Using Multi-timbral instruments - independent volume control

treblebob

Hi

I'm a relatively new Logic user, slowly making the transition from DP. I'm working mostly in TV and Film.

There are several features in logic which still allude me (after many months), and perhaps I can find the answers here. I'll start with multi-timbral instruments.

I'm looking for a streamlined way to use multi-timbral instruments. If I use the "Multi-timbral" instruments set-up feature, logic creates the number of instruments I indicate. But they don't seem to posses discreet midi connections; that is, when I try to change any midi data on one channel, (cc7 for ex.) all the midi channels are effected. I've had a colleague set up a work around in the environment window, but it's pretty complicated (I can go into further detail - maybe this is the only way), and difficult to replicate in the event that I want to set something up myself. Are there other ways to do this?

Thanks,

RC

If I use the "Multi-timbral" instruments set-up feature, logic creates the number of instruments I indicate. But they don't seem to posses discreet midi connections;

Yes they do, with the exception of cc7 and cc10, which are used for the Instrument Audio Channel Object itself. So they control volume and pan of the "audio" flowing through that channelstrip, (regardless of MIDI channel).

If you've set up your multi so that all instruments route to one instrument channelstrip, rather than giving them their own aux channels, then cc7 and cc10 will affect vol and pan for all instruments in your multi.

With Kontakt, this doesn't matter as you have to manually assign MIDI automation points anyway and you can use other CC's. Or you can use the very simple environment technique I posted in this thread:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=30689

. . if you want to use cc10 and cc7 from MIDI tracks, (not instrument tracks).

But things can vary for different VI's. Vienna Ensemble uses cc11 by default for each instruments level, which is handy. But in general, if you want to automate mix levels for instruments, you're MUCH better off using Logic's audio engine via multi-outs and aux's. Better resolution, you're always working with the same pan law, etc.

If you search this site, you can find many different multi-instrument setup variations, depending on the kind of workflow you want. Tons of posts on this.

• 12 years later...

This is crazy. I helped develop MIDI with Apple in the 80's. I met Steve At UCLA and gave him a copy of my SYS ex dumps code to collect patches from Roland and Kurzweil machines, and huge book of all midi language.

A "Multi timbral" instrument is by definition multi single instruments.

EACH midi channel 1-16 is independent with a different header. Thus you add VI instruments that has 16 tracks MIDI channel 1-16 they can play at different volumes and no bleed over with entire different data set.

When you add a VI instrument in Logic X and select box Multi Timbral, it adds 16 tracks with separate MIDI channels, but all volumes are tied to all tracks? Really? .

Now every other logical person in the world treats a muti timbral 16 separate midi channel tracks as independent. Every single Software manufacture treats it that way including World Wide ISO 9600 and MIDI World Standard. Why does Apple treat it as a "Group" thus you cant adjust any channels independently with mix slider in Logic? thats crazy stupid! Logic used to do that automatically. SO to find the answer you need to program? Really? Thats not a work around that is insanity.

Now the work around is to do all this crazy stuff requires users to do all this work! Well Users dont work for Apple, Apple works for its users (Quote from Steve Jobs ). This is a mess! Steve would be rolling in his grave to think they wrecked his creation like this. Apple pioneered and led the industry on MIDI since the Mac Plus and Se with MOTU and Performer. I know because i beta tested it and helped develop it! Maybe my logic X is out of date, but i checked for updates and none. And it treats a VI Multi Timbral as a single instrument not a single "Instance"!

So to work around you crash your computer to have 16 to 32 instances of Kontakt running? My gosh has Apple lost its mind in the LOGIC area. So lets figure this out. I have over 389 Virtual instruments I own. So i must go in and setup templates for each one to write music set up Aux channels and create a web of night mare that must be unraveled to mix? ? Cubase, Studio On, Dorico. Cakewalk, Digital Performer all do this by default. In other words the entire world does this by default. Why? Because there programmers want the user to have a pleasant experience using the software. Not drive a user to quit the industry and feel stupid. When you add a VI instrument or External midi device that is multi timbral and can receive 16 midi channels of simultaneous data, LOGIC should keep each track independent. So the user does not have to cram aspirin all over Apples logic, and all over there Apple computer. Accepting programming incompetence is no excuse for success.

Please post a link on site that gives all the templates for all the VI's NOT made by Apple that allow user to just add multi timbral 16 ch midi instrument and have them all act independent.... Oh Yea Apples VI's all work fine!!! In my generation (The generation that actually invented this stuff) if a program did not do what the world standard did, we did not buy or use the program, if you could not afford to purchase another program you went to College student store and got your money back! . And Instead purchased a program where the Customer is always right and the company strives to make the user experience pleasant and fun and the purpose and the function of the software magnified your abilitys.

I love Apple but when your wrong fess up, provide a work around and fix the software. "Man Up" is what we said. Logic is awesome and so stable. But a nightmare to use now.

In the Film and TV world and your career is on the line in Hollywood, and you could loose your home if one thing goes wrong, we use programs that do not require a PHD or aspirin to use to do 101 basic stuff and prevent you from doing your basic job.

Kind Regards

B