Scary fact about new Mac Studio

melodea

I just watched a youtube video of a very successful producer who switched to mac studio ultra after using mac pro for years. There was no way he could run smoothly any of the old Logic sessions with the new machine. He then sold it and went back to the old mac pro. I think my approach would be to have two systems: if you want mac studio built it up as a new workplace with the old one still in function. Maybe one day old projects will run on the new macs but till then, if you don't have time to run against a wall I think to exchange your running system with a new mac studio is like a production suicide. 

What's your take on that?

Here is the link to the vid:

Edited by melodea

My take is don't assume one person's experience is everybody's experience.

It's *heavily* dependent on what third-party tools you run, and the state of them.

However, keeping your existing machine in service while you build and test out a new machine, with a completely new platform, is generally a good idea and good professional practice - you then make the switch once you *know* all the things you need are working well.

If all that sounds like too much work, then stick with an Intel machine for the next couple of years and wait for everything to stabilise and settle down.

My experience on Logic/M1 is solid, with way better performance than I had previously, and no real compatibility issues.

• Like 1

Agree with Des99.

There are many people on this forum having great success with the new chips and others with issues that can be resolved by asking questions here. Most of the issues seem to revolve around 3rd Party plug-ins which aren't yet compatible, or struggle in Rosetta, but obviously manufacturers will endeavour to make their plug-ins work, ideally natively, over time.

None of this would put me off buying a Mac Studio later this year but yes, I'd be keeping my 2012 mini.

I'll also be installing 3rd party apps from scratch, in small batches and checking for issues with existing projects that way rather than installing everything at once.

• Like 1

I agree with what has been said, you can't make up your mind based on only one user's feedback. Having said that I consider that it's always a great idea to keep the old Mac while you get used to the new one, and if you have to, you can complete the old project on the old Mac while you start new projects on the new one. Great approach. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I agree with what has been said, you can't make up your mind based on only one user's feedback. Having said that I consider that it's always a great idea to keep the old Mac while you get used to the new one, and if you have to, you can complete the old project on the old Mac while you start new projects on the new one. Great approach. 

Yes, this exactly the approach I have taken... and so far, haven't had any issues on the new machine that I didn't on the previous MacPro.    These Ultras are absolutely amazing.

• Like 1

Agree with whats been said, especially 3rd party plugs. Just for the record I'm able to still open L6 and L8 projects on 10.7.2 (no 3rd party plugs though). Other than a few Environment ajustments to be made, there's nothing that wont load.

Good idea to have 2 machines. Thats the approach I'll take as I may have a situation where I'll want to go AS before my current 2019 machine is done with. Meanwhile it is doing just fine and I won't be wanting to do without certain plugs that aren't AS supported natively as yet.

• Like 2