The Customising Logic Pro X GUI Colours Thread

beej

Thank you for all of your help. Without you guys I dont know what I would do, I am so use to logic ( that I was not even going to use my copy of logic pro X mainly because of the new interface. The skeuomorphism is welcomed, but the colors are not to my taste AT ALL.

I please PLEASE beg of of you guys to help me change the arrange window color to something lighter, as well as the piano roll if it is possible. I have a basic knowledge of computers but not enough to figure out how to do this on my own.

I have the plist Resource folder opened up, now what do I do?

And thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

The available top level colour categories are:

lpx_collist.jpg

Ok, Beej. Where do you get a window like the one you're displaying? I've opened the Contents folder of Logic X, and navigated to the Resources folder. But, when I open it, I get what almost looks like HTML, rather than a clean, indexed directory as your screen shot documents.

I'm like many others who would like customization for the interface. And, am moderately computer savvy. But, I'm more than a bit hesitant to start mucking around with figures that don't seem that accessible.

Hopefully in time Apple will give customization to the UI some serious consideration, and release an update that allows for this. In the meantime, any help/insights you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pen

That is the MAResourcesMapping.plist file, opened in a plist editor (Xcode) showing the contents of the file...

ive downloaded Xcode from the app store.

But I would i view the MAResourcesMapping.plist file within it? and how would I locate the arrange window?

Im sorry for coming across as a pesky noob, Its just that for days Ive been following this forum and trying to solve my own problems and change the color of the arrange window to something I can use. I just dont understand what to do. Im not a novice with computers, but I understand I may be wading off into deep waters here, but i dont care if I mess up Logic X as it is unusable to me right now anyway, and i will certainly backup my files. Im photoshop savvy enough to edit the icons in logic pro x to my liking, and without any of you I wouldnt have been able to so thank you.

But the big problem still remains, Where would I locate the Tiff files for the arrange window?? I was trying to decipher the post mentioned earlier that was addressed to the individual who wanted to know where the locator tiff file was located but I do not understand. I know its possible because Chris D, a user on here, has done it.

file.php?id=21566

Of course I have asked him but im still waiting for a reply. How do I view files the way Beej can? I downloaded Xcode and I navigated my way to

/Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/Frameworks/MAResources.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MAResourcesMapping.plist

But after scrolling thru all of the files (took a while) I do not see the Arrange file.

Im also searching for how to change the Piano Roll and Transport bar as well, just to grey up Logic back to the way I loved it, Any help?

At all? sorry to be so annoying.

Of course I have asked him but im still waiting for a reply. How do I view files the way Beej can? I downloaded Xcode and I navigated my way to

/Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/Frameworks/MAResources.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MAResourcesMapping.plist

Yes, just open that file in Xcode.

But after scrolling thru all of the files (took a while) I do not see the Arrange file.

Im also searching for how to change the Piano Roll and Transport bar as well, just to grey up Logic back to the way I loved it, Any help?

Scroll down to "Colors" and click the arrow to open that to see the items it containts. Scroll down to the "Arrange" item and open that, and see what various properties are in there.

Look for:

"Background" in that section, which by default is set to:

"GrayColor:{35,100}".

Change the 35 to something lighter, like 70. Save the file, reload Logic to see the affect.

You should be able to find the other stuff you need that way - be aware that doing extensive, consistent colour overhauls is not trivial as there are *a lot* of settings, some aren't obvious and some are in image files, so you have to do a bit of exploring and reverse engineering to find the properties you need.

That should get you going...

A few notes if you're having trouble tweaking because it's too complex or using Xcode just for the Property List Editor is overkill.

First, for tweaking basic values you can use the free app Text Wrangler. When you open the plist file, it will look like XML, but the code can be folded/collapsed. Hold the option key while clicking the arrow next to the "" on line 4 and everything inside will collapse too. Now reopen by clicking the arrow next to the "" line (without the option key this time!). You should see only a few lines now.

Open the line under "AssetSets" by clicking the arrow, then open the line under "Colors". You can then open "PianoRoll", "Arrange" and "Ruler" from there.

TweakLogicColors.scpt.zip

Text Wrangler has some pretty extensive search capabilities. I've attached an Applescript file that will find tweak 3 brightness settings for the Piano Roll, Ruler and Arrange backgrounds. It will prompt you with the default value and you can change it to a brighter value. The script just uses search and replace within Text Wrangler, so it needs to be installed (it's free).

xml.thumb.jpg.c422eb8aa5894ed94e6d8c62790e56ff.jpg

so no one cares huh? well.. Thank you all for your wonderful help..

a bit confused about what you're asking, but most of the colors in the arrange window are not image files, they're values stored in that .plist file that you mentioned. check beej's post... if you change those values in the plist (you can try it by opening the plist file in textedit) it'll change the background color of the arrange window. other parts of the window are also values in the plist, not .tif files... most of your color customization is going to be editing numbers in the plist, not editing tifs in photoshop. pretty much all the icon files are in that same folder, tho, where the plist is.

i think everyone is still sorting out where to find everything... i am taking it a bit at a time, i immediately changed the arrange background to a lovely pink, which made things considerably more tolerable, enough to actually do my work before playing with it since then. make sure to backup your plist tho, the 10.0.1 update removed all my stuff and i had to re-do it.

Customising Meters

LPX gives us a simple, and really flexible implementation to be able to customise the metering. And if you want your "red" metering to start from, say, -6dBFS to emphasize headroom, you now know how... :)

How to i do that from X code? -6dbfs in metering?

Customising Meters

LPX gives us a simple, and really flexible implementation to be able to customise the metering. And if you want your "red" metering to start from, say, -6dBFS to emphasize headroom, you now know how... :)

How to i do that from X code? -6dbfs in metering?

Well, it's an example, you make the gradient hit red lower down in the meter, so you've got the "warning too far" stage in the meter at a lower level, to remind you to keep lower levels.

Thanks for the great info in this thread. I assume it's probably possible to change the waveform so it is black instead of white (obviously you'd want to do that with lighter background colors)?

It's difficult to know what's posible until you actually go and look for things. I've spent time looking for certain properties, only to eventually find it's actually a tiff graphic rather than a colour property.

The plist has entires for the waveform colour in the sample editor, but not sure about anywhere else offhand - might be there under different names, I just did a quick search for "waveform" and those are the ones I can find.)

Sometimes, properties are used in more than one place (eg, the track header font size is also used for the text in the Library window).

Sometime properties aren't at all obviously named, or there are so many instances and variations that it takes some trial and error to work out which is which. And some properties you'd expect to find aren't there and you have to figure out how a particular window is constructed in order to work out how to proceed.

It's all trial and error at this point, but as well all dig in, make out changes, document our findings and begin to understand what is and isn't possible using this method, we'll gradually uncover these things. It's been interesting so far, for sure..!

Great! Whatabout the inspector region area (above the channelstrip?)

Yeah, I just did that earlier - it was tricky to track down.

It doesn't have a BG color as such, but uses the alternative text lines Raised Dark and Raised Light to specify the colours. I think the darker colour might be used for something else, but I forget now, possibly the activeALternateListRowColor and activeListRowColor under Colors>MAKit - these also dictate the backgrounds for some of the list view stuff - in here the audio bin lists are different to the editor lists, so you have to alter both to match if you are lightening these up too.

My overall lightened up GUI is starting to look pretty good... :)

I cant figure out how to do the Bar at the top, that the transport is apart of Logic X help calls it the control bar, yet I still see no mention of a control bar that seems to control the color. If someone finds out how to do this please let me know.

Until then, I hate the new logic, and no amount of GUI changes may change that. I love the plugins and im use to it, but i might just have to learn Pro tools now.

Like they did with the Macbook Pros, imacs, iphones,Itunes 11, FCPX, and iOS7 Apple ruins every product i loved, and makes them hideous.