Is converting all my One Shot Samples and Loops into Apple Loops a good idea?

Out.Line

Hi all.

As a result of me starting to produce daily, my sample library has become rather large compared to what I'm used to. I don't know the exact number but I think I now own over 30,000 third-party samples and I'm becoming frustrated with having to search in 6 or 7 different places to be able to find a snare for a given song. To be clear, by sample library I mean drum one shots, melodic loops, midi progressions and some melody one shots - this is content I acquired from Cymatics, NI Maschine 2, AKAI MPC, Battery 4, XO by XLN Audio, Splice and a couple others.

My problem is that to find my Cymatics packs for example, I need to use the MacOS Finder since Logic's media browser won't preview 32-bit samples, which is the format of most of my samples. To access my Battery, Maschine, MPC or XO samples I need to pull up the specific plug-ins and use them, which is overkill when I might just need a snare or a hihat and pulling up an entire instance of Maschine 2 to get a snare makes me pretty frustrated.

I've decided that I only want to use Logic's Drum Machine Designer to program drums, and my plan is to extract all the samples from every single third party pack and drum sequencer plugin and convert them all to Apple Loops so I can quickly access my entire library of contents from one window while having the added benefit of all my melody samples being key and tempo compliant immediately. In theory this sounds like a GREAT idea, and I've even converted 1 Native Instruments expansion into Apple Loops and I love working that way. But converting my entire library will take to weeks to accomplish. I do have the time to make this happen and I want to do it, but my question is:

Is this even a good idea to begin with or is there a much simpler way to get around this? I've searched the internet for a solution and I see most people just using tons of different plugins and apps to host their samples, which is something that I really dislike since it slows down my workflow a lot.

Looking forward to your opinions and possible suggestions. Thank you and have a great day!

I’ve added my whole sample library via the untagged loops. Everything will preview in time and you can drag any audio out of there into a sampler on in the grid without the need to use Finder.

The key here is organising your sample library prior to this first as it is a mirror image of what’s on your HD

Hope that helps

I’ve added my whole sample library via the untagged loops. Everything will preview in time and you can drag any audio out of there into a sampler on in the grid without the need to use Finder.

The key here is organising your sample library prior to this first as it is a mirror image of what’s on your HD

Hope that helps

Thanks for the idea!

As I understand it, the difference with using the Untagged loops feature is that loops won't automatically flex to the song's tempo and key right? And I think you're not able to search the untagged loops directory by writing "kick" on the search bar like in the normal Apple Loops, or are you? Otherwise, is there any difference? Thank you for sharing your workflow, I really appreciate it.

The only think you don’t get is the key, everything else you need is there. You can search kicks or anything and it will give you all your results - you can see your folders and search within them.

You can choose to conform to tempo at the bottom where you preview by the independent volume control

Makes working with loops a breeze. If you wanna change the key just hit the transpose in the inspector - no easier way!

The only think you don’t get is the key, everything else you need is there. You can search kicks or anything and it will give you all your results - you can see your folders and search within them.

You can choose to conform to tempo at the bottom where you preview by the independent volume control

Makes working with loops a breeze. If you wanna change the key just hit the transpose in the inspector - no easier way!

Thanks, I will take a deeper look at it!