Simple Upgrade Question

GMP24

Hi,

Upgrading Logic to a newer version (I am running Mojave 10.14.6) on my MacBook. App store recommends 10.7.4

To avoid any issues, I have compressed and backed up the version I am using. Is it a simple case of downloading the new version and it should work?

Will old sessions be compatible? Plug-ins, VI's?

If there are issues (hopefully not) is it simply a case of reinstating the old Logic version?

Many Thanks,

GMP24

1 hour ago, GMP24 said:

Upgrading Logic to a newer version (I am running Mojave 10.14.6) on my MacBook. App store recommends 10.7.4

With Mojave you can only go to Logic 10.5.1.

If you try to upgrade know at the App Store it will tell you that you need macOS Big Sur.

So make sure you have a zipped copy of the app backed up.

Then delete the Logic app in your Applications folder.

Go to the App Store, to your purchase tab, and then re-download Logic. It should download the latest compatible version.

If you already have Logic 10.5.1, you can only go higher with macOS Catalina (only 10.6.3), Big Sur and Mojave (latest version).

• Like 1

Hi, Thanks for that. Just before I do this, should previous sessions open okay in the new version and should any logic instruments/sounds/settings remain the same within those settings. Does the new program install a completely new Logic instrument set?

Thanks Triplets,

GMP24

Previous sessions are never a guarantee to open perfectly in new versions of Logic. There might be differences in the sound due to changes in coding. If compatibility is important then write the Logic version used in the session file name and back that up with Logic as well. (Still you might later not be able to open that version of Logic in future versions of Mac OS) The best solution though: export as audio stems for future proofing or simply finish your songs and move on. 

30 minutes ago, Mania said:

Previous sessions are never a guarantee to open perfectly in new versions of Logic. There might be differences in the sound due to changes in coding. If compatibility is important then write the Logic version used in the session file name and back that up with Logic as well. (Still you might later not be able to open that version of Logic in future versions of Mac OS) The best solution though: export as audio stems for future proofing or simply finish your songs and move on. 

that seems a bit... extreme. there is a cutoff point (not sure what it is), where you need an older logic to translate really old projects, and then you can open them in the current version.

i can open my projects from 2008 right now (they need to be re-saved for the current logic). and plugins i no longer have of course don't show up. but it's a workable path.

1 hour ago, fisherking said:

that seems a bit... extreme. there is a cutoff point (not sure what it is), where you need an older logic to translate really old projects, and then you can open them in the current version.

i can open my projects from 2008 right now (they need to be re-saved for the current logic). and plugins i no longer have of course don't show up. but it's a workable path.

My wife always tells me i am overly cautious:)

Thanks Mania, fisherking,

Certainly demos and idea sessions could be needed in the future. Some days I think going to a new computer system and keeping the old (two systems) may be easier. But expensive. I like to think I can keep utilising what I have to the max but be able to bring up those ideas from the past when required.

GMP24

1 hour ago, GMP24 said:

Thanks Mania, fisherking,

Certainly demos and idea sessions could be needed in the future. Some days I think going to a new computer system and keeping the old (two systems) may be easier. But expensive. I like to think I can keep utilising what I have to the max but be able to bring up those ideas from the past when required.

GMP24

how far back do they go? (again, my oldest sessions from 2008 can be opened)...