trouble with piano roll

andyr
Go to solution Solved by andyr,

Hi all,

I just created a few measures of a drum part and tried to quantize it and nothing happened. The notes wouldn't move when I selected them and hit the Q button.

I deleted what I had and started over, and now I hear what I keyed in but I don't see visual representation in the Piano Roll.

I'm using the Retro Rock Kit. 

I've never had any trouble doing this before and I'm not sure where to start looking. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Andy

10 hours ago, andyr said:

The notes wouldn't move when I selected them and hit the Q button.

Is it possible that your Time Quantize was set to Off? Or maybe the notes were already quantized? It's hard to tell without a specific example. If you have this happening again, post some screenshots or attach a simplified version of the project here so that we can have a look. 

10 hours ago, andyr said:

now I hear what I keyed in but I don't see visual representation in the Piano Roll.

Here again, hard to answer this without being able to see the project. For example, it's possible that the Piano Roll is showing you the wrong pitch range, or the wrong time range. So here again don't hesitate to attach a project so that one of us can have a look. 

You can see the entire Quantize control panel is greyed out. The C1 kick is selected properly, and it, and the Center Snare are audible when I play the region. And you can see that, although I've selected a region, it says there are none selected.

I opened a new project and didn't have this issue, fyi.

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.08.23 PM.png

• Like 1

• Solution

David (and anyone else reading) I figured it out. Simple solution, as usual. I did a test project where Quantize was working the way it always does for me, took a screen shot of the Piano Roll menu bar and Quantize parameters, then I compared the settings in the screen shot to those in my project. I discovered I had the "strength" parameter turned off completely. Moved the slider back up to 100% and all is good!

• Like 1