How to record 2 midi devices simultaneously

Logicman2

24 minutes ago, polanoid said:

The UR44 only has one MIDI port, see above. If you want to simultaneously record two devices over one port, you need to use the MIDI In CHANNEL, not the port

I updated my MacBook to Monterey, Logic to 10.7.4 and the Steinberg UR44 to the latest driver.  Which gave another port. In the Audio Midi setup window it now has a 2nd port. Before update it only showed 1 port. 

The Roland FP-3 plays great midi in to Logic. The mystery has been trying to record The Keys and the Drums at the same time. I have tried every scenario in track inspector. The keys  trigger the drums and piano sounds together. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 8.15.44 AM.png

13 minutes ago, Logicman2 said:

In the Audio Midi setup window it now has a 2nd port.

We're talking about physical ports here. No software can change that number ;) You only have one port. Use the MIDI In Channel to separate the input coming from the two physical devices (which means of course that you need to change the channel the device sends on for at least one of your two devices, in addition to choosing the MIDI In channel for the corresponding track in the Logic project).

Edited by polanoid

1 minute ago, polanoid said:

We're talking about physical ports here. No software can change that number ;) You only have one port. Use the MIDI In Channel to separate the input from the two physical devices.

Which port in should I select in each track? All, Port 1 or Port 2? 

I have set the midi in to 2 for keys and 1 for drums. The keyboard itself is set to channel 2 and the drum module is set to channel 1. The keys still play both. 

14 minutes ago, Logicman2 said:

Which port in should I select in each track? All, Port 1 or Port 2? 

I have set the midi in to 2 for keys and 1 for drums. The keyboard itself is set to channel 2 and the drum module is set to channel 1. The keys still play both. 

So now you suddenly have two ports? You wrote before that the menu only offers one port called "Steinberg Port"!?

But anyway, you can safely set the MIDI In Port to All as long as you set the MIDI In Channel correctly

Edited by polanoid

42 minutes ago, polanoid said:

So now you suddenly have two ports? You wrote before that the menu only offers one port called "Steinberg Port"!?

But anyway, you can safely set the MIDI In Port to All as long as you set the MIDI In Channel correctly

In the OP I mentioned the Steinberg has 2 ports. The one comment I mentioned the Midi In port drop down window as Steinberg Port and all.  It should have said Port 1 and port 2, Sorry about that. 

I'll try the midi in again. I'm sure this post is getting old. I do appreciate all you are trying to do to resolve this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Logicman2 said:

I'm sure this post is getting old.

Don't worry about it. To me the most important is that we end up finding the solution to your issue. Nothing beats the satisfaction from clicking the "Mark as solution" link and seeing the green checkmark on a topic. 😁  So go ahead, test the MIDI channels again and let us know, and if that doesn't work we'll continue troubleshooting it. 

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Don't worry about it. To me the most important is that we end up finding the solution to your issue. Nothing beats the satisfaction from clicking the "Mark as solution" link and seeing the green checkmark on a topic. 😁  So go ahead, test the MIDI channels again and let us know, and if that doesn't work we'll continue troubleshooting it. 

I think I found the reason it don't work.The Drum Track is a reassign to SoCal+, China, Splash and both overheads. I have a big kit. This was the only way to midi it all. I wish the Drum track had a midi in. If I click record on the SoCal track and set midi in to 1 and keys to 2 it works.  Unfortunately I need the drum track. It's part of a remap. Unless there is another way around it with the reassign track (Drum Track)

I also added an image of the midi environment.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 12.11.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 12.28.11 PM.png

Edited by Logicman2

Put all of those tracks inside a summing track stack and record on the stack‘s main track. The main track of a summing stack distributes incoming MIDI data to all of its MIDI sub tracks. No Environment modifications necessary.

Edited by polanoid

27 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Put all of those tracks inside a summing track stack and record on the stack‘s main track. The main track of a summing stack distributes incoming MIDI data to all of its MIDI sub tracks. No Environment modifications necessary.

I tried that, The problem is I had to remap, cause I am using a 2box module and feeding 2 producer kits and a china, splash track. But I did figure out how to use an instrument track to feed everything and set to where I can record drums and keys at the same Time. Instead of trying to explaining it, I'll post the video below. Thank you all for your time. I really appreciate it. 

Polanoid I will try again what you suggested, if I can figure out how to align my midi notes without remapping. Thanks again

That video shows a (slightly overcomplicated, IMHO) way to route MIDI data generated by MIDI Insert FX to various channel strips. What does it have to do with your problem? And also, what exactly do you mean by "remapping"? Also, what kind of environment object is this "Drum Track" object that you have wired to Overhead, Splash, China, etc.? Also, what is that "2box module" you're referring to? I understand it's some kind of drum trigger to MIDI interface?

Edited by polanoid

58 minutes ago, polanoid said:

That video shows a (slightly overcomplicated, IMHO) way to route MIDI data generated by MIDI Insert FX to various channel strips. What does it have to do with your problem? And also, what exactly do you mean by "remapping"? Also, what kind of environment object is this "Drum Track" object that you have wired to Overhead, Splash, China, etc.? Also, what is that "2box module" you're referring to? I understand it's some kind of drum trigger to MIDI interface?

I have an electronic drum set. The module is a 2box. I f I had a Roland td module it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Example with Roland a C#2 would trigger a C#2 note in Logic. The 2 box a B would trigger the C#2. It's whole step off, But not with all the notes. Some are 1/2 step and some are a step and a 1/2. So I went into the environment and did a remap so my module would trigger the right notes. The Drum track is there to redirect to multiple tracks because I have to many drums and cymbals, so I put 2 producer kits together along with a Splash and China track so I can accommodate my setup. I could probably use Drum Machine Designer, But I like the ease of editing with Drum Kit Designer.

You are right. I'm sure there is an easier way, but right now I have it where it works good and I can record Keys and drums at the same time. 

• Like 1