movie freezing

Arkadi

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
You guys found a solution for this yet? I've the same problem (in 10.3.1 and 10.3.2). I found a half decent workaround for this. Right click on the movie and select "reset movie region". The movie will unfreeze. After a while the movie hangs again. I wasn't able to repeat this workaround. It just works once :(

Just wanted to update that I'm having the same issue--but it's inconsistent. Some movies, no problem, and some have tons of problems. But the project I'm working on, all the vids come from the same client, so the settings SHOULD be the same. "Reset Movie Region" worked for me once or twice, but if I try it repeatedly when it doesn't fix the problem, it eventually causes the beach ball and I have to force quit. Also worth noting, whenever I Cmd-Q to quit because I'm having this video issue, once Logic is closed, I get a "Logic closed unexpectedly" popup. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What format movies are you working with?

I use Quick time 7 to re-encode most movies as Pro Res 422 or if they are large (long) then Pro Res Proxy - this is a very processor lite format with proper frames, seems to work very well. I have re-encoded as photo jpeg for years which has also proved very good, but ususally use pro res these days. Another thing to do is make the dimensions smaller when re-encoding, you don't need to be working to 1920px movies. Make sure you keep the same frame rate when you re-encode.  The easiest thing obviosuly is to ask the editor to supply you the format you want to save you the hassle of re-encoding.

I use Quick time 7 to re-encode most movies as Pro Res 422 or if they are large (long) then Pro Res Proxy - this is a very processor lite format with proper frames, seems to work very well. I have re-encoded as photo jpeg for years which has also proved very good, but ususally use pro res these days. Another thing to do is make the dimensions smaller when re-encoding, you don't need to be working to 1920px movies. Make sure you keep the same frame rate when you re-encode.  The easiest thing obviosuly is to ask the editor to supply you the format you want to save you the hassle of re-encoding.

Thank you for your suggestion, i tried it with Quicktime 7 but it doesn't solve the problem. Pro Res 422 or Pro Res Proxy makes a H264 (AVC Coding) quicktime file bigger not smaller. All the diffrent codecs i've tried haven't helped anything...

Thank you for your suggestion, i tried it with Quicktime 7 but it doesn't solve the problem. Pro Res 422 or Pro Res Proxy makes a H264 (AVC Coding) quicktime file bigger not smaller. All the diffrent codecs i've tried haven't helped anything...

Are you saying the movie still freezes when you use a prores proxy encoded movie? Don't worry about the filesize being bigger, that is fine and to be expected. H264 is a bad format to work with in my opinion as it is very processor intensive to decode (play) and it doesn't make proper frames. Pro Res Proxy and Photo Jpeg have actual frames (i can't remember whht the technical name for this is) and they are easily decoded - i.e. your processor is used for audio rather decoding video on the fly. Try a QT movie encoded as Photo Jpeg, I've used that for years with no issues. The other thing to try is store the movie file on a different HD to your system/app which certainly used to help, not sure if it still does in these days of ssd disks but I continue to do it out of habit.  Also check your logic movie framerate settings are same as the native movie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
yes i agree. And by the way: i tried many codecs and formats (including those in this thread) and it doesn't make a difference, the problem persists. So your mp4 is probably fine. Only thing that helps me is to NOT close the movie file in Logic even if i don't use it, which is easier when you have two screens.

i also have the very same problem and it hasn´t gone with logic 10.4 and it is really annoying. the named workarounds sometimes help sometimes not.

i have it on a 2012 macpro aswell as on a maxed out 2017 macbook pro i7, so it shouldn´t have to do with graphicscards or somekind of outdated hardware.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Same problem here in 10.4.1 on 10.13.3.

Thanks for the solution suggestions but they are only fixes until they stop working also. Apple, please let us use photo.jpg etc again so we don't have to decode a codec during playback! I compose for film and this is really annoying. Why "fix" what wasn't broken with being able to use other formats besides h.264?

• 1 month later...
Quick update: I still have the problem, but usually it seems to correlate with the file size. We use a video sharing website, frame.io, and when you upload a video, it gives you different options for size/quality to re-download it, so I always just download the lowest res version (still great resolution for me to work with) and I have no problems. To be clear--I'll upload large files to that site just so I can download smaller low-res versions. You may able to do a free account for that, and there's probably other software that does the same thing for free, like maybe DaVinci's free version, but I haven't tried.

• 1 month later...
I'm getting this a lot but only when i am in cycle mode for a longer period of time. Any new insights?

Nope -- same problem, I just try to get the videos as small as possible or close/open Logic. I get it in cycle mode, or if I'm doing it manually many times, play-stop-return playhead to wherever it was-play, etc.

i think i might have this sussed. i called apple support. one of the first things we tried was going through my plug-ins and getting rid of old and orphaned plugs. i knocked out a bunch of older plugs that I don't use anymore.. and that haven't been updated in a while... mind you none of which were open in the project i was working on. but since i did that, i haven't had a freeze.

i remember this being an issue a while back for another problem i was having (connecting logic remote). i can wholeheartedly advise having a long and hard look at your plugins and getting rid of any third party plugz you don't use!

Hi Monobeat, thanks for your input. What do you mean by "knocked out"? thought this was taken care of by the au validation > if the plug doesn't pass the au validation it doesn't load anymore. How did Apple Support tell you to erase them? just take the plug out of the components folder or straight to trash?

validation it seems is a slightly lower bar ;) in the plugin-manager you can deselect plugins by removing the check in the box on the righthand side of the window. removing them from the component folder and trashing them will of course also work... or de-installing properly, for instance with 'cleanmymac3'

• 6 months later...
no change for me--i get one shot at the 'refresh' option on the movie, and if it happens again i just save and close the project--if i try to 'refresh' again Logic just freezes and i have to force close. more likely to happen with large movie files (as in gigs), so i'll make smaller versions when i can, and also more likely to happen if i'm working really close up, like frame by frame dragging the playhead around. i just try to be more thoughtful in my approach, click/drag less. still a huge pain in the ass. i deal with regularly