How to record up to 16 unique MIDI software instrument patches to 16 separate Logic tracks using KORG Triton Extreme plug-in?

Integrator

• Logic Pro 10.5.1

• Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (3rd generation)

• KORG Triton Extreme

• Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010

• OS X 10.14.6 (latest OS my Mac can run)

Greetings! I’m inching my way toward understanding how to work with MIDI in Logic.

Please note: this is not an External MIDI Instrument setup, rather, I’m running the KORG Triton Extreme "plug-in" inside Logic, which can be purchased separately from the keyboard.

QUESTION

Please help me understand how to record up to 16 separate/unique MIDI software instrument patches to 16 separate tracks and have them all play back simultaneously as MIDI?

I’m familiar with how to change the MIDI Channel in Logic’s MIDI Inspector, and on the KORG, too.

I have enabled “Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording” in Logic’s Recording Project Settings.

I have MIDI cables correctly connecting the audio interface to the KORG, and the audio interface is correctly connected to the Mac via USB.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the MIDI Setup window of the KORG…  hoping someone might know which selections I should make there: 

I’d be grateful for any coaching on this. Thanks much!

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 5.30.11 PM.jpg

12 minutes ago, Integrator said:

Please help me understand how to record up to 16 separate/unique MIDI software instrument patches to 16 separate tracks and have them all play back simultaneously as MIDI?

Hit the New track button, tick "Multitimbral" and choose 16-parts, and select the Triton plugin. Now you'll get 16 MIDI tracks, one for each MIDI channel, to record to.

12 minutes ago, Integrator said:

I have MIDI cables correctly connecting the audio interface to the KORG

Hmm I thought you said you were using the plugin? Are you trying to record songs on the Triton hardware, into Logic, so you can play them with the plugin?

If so, you'll need to make sure the internal sequencer can transmit those internal parts via MIDI...

Edited by des99

But yeah, 

4 hours ago, des99 said:

Hit the New track button, tick "Multitimbral" and choose 16-parts, and select the Triton plugin. Now you'll get 16 MIDI tracks, one for each MIDI channel, to record to.

This will work fine, if the goal is to play and record each part separately, and one after the other, from the same keyboard.

Thanks for each of your replies and suggestions, des99!, polanoid, and fuzzfilth!

I created a Multitimbral project but I'm still only getting one MIDI patch to play across all 16 tracks.

To your second reply...  des99!, you're correct...  I'm using the KORG Triton Extreme plug-in inside Logic... but I'm using the actual physical KORG Triton Extreme keyboard to strike the ivories.

If anyone has a chance...  please see the attached screenshots outlining my approach thus far—  I'm hoping they'll provide you with some clues as to what I'm missing.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Integrator
  • Like 1

You have the Triton plugin in Program ("Prog") mode, which is a mono-timbral mode, one sound on one MIDI channel only - which is why you are getting the behaviour you see.

(In your screenshot, you can see the PROG button is lit.)

To use it multitimbrally, you need to be in Combi mode, with 16 parts setup, one for each MIDI channel, and you can load a different Program on each part.

Press the COMBI button next to the PROG button to switch the Triton into multitimbral mode.

Edited by des99

As des99 wrote, you need to use Combis, just like on the hardware Triton. The alternative of course, is to simply instantiate 16 instances of the plugin each on it's own track. I have no idea how much CPU is saved (if any) by using a single instance with a 16 part Combi vs. 16 instances.

des99: I switched to COMBI mode on both the physical KORG and the plug-in, and it's still sending the same patch to all the tracks.

enossified: Thanks for jumping-in.  I created the Multitimbral test project in such a way that each track already has an instance of the KORG Triton Extreme plug-in.

I did spot a clue just now, though—  whenever I go to the plug-in to select a new patch on a different track...  my patch selection for the track isn't retained. In other words, I'm unable to select a patch and have it stick...  as soon as I go to another track and choose a different patch...  all 16 tracks get auto-assigned whatever patch I last clicked on.

Edited by Integrator

15 minutes ago, Integrator said:

des99: I switched to COMBI mode on both the physical KORG and the plug-in, and it's still sending the same patch to all the tracks.

Can you do a screenshot of your combi? It should have up to 8 parts (which is the maximum with one Triton), with each part responding on a unique MIDI channel, and you can choose each Prog for each part.

I just set one up here, for an initialised Combi - you have to set the MIDI channels for each part, otherwise by default they'll just be set to respond to the Global Channel. Don't expect that Part 1 will be set to MIDI channel 1, and so on, because there are many ways of setting combis up to respond to MIDI.

Here's what setting the MIDI channels looks like:

267732468_Screenshot2022-05-19at18_53_22.thumb.png.051e86424c26d77217f13c117b128f9f.png

The first Logic track plays the Piano, the second track plays the organ, the third track plays the bass, all as expected.

I'm sure there are example sequence template Combis in the preset library, but if not, just initialise and build one yourself and save it so you can always call it up by default to work with.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

In the movie below, I:-

• Start in Combi mode
  • Initialise the Combi (from the main Menu, not from where you were trying to Initialise a Part)
  • Change the MIDI channel that each of the 8 parts receives on
  • Select a different Program (sound) for the first few parts

Now, the sound on Part 1 is played when I record/play on the first Logic track.
The sound on Part 2 is played when I record/play on the second Logic track... etc

lpx.thumb.gif.211f80bc56c5b8db52f6aa0523053b24.gif

I can save you out a preset or even a test project with this setup if you're struggling - but it's useful to know how to do it I think...

Here's a combi setup with 8 parts on MIDI channels 1-8:

Init Combi.aupreset.zip

Unzip and copy this to:
/Users/*you*/Library/Audio/Presets/KORG/TRITON Extreme/
(that's the Library folder in your home user account)

...then select it that Init Combi setting from Logic's preset menu to load it.

Here's a Logic project already setup with 8 tracks and that Combi loaded, when each track will play a different part in the Triton:

triton_multi.logicx.zip

This shows it working, where you can see each part responds to MIDI being played on the correct track:-

lpx2.thumb.gif.6d85b9f29635d8702d41c8d7e6424fba.gif

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

Got it that time, des99! I'm doing cartwheels and heel-clickers!

Your .gif's were SUPER helpful, along with your written explanations to support them. Just what I needed!

I've been trying to get this sorted for many moon cycles, first using Logic External MIDI Instruments and the physical KORG Triton—   and more recently using the Triton plug-in. I wasn't sure I'd unlock the mystery in this lifetime, but thanks to you and the other contributors...  we did!

I figured out how to save my preset, too...  using the "WRITE" button. Stoked! Life's simple pleasures, man. Ahhhhhhhh.

How can I get a coffee thank-you to you?

• Love 1