Can I quantise velocity without quantizing timing?

Plastic Meanie
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

Title says it all I think. So I have a midi region I'm happy with timing-wise, but would like to use Velocity Quantise to even out the level of the notes a bit. It seems I can't use this unless I quantize the timing too, as the field is greyed out until you select a timing value? Is this correct? Seems a bit mad if so!🙂

you're talking about reducing dynamics, not quantizing (which is a timing thing). open the region in the piano roll, click on functions (upper left of the piano roll window), explore the options in 'Midi Transform' (ie velocity limiter)

you can also control midi dynamics with the 'Midi Comp' in the midi FX on the channel strip (but that would affect the entire track)

• Like 1

Hi fisherking, thanks for your reply. If you look in the Inspector on a track you'll see the advanced quantise parameters include Q-Velocity. This allows you to adjust the dynamic range up or down. You drag up for plus values to reduce the range (ie for more velocity quantisation), down for negative values to increase the differences between velocity of the selected region notes. Cool huh! But I've only just discovered it myself so I'm not surprised you weren't aware of it either!

However, it seems you need a timing value selected for Q-Velocity to become active, which seems odd. Hence my post. 

i am aware of it. and i gave you 2 paths to doing what you want to do, without having to adjust your notes timing. you can try the "Dynamics" setting in the advanced parameters (where you are now), and reduce the percentage for a less-wide range...

Edited by fisherking
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Plastic Meanie said:

you'll see the advanced quantise parameters include Q-Velocity. This allows you to adjust the dynamic range up or down.

Q-Velocity does not adjust the dynamic range up or down, it brings the velocity of your notes closer or further away to the MIDI template selected in the Quantize setting. For factory templates, the notes that are on the beat have a stronger velocity than the ones that are on the upbeat. So let's say you have a nice crescendo from a very soft to a very loud note, augmenting Q-Velocity will give an accent to the notes that are on the beat, and setting it to 100% will give you the exact velocities of the notes inside the template. You no longer have any crescendo. Lowering Q-Velocity into negative values will tend to make the accents on the upbeats. 

If what you want to do is purely reduce the dynamic without getting closer to the velocity differences that are present in a Quantize template in order to even the velocities a bit then you should be reducing the value of the Dynamics parameter as fisherking suggested. This won't show you the new velocities visually though so if you want to see the result of your work, after you set Dynamics for example to 50%, In the Tracks area's local menu bar, choose Functions > MIDI Region Parameters > Apply All Parameters Permanently. 

• Like 1

Very interesting, David, thanks.  That'll teach me to watch YouTube videos and believe what they say! This chap has got it all wrong re Q Velocity it seems? 

I'm still a bit confused, however. When you say  'setting it to 100% will give you the exact velocities of the notes inside the template' I'm not sure what you mean by 'velocities inside the template'. Are you saying that all the settings eg Swing B have a velocity element built in behind the scenes?

Edited by Plastic Meanie
add link

26 minutes ago, Plastic Meanie said:

I'm still a bit confused, however. When you say  'setting it to 100% will give you the exact velocities of the notes inside the template' I'm not sure what you mean by 'velocities inside the template'. Are you saying that all the settings eg Swing B have a velocity element built in behind the scenes?

Yes exactly. And same for Q-Length. To see what they are, place notes of equal length and velocities on every 1/16 or 1/8 note depending on the Quantize template you've selected, and raise the parameters:

image.gif