saving a synth preset into Logic project's folder

hubavai
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hello friends,  I am trying to save a Serum present INTO the Project's folder I am working on but all the Logic projects are greyed out and I cannot open them in order to save the preset. Any suggestions why is it like that and how to fix? Make them not greyed out so that I can get inside the project folder and put the preset there? Thanks so much! 

Screenshot 2022-05-18 at 14.06.44.jpg

• Solution

Because you have saved those projects as Packages, not Folders.

You can either save the project as a Folder, and thus easily be able to save other files inside them, or save the preset to eg the desktop, and then in the Finder, select the Logicx package, right click on on it and choose "Show Package Contents" to open it up, and place the saved file there directly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hubavai said:

So everytime I start a new project I should create a folder? Is that what you are suggesting?

You don't have to create the folder yourself, what I personally recommend is that when you start a new project, the first thing you do is save it (File > Save) organized as a folder, copying audio files inside the project folder: 

image.png

just another idea: when i create (or modify) a preset in any synth that's specific to a project, i save it in that synths user presets (ie from the synth's GUI itself). easy to find (altho i've never lost my presets within a project), and easy to get to if i wanted to use it elsewhere.

just (to me) seems a lot simpler (but i also prefer package saves to folder saves)...

12 minutes ago, fisherking said:

when i create (or modify) a preset in any synth that's specific to a project, i save it in that synths user presets (ie from the synth's GUI itself). easy to find (altho i've never lost my presets within a project), and easy to get to if i wanted to use it elsewhere.

I tend to save these as Logic/AUpresets, so they are available in Logic's preset menu, and also easily recognised and distinguished as mine from the rest of the factory presets...

22 minutes ago, des99 said:

I tend to save these as Logic/AUpresets, so they are available in Logic's preset menu, and also easily recognised and distinguished as mine from the rest of the factory presets...

guess it depends on which synth (except for an occasional use of alchemy, all mine are 3rd-party). most of them have a 'user presets' folder. plus, i name a file after the project name; if my project's name is 'dog', i save the preset as 'dog' (or 'dog1, dog2' etc), and easy to find if ever needed.

also, if it is all in one presets folder, you can add a space in front of the name you save; that should put it at the top.

Yep, but as a few mammoth threads in the Presets forum show, I generally like to have all my synth patches consistently available in one place, with one mechanic, that I can assign MIDI buttons to move through patches, search and organise them and so on, without having to even have the plugin open.

So I prefer to use Logic's preset system for everything where I can (I wish it had some kind of "Favourites" function though), with a few exceptions (usually, for plugins that already have a huge amount of content and good preset browsers, where the effort of saving out the patches doesn't make much sense.)