Score window question

Jangus

When in the Score edit widows, in a piano display mode, isn’t there a place where you can indicate where you want the voices to be defined as to which notes will be on the treble clef or the bass clef.

I’m quite sure I have run into this before and it’s usually middle C, but I need to adjust it for display reasons so it matches up with a choral piece I am transcribing.

I've searched the Docs somewhat but,  I just can’t recall where & how to do this.

Thanks

Yes.... but the answer depends on whether your staff style is setup to use a split point or if it is a polyphonic staff style ( my preference).

In a polyphonic staff styles -  you would set the midi channel of any notes you want in the treble to be the same.... and any notes you want in the bass to be a different midi channel.

You would choose whatever you selected for the midi channel in the staff style.  So if your treble staff was midi channel 1 and you bass staff was midi channel 2 - then just by changing the midi channel of the note - it will shift to the other staff. 

If you are using piano staff style that uses a split point - then highlight the note you want to move to the other staff and select functions->note attributes->voice/staff assignments and choose where you want the note to be voiced. you selected a bass note and you want it voiced up in the treble staff... choose "staff above voice".  If you are in the treble and you want the note or notes voiced on the bass staff, choose "staff below voice" - If you want to put it back to normal - choose default...

You can select multiple notes and shift them all at once if  you desire.

657600897_Splitpointvoicetostaff.gif.9fe49e4b5959a6f1bb68a97cb9ef8362.gif

Ahhh...  that describes it all, quite nicely.

As it turns out, I only had to adjust a few notes here & there, so the Functions/Note Attributes/notes.. etc method was quick and easy. . . But now, I recall the polyphonic staff style method and had forgotten about using a different channels for the notes. I will definitely have to re-read that section in the Docs but at least I know what to search for now.

Thanks so much

What my friend Dan is referring to is the voice separation tool. This allows you to draw a line above or below the notes and provides a graphical way to assign notes to a particular staff. This only works with polyphonic staff styles and is not available for standard split point staff styles. Looking at your staff styles - you are not using polyphonic staff styles therefore you are not able to use the tool Dan is referencing. This is yet another benefit of using polyphonic staff styles. 

266348610_VoiceSeparationtool.gif.e09ef0ad6990f48cd95c724283485273.gif

The Voice Separation tool. 

Wow, that’s a beauty.

I certainly have to explore the polyphonic staff styles much further, and continue to be amazed with the depth of control of the score editor.

In the relatively small project I am working on,  which is all but finished, it may be a bit of over-kill to rearrange it all now, but in future projects, I will be probably be using polyphonic staff styles more often right from the start.

Most helpful, and thanks, Volovicg & DanRad.

OK, so, what is the initial process when wanting to create a polyphonic staff setup for a new project ?

There doesn’t appear to be a selection for it anywhere.

Do you write each voice in a separate track and it all comes together somehow in a score sheet?

I saw the commands; Select All, then right click on selected region and do MIDI /separate by note pitch or by MIDI channel and tried them but nothing seems to happen.

How do I get started with it ?

thanks

Very simple....

in the staff style window ( under the midi channel) - select a channel for the notes on the treble staff, then select a channel for the notes on the bass.

Lets say you choose Midi channel #1 for the treble and # 2 for the bass)....

Now whether you record in real-time, step edit, drag and drop, whatever - notes that are associated with midi channel #1 will show up in the treble staff and notes associated with channel #2 are on the bass staff. 

2102774597_ScreenShot2017-06-19at3_31_25PM.png.99fb9fd8e4f5a9c6b8902f33f0719c88.png