Problems with multiple MIDI tracks for one instrument

dmitch57
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

The situation: a multi-output Software Instrument with multiple MIDI tracks. I'm not talking about multiple mixer channels for the instrument outputs, I mean additional tracks created with "New Track With Same Channel". I use this so e.g. different drum kit pieces have their own MIDI tracks.

Two problems:

• I can't figure out how to mute one such MIDI track without muting all of the others associated with its instrument. E.g., if I mute the hi-hat track, then the kick and snare tracks get muted too. Surely there is a way to mute them individually (other than muting regions)?

• Similarly, if I assign a color to one such MIDI track, all of the others associated with that instrument take on the same color. That is really not what I want.

Is there a way around these oddities?

Thanks.

• Solution

The easiest way to mute is to use Track On/Off buttons. Press Option-M to toggle the track off and on (and the first time you do you will see the On/off buttons appear on your track headers).

The color of a track is actually the color of the object you've assigned to that track. Because all the tracks are assigned to the same object, they all have the same color. No way around this. You can still have individual colors for the different regions on the tracks.