Logic Pro 10.7 Released

David Nahmani

Such an advanced mix-focused update and we still don’t get basic functions like the ability to move tracks in the mixer and plug-in+I/O search… well, back to the feedback form i guess!

Or create our own colours for tracks and regions (including black/white), something I used a lot in LP9 and missing ever since LPX came along. :roll:

For a company that markets itself on technical innovation so much, the fact that Apple's default position with Logic seems to be endlessly playing 'me too, me too' catchup with Steinberg (usually a year or more in arrears) is something I find quite depressing. Nowadays the only reason I stay with Logic is that I'm too old and set in my ways to want the hassle of learning the quirks of a new DAW.

But to anyone coming new to this game, I'd say choose Cubase. The only advantage I can see of Logic is the price and free updates, when they eventually come along.

It feels like this new interface was designed to be used on laptops (or iPad?). Everything seems too small and there's a lot of gray empty space when viewed on my 27 inch thunderbolt display, but it feels and looks a lot better on my macbook pro screen.

Yes it feels like the icons are smaller but the toolbars are the same size - lots of white space.

Also it seems pretty clear that they are expressly not designing the interface to look good on non-retina displays any more - lots of stuff is blocky and weird. Just look at the blotchy black circle round the 'capture recording' icon, or the snowflake that isn't centred properly on the Freeze icons. And you can really 'see' the pixels on non-retina now. I guess they don't need to soften/antialias stuff when designing for very high-res displays.

I've always thought the Thunderbolt Display is such high quality that I don't miss retina much, but I suddenly find myself squinting, like it's all slightly out of focus... hopefully I just need to get used to it!

Such an advanced mix-focused update and we still don’t get basic functions like the ability to move tracks in the mixer and plug-in+I/O search… well, back to the feedback form i guess!

Or create our own colours for tracks and regions (including black/white), something I used a lot in LP9 and missing ever since LPX came along. :roll:

For a company that markets itself on technical innovation so much, the fact that Apple's default position with Logic seems to be endlessly playing 'me too, me too' catchup with Steinberg (usually a year or more in arrears) is something I find quite depressing. Nowadays the only reason I stay with Logic is that I'm too old and set in my ways to want the hassle of learning the quirks of a new DAW.

But to anyone coming new to this game, I'd say choose Cubase. The only advantage I can see of Logic is the price and free updates, when they eventually come along.

They all play catch-up, just look at the Cubase new features-list since 6.5 and you’ll see stuff there that Logic already had and that Steinberg copied from. It goes both ways. And my personnal view about Cubase specifically is they are the kings of new features-set but the new stuff is almost always half-baked. They fine tune it then for 3 next versions and sometimes…not.

Seems to be Apples latest stunt (well, ever since Logic 10.5 that is) for Logic to require the second to latest macOS version rather than running on all still officially supported OSes.

Any other sequencers on the market still only require Mojave.

Apple's developers have an obligation to support current features and systems Apple requires at launch, and this often precludes linking to older libraries that don't support those features in many cases to support older OS versions.

Third-party developers can afford to have their top applications not work on current machines for a year or two, so they can hang back, along with their userbase, but it's not really an option for Apple.

Of course, if you don't need the latest and greatest, you can always stick with earlier versions, which will still work fine on older machines.

I'm currently running OS X Catalina. I want to upgrade to Big Sur so I can upgrade to LP 10.7 but I'm using a NI Maschine Mikro MK3 & Komplete Kontrol M32, and NI says using Big Sur with the MK3 can cause huge CPU spikes and cause LP to freeze.

Also, I'm using a Behringer XTouch One and Behringer's site says to hold off.

Anyone else using these units with Big Sur?

Edited by Warrior

Yeah well. Big deal. Already heard of people not being happy with certain new font sizes and what not.

Yes, I was one of them. But whether you or I like it or not is irrelevant. Fact is, it makes use of libraries and resources not available in older MacOS versions.

Consistency and efficiency make sense. I believe newer UI use up less resources, are faster to redraw, and allow audio processing to be prioritized over flashy bright fancy graphics. It wouldn't make sense to keep Logic Pro in the past when their entire ecosystem is using these newer, improved UIs.

Separate MIDI input and output ports in the track inspector!

For those running 10.7, I'm interested in how this works, in conjunction with the existing environment routing.

When a track is set to "All", does it receive MIDI via the Sequencer Input environment object as before?

When a track is set to a specific port, does this *bypass* the Sequencer Input object?

Or have the Physical Input and Sequencer Input environment objects and paths/cabling been upgraded to support multiple MIDI ports?

No matter how you put it, they could as well have waited until official Catalina support would end.

Neither myself or you are privvy to the various factors and technical things that go into these decisions, therefore we cannot say what they could or couldn't have done. All we can say is what they did do.

What's next? Logic requiring an M-series CPU?

Eventually yes, there will be only versions of Apple software that no longer include Intel binaries, just like eventually Mac apps stopped including PPC binaries, and 32-bit binaries and so on. That's the march of progress.

It's going to be another year or two maximum and Apple will no longer make or sell Intel machines at all. They'll likely ship Intel binaries for another five years or so, depending on how aggressively they want to move on, and then sometime after that, the OS, and Apple applications, will I'm sure have a version that is no longer compiled for Intel machines, even if those older machines were still capable of running current software.

No matter how you put it, they could as well have waited until official Catalina support would end.

What you're suggesting would require that they do not update Logic to take advantages of the new features in the newer machines and processors and the new versions of MacOS, just for the sake of backward compatibility.

I have a mid-2013 MacBook Air with 4GB of RAM that runs Big Sur and Logic Pro 10.7 without any issues.

As has been suggested, no one is forcing you to move forward if you're happy with your current Mac, MacOS and Logic version. You can continue using Logic 10.6 in Catalina until you're ready to update. But you can't force everyone else to stay stuck in the past and not take advantage of new technology.

When a track is set to "All", does it receive MIDI via the Sequencer Input environment object as before?

When a track is set to a specific port, does this *bypass* the Sequencer Input object?

Or have the Physical Input and Sequencer Input environment objects and paths/cabling been upgraded to support multiple MIDI ports?

I haven't tested it yet but none of the environment was modified. The objects and cabling remains the same. My guess is, what happens in the environment remains unaffected, you just get to select a specific MIDI Port as the input of a track, basically filtering out MIDI data coming from all other MIDI In ports.

Mac Pro users certainly will be very happy with their 50k machines rendered useless.

The machines are not rendered useless. Neither software updates not hardware updates affect how a user's current system works. Most professionals I know work with older machines and older software versions without any concern for what new hardware or software comes out. You are not forced to upgrade anything.

My guess is, what happens in the environment remains unaffected, you just get to select a specific MIDI Port as the input of a track, basically filtering out MIDI data coming from all other MIDI In ports.

Thanks - let me know if you get a chance to have a look in a bit more detail.

I'm wondering if there is still a possibility to add environment objects before the sequencer if you have a track set to a specific port, and if so, how that would work. Anyway, it's early days, and as I can't look myself, I'd be interested to hear more about how they've implemented this longlonglong-time feature request and how it works...

Wow. Shocker here for me. Somehow this happened automatically in the middle of the night on my M1 Macbook. I gotta uncheck some auto update option somewhere. Fired up Logic this morning and assumed that something was wrong with a preferences file when I was hit with the very light background colors in the splash screens. OK. Hopefully, everything is stable. Time to instantiate a lot of 3rd party AUs to check. Edited by 88keys

The function for switching the mixer meters between linear and exponential seems to be removed in Logic 10.7 :(

Yes, it's gone here too. :?

So what is the Scale now set to - 'Sectional dB-Linear' or 'Exponential'? I cannot use 10.7 since I use Catalina.

Crossing my fingers it is 'Sectional dB-Linear' :roll: