Logic Pro 10.7 Released

David Nahmani

Separate MIDI input and output ports in the track inspector!

Convert regions to pattern regions!

Wow, those are HUGE! :D

Track Inspector.png

Even the MIDI In Channel and MIDI Out Channel, now clearly labeled. No more guessing. :D

On a software instrument track for MIDI In Port I now have this option...

673920274_TracksProperties.png.37a810caf98653609e835306ba81cfc4.png

What is that?

I don't see that in Clicks&Ports in The Environment.

Am i the only one but the new GUI has problems with contrast? It looks very washed out and pale. I run it on M1 MacBook and also compared it with Bitwig Studio where everything looks very vivid and juicy.

Maybe its the problem with all that shades of grey being very similar in different neighbour elements?

For example check the contrast with 10.6

p6piL3a.png

Edited by Eon

“Automation is now reliably chased and displayed in the track header control when playback is started at any point in a project.”

REALLY? Anyone else used to making 2 or 3 slightly different value nodes in front of any choruses, verses or first automation in the project to make Logic “catch up”? :) Not a deal-breaker, but not having to do it would be awesome.

Am i the only one but the new GUI has problems with contrast? It looks very washed out and pale. I run it on M1 MacBook and also compared it with Bitwig Studio where everything looks very vivid and juicy.

Maybe its the problem with all that shades of grey being very similar in different neighbour elements?

For example check the contrast with 10.6

p6piL3a.png

Commenting my own question, i have a feeling that new GUI is highly optimized for new liquid retina displays on new M1 Macbook Pros with high contrast ratio.

Am i the only one but the new GUI has problems with contrast? It looks very washed out and pale.

Weird. To me, 10.7 has more contrast and is more strikingly flashy and bold, almost too much, compared to 10.6 which was more subdued and calming to the eyes.

Weird, indeed...

Am i the only one but the new GUI has problems with contrast? It looks very washed out and pale.

Weird. To me, 10.7 has more contrast and is more strikingly flashy and bold, almost too much, compared to 10.6 which was more subdued and calming to the eyes.

i'd agree with this (& am getting used to it). on my intel imac, 10.7 looks sharper than 10.6 (am running at a higher resolution, 4096 x 2304).

Weird, indeed...

I mean, even on your screenshot, the one you just posted. 10.7 looks much sharper, 10.6 more... "grayed out".

Maybe something happened with my display calibration/color profile...cause i see exact opposite. 10.7 is darker but less contrast.

Ok, i don't know how its possible but when i deleted Logic (with pref files) and reinstall again, the gamma has changed, and now i see that 10.7 is indeed more vivid lol...Maybe something happened during update...Thanks guys to point me that something was weird.

Can anyone confirm this changed behaviour:

Logic 10.6.3: Option-dragging a marquee selected part of a region would copy that part and leave the original region intact.

Logic 10.7.0: Option-dragging a marquee selected part of a region copies that part and cut the original region.

Seems to be a bug, or is it a new setting in the preferences somewhere?

10.7.0-2.thumb.png.be883d07cb80a735023136049f499752.png

10.7.0-1.thumb.png.5f97673234c1272625131a9b5ed35953.png

10.6.3-2.thumb.png.b4df210544523a69584828d376e8df0c.png

10.6.3-1.thumb.png.2d389f32b5b42bf101adae40dd908f04.png

Can anyone confirm this changed behaviour:

Logic 10.6.3: Option-dragging a marquee selected part of a region would copy that part and leave the original region intact.

Logic 10.7.0: Option-dragging a marquee selected part of a region copies that part and cut the original region.

Seems to be a bug, or is it a new setting in the preferences somewhere?

Confirmed. It's a bug, we've mentioned it earlier somewhere in this forum. Apple is aware of it.

“Automation is now reliably chased and displayed in the track header control when playback is started at any point in a project.”

REALLY? Anyone else used to making 2 or 3 slightly different value nodes in front of any choruses, verses or first automation in the project to make Logic “catch up”? :) Not a deal-breaker, but not having to do it would be awesome.

Oh my. If this is finally fixed, I can finally stop complaining. It was really the most problematic bug. It’s not fun to have to re-render stem files / mixes only because one or more automated parameter were stuck just because you listened to a chorus earlier. The amount of hours I’ve pulled my hair over automation bugs is insane.

Anyone running into this?

I started a project earlier in the new 10.7 and, as usual, I forgot to set the project key signature and left it at the default: C Major

Upon realizing that I forgot to set it to D Major, I went to the control bar and set it to D Major - every midi note then moved up one whole step in my project

This must be new as Logic has never done this previously - is there a way to turn this option off?

Anybody created a new template and tried to set it in Prefs so that template will open on Logic launch? I saved my new template the usual way and, first, the template window opens behind the Prefs window and, second, I couldn't find my new template at first as the name I gave it wasn't complete in the shown templates. Fortunately, I changed it a bit this time and I could make it out by the picture shown. I named my template "Project 10.7" but it was named Project 10. In fact, I think that in all my templates, there's something missing as soon as there's a dot. I had 2 "Project 10.6" but their name is really .2 and .3. Anyway, I wonder if it's a small bug. Thanks.

Really keen to see what this preference does - Can someone please check it out and let us know how granular this setting is?

From the Logic 10.7 list....

"There is a new preference setting to adjust Logic's light/dark appearance independently of the system setting"

Not very granular. They go over it in this video

Backwards compatiblity: I was wondering this because I have to keep some systems on Mojave, so I tested it, could be useful for others to know:

If you save a project with 10.7, it opens seemingly okay with 10.6.3 but with a warning alert upon loading that "this project was created by a newer Logic Pro, this may cause problems, please update Logic Pro".

For this test I did not do anything except open the project and hit save on a system with Big Sur / 10.7, then opened the same project on a system with Mojave / 10.6.3. I don't know what happens if you work with new features and save the project.

just found the answer on youtube - YES and NO - you can put plugins in the master but the Dolby Renderer will not process them. Objects are rendered directly to the bed.

That's true only in specific situations, namely if using the 3D Object panner and inserting the plug-ins before the Dolby Atmos plugin.

So:

1. When using the Surround Panner, ALL plug-ins on the Master channel strip, before or after the Dolby Atmos plugin, affect the signal.

2. When using the 3D Object Panner, the signal is routed directly to the Dolby Atmos plugin which means only plugins inserted after the Dolby Atmos plugin affect the signal.