A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

 
User avatar
Warrior
Topic Author
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:02 am

Snapping Regions Acurately

Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:36 am

One thing that has continued to plague me is getting my regions to line up with or snap to a grid line.
There always seems to be a gap or overlap and I have to zoom in to tweak it.

I know there must be a simple setting I'm not using right. I've looked all over the place and have tried many different things but this still eludes me.

Can someone please guide me through this basic principle?

Thank you so much!

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 11.31.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 11.31.23 AM.png (321.69 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Logic Pro X 10.6.3
Audient iD14 Interface
2018 Mac Mini 3.2Ghz i7, 64GB RAM 1 TB SSD (OS,apps) & 1TB External SSD (Logic Projects), OS X 10.15.7
 
evil_cliff
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:11 am

Re: Snapping Regions Acurately

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:55 am

It’s the same with with me as well. I’ve changed the snap setting from smart (it’s not very smart) to Devision - and then made key commands for 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/32.

If you don’t wanna do that move the play head to the bar or beat you want to snap to and Hit “;” which is pickup clock (should be called move to playhead in my opinion)

Hope that offers some help
OS 10.15.6 - Logic 10.5.1 - Ableton Live 10 - ProTools 2019 - Mac Pro 2019 384Gb Ram - Novation SLMk3 - Sonnet M.2 4x4 - Samsung Evo 950 - UA Apollo 8 - Midisport 4x4 - Sonnet Echo Express - Juno106 - Sequential OB-6 - Roland JV1080 - Moog Sub37
 
User avatar
Danny Wyatt
Moderator
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:20 am
Contact:

Re: Snapping Regions Acurately

Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:18 am

Warrior wrote:
One thing that has continued to plague me is getting my regions to line up with or snap to a grid line.
There always seems to be a gap or overlap and I have to zoom in to tweak it.

I know there must be a simple setting I'm not using right. I've looked all over the place and have tried many different things but this still eludes me.

Can someone please guide me through this basic principle?

Thank you so much!

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 11.31.23 AM.png


There are 2 things I can think of:
1 - Under the SNAP menu, do you have it set to Snap Regions to Absolute Value or Snap Regions to Relative Value? When I want something really accurate, I make it "Absolute Value".
2 - If it's an audio track and you are trying to align the end of the region (right edge), but your anchor is on the left, then Logic is snapping the left edge, not the right
• Logic Pro X 10.4.6 • M-Audio Fast Track Pro 4x4
• MacBook Pro mid 2010 • macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 • 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 • 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

-----------------------------------------
Danny Wyatt (formerly known as 3ple) - Musician and Music Producer
http://www.iamdannywyatt.com (links to all my social media included)
 
User avatar
Atlas007
Posts: 9815
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:58 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Snapping Regions Acurately

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:40 pm

Speaking about snap, what about the snap to zero crossing feature?
LogicPro 10.6.3, MainStage3.5.3
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6
MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.15.7
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, Arturia, etc...
PC, iPad3(V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL), Several vintage gear
 
User avatar
Warrior
Topic Author
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:02 am

Re: Snapping Regions Acurately

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:13 am

Danny Wyatt wrote:

There are 2 things I can think of:
1 - Under the SNAP menu, do you have it set to Snap Regions to Absolute Value or Snap Regions to Relative Value? When I want something really accurate, I make it "Absolute Value".
2 - If it's an audio track and you are trying to align the end of the region (right edge), but your anchor is on the left, then Logic is snapping the left edge, not the right


I did have it set to "Relative".

When you say "anchor", would that be the playhead or could it be something else?
Logic Pro X 10.6.3
Audient iD14 Interface
2018 Mac Mini 3.2Ghz i7, 64GB RAM 1 TB SSD (OS,apps) & 1TB External SSD (Logic Projects), OS X 10.15.7
 
User avatar
Danny Wyatt
Moderator
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:20 am
Contact:

Re: Snapping Regions Acurately

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:42 am

Warrior wrote:
I did have it set to "Relative".

Did changing it to Relative solve your problem?


Warrior wrote:
When you say "anchor", would that be the playhead or could it be something else?

The anchor point is a reference point that Logic uses to align audio regions. As default, when you double click an audio region and you click the File tab (by default it goes to the Track tab), the anchor will be on the far left side at the bottom.
anchor-left.jpg
anchor-left.jpg (154.15 KiB) Viewed 402 times


That's why when you move a region around, it will use the left edge of the region to align/snap the region. If you drag an audio region around in your Tracks area you will see a gray vertical line
anchor-left.gif
anchor-left.gif (277.38 KiB) Viewed 402 times


Now you can drag that anchor point to any place inside your audio region
anchor-custom.jpg
anchor-custom.jpg (79.36 KiB) Viewed 402 times


And then you will see that the vertical gray line is now in a different spot and it also shows a black dot so you can see where it is
anchor-custom.gif
anchor-custom.gif (411.39 KiB) Viewed 402 times


This is very useful when you want to snap a different part of the audio, for example if you have a reverse sound you probably want the right edge to snap to the grid, instead of the left.

Hope it helps and hope you were able to finally fix your project :)
• Logic Pro X 10.4.6 • M-Audio Fast Track Pro 4x4
• MacBook Pro mid 2010 • macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 • 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 • 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

-----------------------------------------
Danny Wyatt (formerly known as 3ple) - Musician and Music Producer
http://www.iamdannywyatt.com (links to all my social media included)
 
User avatar
Warrior
Topic Author
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:02 am

Re: Snapping Regions Acurately

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:22 pm

Danny Wyatt wrote:
Warrior wrote:
I did have it set to "Relative".

Did changing it to Relative solve your problem?


Warrior wrote:
When you say "anchor", would that be the playhead or could it be something else?

The anchor point is a reference point that Logic uses to align audio regions. As default, when you double click an audio region and you click the File tab (by default it goes to the Track tab), the anchor will be on the far left side at the bottom.
anchor-left.jpg

That's why when you move a region around, it will use the left edge of the region to align/snap the region. If you drag an audio region around in your Tracks area you will see a gray vertical line
anchor-left.gif

Now you can drag that anchor point to any place inside your audio region
anchor-custom.jpg

And then you will see that the vertical gray line is now in a different spot and it also shows a black dot so you can see where it is
anchor-custom.gif

This is very useful when you want to snap a different part of the audio, for example if you have a reverse sound you probably want the right edge to snap to the grid, instead of the left.

Hope it helps and hope you were able to finally fix your project :)


This is great stuff! Thank you for putting this together.
I'm making progress. I haven't had much time to try different scenarios as I've been busy finishing some mixes but I will be editing some tracks very soon.
Logic Pro X 10.6.3
Audient iD14 Interface
2018 Mac Mini 3.2Ghz i7, 64GB RAM 1 TB SSD (OS,apps) & 1TB External SSD (Logic Projects), OS X 10.15.7