Logic X Drummer hi hat notes

mrsoulsound

When using a logic pattern for drums the hi hats sound good.

If I take the region to an external midi track that sends notes to drummer it still plays right but when i try to add notes using the same notes the hats don't play the same.

Most importantly the G#1 note.

From the Logic pattern G#1 is a semi open hat hit with a stick but sending a G#1 note to drummer gets a foot pedal hat closed sample.

I studied the notes being played in the original pattern and they are the same and sound correct if I copy them into my new midi region.

The only difference I've noticed in comparison is that the note in the Logic pattern have a note on message at the specified velocity then a note on message at 0 where my notes have a note on message at velocity then a note off message at 64.

I'm stumped :shock:

Is there any other information that can be communicated with this G#1 midi note? (not by my knowledge) so how does this work?

I understand that I can copy those notes to create my desired personalization but I really want to know what it as work here.

Yes, apparently there is other info conveyed - Articulation ID values..

Drummer/Drum Kit Designer has two different hihat modes:

• Standard General MIDI hihats, where

---- F#1=closedHH,

---- G#1=footHH, and

---- A#1=openHH

• GM+ mode, where the hihats work like this:

---- F#1 is hihat played with stick tip (tight)

---- G#1 is hihat played with stick shank (looser)

---- A#1 is hihat played with stick on edge (loosest)

In GM+ mode, the modwheel (MIDI cc#1) switches between 7 open<->closed variations for each of those 3 notes, from fully closed thru party open thru fully open (these are set by Articulation IDs under CC1 control—if you open a DKD drumkit in EXS and go to the Edit window Groups page, you'll see the 7 hihat Groups).

Apparently, Drummer patterns automatically use this GM+ mode, but if you want to play a DKD kit by hand, you need to switch from the default GM mode to GM+ (in the bottom panel of DKD), and use the modwheel to be able to play the hats with full expressive control.

Btw, for some reason, when I tried this, the Articulation ID data in a MIDI region converted from a Drummer region did not show up in MIDI Draw (Hyper Draw) in the Piano Roll editor pane, but data I generated with the modwheel in GM+ mode did, though first it showed up under the Articulation ID category and not Modwheel, and then somehow switched to the Modwheel category, and the Articulation ID category disappeared from the MIDI Draw menu for that region.. Huh?!?!? Quirky—begs further investigation..

Cheers,

Joe