn't work. I also tried using other kinds of plugins but nothing seems to working either - any plugin that I use, Logic completely ignores any automation lane for selected track.

There are no more automation lanes in selected track, only the one in the picture.

This is not the first time I endure with this problem since I'm using empty ready to go templates with quite complex routings for smooth workflow.

Any help with this is appreciated.

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 20.21.51.png

Edited by frostym8

• frostym8 changed the title to Written automation is NOT being affected

One thing that comes to mind: Does the underlying audio region contain region automation and is the "Region automation takes priority over Track automation" project setting on?

EDIT: I just downloaded your project and observe the same thing, only on track 005 Violins short. Interesting... 

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, frostym8 said:

Sure, I've attached empty project to this message.

Ok let's first see if @polanoid's answer resolves your issue. 

If not, I'll need you to create a copy of your project, delete all tracks but one that is showing the issue, and attach that here, with the automation displayed and the corresponding plug-in open so that I can experiment with it right away. 

Just now, frostym8 said:

Thank you, David! It works! How did you fix it? I'd like to know in case this happens in the future

Here's what I did:

1. Press Control-Command-E to open the Automation Event List.
  2. Press Command-1 to open the automation main window. Notice that some of the automation tracks are off.
  3. Press Option-T to configure the track headers and add the On/Off buttons.
  4. Turn all tracks back on. 
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Here's what I did:

1. Press Control-Command-E to open the Automation Event List.
  2. Press Command-1 to open the automation main window. Notice that some of the automation tracks are off.
  3. Press Option-T to configure the track headers and add the On/Off buttons.
  4. Turn all tracks back on. 

Lifesaver! Just tried it out and it works, thanks a lot for your help!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, polanoid said:

@frostym8, did you ever open the automation folder (like David described) for that project before? Just to rule out the possibility that you accidentally switched off those tracks using the associated key command.

I never knew that window of automation existed so it's unlikely that I've messed with it deliberately.

1 minute ago, polanoid said:

Also, how old are the origins of this project? Maybe this was caused by a bug in an earlier version of Logic.

I created this template at March 2022 but I was keep updating it after every single project that I worked on. Since my template is quite expanded, I had to separate my composing and mixing templates into 2 separate sessions. Maybe importing tracks and their routing from one project to another could've caused this issue.

15 minutes ago, frostym8 said:

I created this template at March 2022 but I was keep updating it after every single project that I worked on. Since my template is quite expanded, I had to separate my composing and mixing templates into 2 separate sessions. Maybe importing tracks and their routing from one project to another could've caused this issue.

So it's quite new. OK. But yes, from my experience Track Import has some issues, so that could be the culprit. Maybe you can find out how to recreate this issue using track import (I'll check as well)

You will notice that the name that is displayed in the Track inspector does not refer to the Folder containing all the Track Automation regions (i.e. the one you opened with Ctrl-Cmd-E and Cmd-1), but the folder currently displayed in the Tracks Area window. Change the focused track in the Tracks Area and the displayed name will change - change the selected track in the automation folder and it will *not* change. So I stand by what I wrote - you can safely delete those tracks (make a backup of the project before you do, in case you don't trust me ;) )

Edited by polanoid