Exporting MIDI Environment setup?

Zephar77

I have everything working on my older iMac LogicPro 10.4, but no matter how I setup MIDI environment it doesn’t work on my newer iMac and

LogicPro 10.6. I had to start from scratch on the newer version and redo port and click, and MIDI instruments, because LogicPro quit whenever I selected a midi track or something in the sound library. After two weeks finally fixed these issues, but I cannot get a working template as I had previously. There are some changes, from when I originally set it up and working fine since 2012. I’m looking somewhere to export the MIDI Environment settings, or where the settings are stored on my older iMac logic pro 10.4 and see if I can import them into logic pro 10.6, or copy the settings and transfer them over to the newer version.

Can anyone advise me how I might do this, if possible?

Best,

Seth

David,

Explains why I couldn’t find what I was looking for. That makes perfect sense from my experience, and would not have thought of that. I really should get your book, as your responses are succinct and easy to follow, and suspect reflects what you have in your book.

The sound from the library chosen for three tracks in the old template are from EXS24, and suspect that might be what was causing the trouble in the quitting LogicPro. I shall select a sound patch that I know exists in both.

Is it necessary to first set up the same tracks in 10.6 before doing this? And when selecting “Options in MIDI environment”, select the last option under “Import environment”, “Total Replace”? I’ll fiddle around with this, using copies and see if I can figure out which one to select. V. Good!

Thanks so much for responding. The spirit lives on. :-)

Seth

The question, save as folders or as a Project. Seems folks like folders, but in this case Project makes more sense to share Contents on my other iMac logic pro 10.6 to import MIDI environment, yes? Then more choices, what does select on the long list, everything except movies? Dang, there’s no end of this deal. Just want a simple working template. To do anything you need to know how the entire app works.

Seth

Hi Seth,

The question, save as folders or as a Project. Seems folks like folders, but in this case Project makes more sense to share Contents on my other iMac logic pro 10.6 to import MIDI environment, yes?

I like to save as folders, always. For the sake of importing environments, it does not make a difference.

Then more choices, what does select on the long list, everything except movies? Dang, there’s no end of this deal. Just want a simple working template. To do anything you need to know how the entire app works.

Seth

You select the file types you want saved inside the project's package or folder. For simple projects all you need is to select "Audio Files" and not worry about anything else there.

YEAH!

Finally, everything working!

Did the importing of MIDI environment, but got mixed results. However, fixing the sound library and a few other problems, which were resolved, it occurred to me that after updating my logic files from previous Logic Pro X versions to 10.4.4, saved a LogicPro project as a package, and copied over via local network ethernet connections to the newer iMac running Big Sur, and LogicPro 10.6, everything opened up, and without doing anything, worked perfectly, showing exactly as it had these past years! 10.6 switched the ESX24 sounds to sampler, but maintained the same patch name, Ballard Bass, automatically, as I forgot to change the instrument setting to null.

I was actually shocked, expecting the same immediate program quits when selecting a MIDI instrument in tracks. The MIDI environment displayed exactly as before with all the cabling etc., as you mentioned a package “save as” would do.

Many thanks for your help and those of a few others here over the past few weeks. Been quite the adventure. However, learned much about the structure of LogicPro unaware of previously. Seth

P.S. Couple shots of the exact same set up on both iMac’s, both working.

99A94213-25F6-463B-9E2A-26060D4A01BE.thumb.jpeg.cceb3ec65170b39f079c7875fb41f37a.jpeg

F2C247C6-389F-477F-92FA-54AEE0414C27.thumb.jpeg.ebbd7ecf6ecea5368c26c4f298711a03.jpeg

568BFE43-7813-4663-9754-20D3E0B43BAA.thumb.jpeg.17e879c1f4304a9655f5efd89d493257.jpeg

Question: Notice the third CS from the left is the mono input for the Godin acoustic bridge pickup, showing as a Surround Panner, as it always has previously. The same project in 10.4.4 displayed as a surround balancer, which I have not seen or dealt with previously; but, opening in LogicPro 10.6.3 it displays as a Surround Panner; however, when I turned off the compressor, and switched to Chorus, it changed to a surround balancer. Switching back to the original settings it stayed as balancer. Not sure what’s going on here. The balancer is just a dot that you move around, and doesn’t have the same sound effect as the Panner. I have not seen the balancer before. I’ve read what I could find and that mono inputs will show as a balancer and stereo as Panner. But I’ve never seen a balancer until today. The same CS has always shown the Panner.

Is there a way I can retrieve the Panner, and why it switched to balancer?

Seth

Must’ve done some website maintenance last night as I only got a blank white screen until this morning. Trying to post my success, finally! YEAH!

However, every time I try to post a reply, even though I’m logged in, it requires me to login again; and, lose everything that I had in the reply, and have to start over again. Is there is some thing we need to know about before posting a reply so this doesn’t happen?

Seth

Must’ve done some website maintenance last night as I only got a blank white screen until this morning. Trying to post my success, finally! YEAH!

However, every time I try to post a reply, even though I’m logged in, it requires me to login again; and, lose everything that I had in the reply, and have to start over again. Is there is some thing we need to know about before posting a reply so this doesn’t happen?

Seth

There was a server misconfiguration which resulted in the forum being down for about 8 or 9 hours unfortunately. That was resolved earlier this morning.

Try to clear your logicprohelp cookies from your browser to see if that helps with your issue having to log in every time you post?

Having to login after composing a reply, and losing the reply, only happening on my iPad 5 Mini, iOS 15.

The website data for LogicProHelp is 49.6 MB!

Why would this be so much? Does not sound right... Delete?

Any ideas on the Surround Panner vs Balancer; and, how I might retrieve the Panner? There must some settings that control this. One thing that has happened -

Lost all my I/O labels and I/O input assignments. It defaults to a Surround setup for inputs, so, changed to input 1/2 only; although have 2 Stereo Mics and ocassionally using all 4 inputs. Trying to remember how this was setup, but so long ago. Perhaps this has something to do with it? From the ScreenShots able to see on the older iMac LogicPro 10.4.4 shows only Surround Panners for mono inputs; and, same initially opening in 10.6.3, but when make any FX changes, I get the DOT Balancer, which sounds much different. Suspect that the old post from years ago you stated to look in ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/IOLabels Core Audio no longer is valid? Did a Find Any File search and no file found. All stored as MIDI Environment, yes? Will redo the I/O labels, not a problem, more time... But, to understand the Balancer vs Panner and how to control this would be a large Help. Seth

657060553_LogicProHelpwebsitedataiOSSafari.thumb.PNG.40dfd544422f9b6a6dcdbcfd1417ef89.PNG

1245846248_SurroundPanner.thumb.png.29b1450cd95912f75295cc7cd935c21c.png