Logics biggest flaw? No customer support....

aguyfromsomewhere

You and I may like it or not, but fact is that a company's customer support is usually busy 95% of the time with answering the most basic questions which are almost always answered on the first three pages of the manual.

Then, I personally would rather have the Logic team work on the software instead of answering the phone. And handing off support of such a deep program (which was 80% of what it is long before Apple was involved) to support center droids who just follow their script would not improve the situation.

There is a Logic section on the Apple Forums where users do what Apple should, but since its search function is hopeless and the use thereof is not even encouraged for whatever reasons, it is far less of a knowledge base than it could be. Also, while Apple can't be bothered to answer questions, they do actively moderate the forum and delete posts they don't like as they see fit.

This forum here is quite possibly the best resource you can find, thanks to David. To be honest, I'd rather have a fellow experienced user tell me something can't be done in Logic or is implemented better in Cubase, than a PR trained Apple bot who just evades clear answers if they don't fit the company mantra.

They do have support - I called them recently because my App Store window update showed the newest update but I couldn't click on it to start the update process. It turns out I couldn't get the update even though the link "update" was active because my OSX version wasn't on the latest version. Kind of a bug in the App Store software.

The guy who helped me was great and professional.

Aside from that this forum is the best resource in the world for any questions.

If you get an extended warrantee with your machine, you have three years to ask Logic questions.. They will also answer questions out of warentee, they have for me. When you first start you get a 1st tier tech.. If you have a real issue, (that might be some kind of bug). They will up to to a 2nd or 3rd tier tech. It's best to research and see if you can find the answer. Cause they have limited times and resources to answer questions. If the problem is serious enough they will look into it.

There was a time they answered Logic questions, then there was a time where they charged $200 to solve an issue. Eventually they dropped that policy. Search and ask question here first, if no joy, try Apple.

To be fair, the program costs $199 and for quite a few years now, there has never been an upgrade charge. So, whatever support they provide is them losing more money. I'm actually pleasantly surprised to hear that some of you have been able to talk to someone on the phone about LogicPro...I may have to try that sometime.

I have found support from this forum to be EXCELLENT, probably better help then you'd get from Apple most of the time.

Yes, this forum is as good a customer support as you are ever likely to get. It has some of the least amount of flaming/trolling/generaldouchery of any place where strangers talk to each other. That said, when you need help first please look to see if someone else has asked the very same question. I find using a search engine better than searching the site itself. Please refrain from simple RTFM questions and questions in all caps. Otherwise you'll be richly rewarded with how much people on here know.

And also contribute when you know the answer to a question. This isn't 'David's free Logic Support' site, it is a great community of people looking to help each other out.

When I first purchased Logic (version 6), I had a terrible time trying to create a custom environment by which Logic could send bank change messages to my Yamaha S08 keyboard. This forum helped me understand LSB/MSB and all the other intricacies involves in establishing communication between Logic and the synth. That seems like a million years ago. (Incredibly, I still use the S08, though as a midi keyboard controller rather than for its onboard sounds.)

But my point is that logicprohelp.com has been my go-to source for Logic-related help from the start and will continue to be in the future. Friendly, knowledgable people willing to help users at all levels of experience. This is as good as it gets.

Jim

I agree, this forum is great, but there are issues i've encountered that no ones able to help with. For these type of things, i wish there as a customer support you can speak with, that way if it really is a BUG, they can forward it to the engineering team to get fixed. Not bagging on this board at all, im jus saying there really should be a dedicated line whether email or a forum, where we can submit issues directly to people who have all the resources surrounding logic.

refrain from simple RTFM questions

That would be a lot easier if there was a manual :roll: The current Help system is a joke. I ended up having to buy two books (one was David's) to get what I consider to be pretty basic information. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but over the years using a lot of different hardware and software I've never seen anything as bad as this.

I'm still very much a beginner with Logic and find this forum invaluable. The recent thread about oscillator triggering in RetroSynth is a great example.

Yes, this forum is as good a customer support as you are ever likely to get. It has some of the least amount of flaming/trolling/generaldouchery of any place where strangers talk to each other. That said, when you need help first please look to see if someone else has asked the very same question. I find using a search engine better than searching the site itself. Please refrain from simple RTFM questions and questions in all caps. Otherwise you'll be richly rewarded with how much people on here know.

And also contribute when you know the answer to a question. This isn't 'David's free Logic Support' site, it is a great community of people looking to help each other out.

I've used the search engine...here and in google...I still couldn't find an answer to my issue. I've even uploaded picture/video to my issue, and no one has an idea im guessing because there has been no feedback.

RTFM question...please link me in the manual where my question has been answered, and i will dance at your wedding :) . I have yet to find any reference to my catch playhead question, or my tool key command question....im pretty sure both are bugs, which...cannot be replicated 100% of the time...its a random thing that happens randomly...

refrain from simple RTFM questions

That would be a lot easier if there was a manual :roll: The current Help system is a joke. I ended up having to buy two books (one was David's) to get what I consider to be pretty basic information. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but over the years using a lot of different hardware and software I've never seen anything as bad as this.

I'm still very much a beginner with Logic and find this forum invaluable. The recent thread about oscillator triggering in RetroSynth is a great example.

Logic once came with a printed manual. I very much wish that was still the case, or at least an option.

My point was more about questions that are simply answered, and there *IS* a manual, 4 or 5 of them in digital form. My comment certainly was not meant to be harsh, I just know that I personally don't answer the very basic questions that sometimes, usually by brand new users of the forum, ask. As far as super specific questions, I doubt any Apply support person would know more than the collective brain here short of speaking to an actual developer.

I found the Logic Pro X Support page at https://support.apple.com/logic-pro to be a good starting point.

When I use the feedback page I simply make it a point to choose the latest version of Logic possible (10.4.4) and indicate that I am actually using the latest at 10.4.7

About "where in the manual?" I agree it can be hard to find, if at all. Some of the answers can be found in the Logic Pro 9 manual ;-) and even Logic 8. I keep copies of all of the manuals (as best I can) and make it a point to search all of them if necessary.

I did some hunting on the key command "issue" - see the latest entries - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=144711&p=752202#p752202