Re-apply quantization to MIDI region

dmitch57
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

1. Write or record a MIDI region.
  2. Apply SmartQuantize to that region, using some appropriate quantize parameters in the region inspector.
  3. Go to Piano Roll editor, add some notes.

Now: how do I tell LP "OK, apply your SmartQuantize again", so that the newly added notes get quantized? Hitting the Piano Roll editor's Q button doesn't do it, whether or not the new note is selected. The Q key (mapped to the same button) doesn't do it.

The quantization I'm interested in is a non-standard Q-swing, so e.g. I enter 8th notes in the piano roll, and they get swung during quantization. 

The only way I can find to re-apply the per-region quantize parameters is to change one of those parameters in the region inspector. 

I hope there is a better way...

Thanks.

AFAIK, the quantization in the Piano Roll differs from the Region parameter so one could apply different quantization types/values. While the Region quantization parameter is to apply on all the region in one go.

You could perhaps use different tracks or different regions for more flexibility… 

Edited by Atlas007

16 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

AFAIK, the quantization in the Piano Roll differs from the Region parameter so one could apply different quantization types/values.

I only referred to the piano roll Q button because I was shooting in the dark, trying everything I could think of to do what I want to do. I don't want to use the piano roll quantization parameters; the swing controls don't behave like the per-region controls.

The only thing I really want to use the piano roll editor for is to edit some notes - after the per-region quantization/swing has been applied. Then, after I do that, I want to apply the per-region swing quantization to those new notes.

• Solution
On 5/21/2022 at 7:09 PM, dmitch57 said:

how do I tell LP "OK, apply your SmartQuantize again", so that the newly added notes get quantized?

I can think of two options, pick the best one for your workflow:

1. Make sure the Tracks area has key focus then press Q.
    OR
  2. In the Region inspector, click the Quantize parameter value and click it again to re-select it.