What does "New Track with next instrument/channel strip" do?

VinnieDePooh

If you go to Track -> Other, then you will see "New Track with next instrument (in case you're having an instrument track selected) or channel strip (in case of a selected audio track). My question is, what does this exactly do? If I use this on a multi-timbre instrument track, then this would turn into "New Track with next MIDI Channel" which is pretty self-explanatory. But if I select this while having a normal instrument or audio track selected, then I would simple get an entirely new audio/instrument track created, just like how it would be if I was to select "New Software Instrument Track" or "New Audio Track". So how does this option differ from "New Software Instrument Track" or "New Audio Track" and what exactly does it do?

Thanks in advance for any help!

718143550_ScreenShot2021-10-25at23_08_392.thumb.png.a9ea3a63b3662137908c81c1baaabfa0.png

It creates a new track with a new track object on it, so you can add a new independent instrument.

Otherwise, if you use "New track for Same instrument", you will get a new arrange track, but assigned to the same track object (the current instrument) so you will have two tracks controlling the *same* instrument/channel strip.

The difference in Logic is that a "track" (horizontal track in the arrange/main window) has an "object" assigned to it that tells it what to be. In this case, you can have multiple tracks all using the same audio object (audio channel strip, software instrument etc), or you can have tracks with independent ones, which you'd need to different instruments. Logic is more flexible in this regard than other DAWs, but it can be confusing before you understand the underlying concepts.

Thanks for your reply! However, I still don't understand what exactly the difference is between "New Track with Next Instrument/Channel Strip" and "New Software Instrument/Audio Track" because I would always get a brand new empty instrument/audio if I select "New Track with Next Instrument/Channel Strip" which is exactly what I would get by doing "New Track with Next Instrument/Channel Strip". Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks for your reply! However, I still don't understand what exactly the difference is between "New Track with Next Instrument/Channel Strip" and "New Software Instrument/Audio Track" because I would always get a brand new empty instrument/audio if I select "New Track with Next Instrument/Channel Strip" which is exactly what I would get by doing "New Track with Next Instrument/Channel Strip". Is there anything I am missing?

When you see this Other menu...

Non-MultiTimbral.png.a93d9a993934a23700142189f170d70d.png

It's because you currently have a Non-Multitimbral instrument selected.

New Track With Duplicate Settings - Creates a new track with the same instrument/effects as the currently selected track.

New Track with Next Instrument - Creates a blank track but of the type of the selected track, which should be one of the following

TrackTypes.png.d24cdc3e544177485338fbfb1d545369.png

New Track with Same Instrument - Creates a new track but for the same instrumennt.

You're probably wondering why you have this last option.

An example would be a non-multitimbral drum instrument. You can now have multiple tracks but for each track, you can split the drum pieces.

Group snares on one track, group cymbals on one track, etc...

When you see this Other menu...

MultiTimbral.png.fa98a067419115c5b87345fe6b1a99dc.png

It's because you currently have a Multitimbral instrument selected.

New Track With Duplicate Settings - Creates a new multitimbral track with the same instrument/effects as the currently selected track.

New Track With Next MIDI Channel - Creates a new track with the next available MIDI Channel for the currently selected multitimbral.

New Track With Same MIDI Channel - Creates a new track with the same MIDI Channel for the currently selected multitimbral.

Again, thanks a lot for your time! Unfortunately, that also did not exactly answer my question :< I will try to describe the situation more clearly this time

Just to be specific, I am talking about the case where I'm having a Non-Multitimbral instrument track (or a normal audio track) selected. Out of the 3 options you pointed out...

1. Track With Duplicate Settings

2. New Track with Next Instrument (or in case of an audio track being selected, New Track with Next Channel)

3. New Track with Same Instrument

...1 and 3 totally make sense for me because they do what they should do. 2 is the one that confuses me. If I select the 2. option while having a non-multitimbral instrument (no matter empty or containing plugins and no matter being a software instrument or drummer track) or a normal audio track selected, what I would always get is always either a brand new empty software instrument track or audio track. That totally confuses me because what is the point of that? The result is the exact same like when you do "New Software Instrument Track" or "New Audio Track" (by clicking the plus icon above the track areas or when you go to the Menu Track => "New Software Instrument Track" or "New Audio Track".

What is then the point of the 2. option's existence because there is literally no difference between that and the normal "create new instrument/audio track" command?

(P/s: I know this is a minor thing but not understanding sth that could be useful just bugs me out a lot :<)

That totally confuses me because what is the point of that?

If you didn't have that option, then for every track creation, you'd have to do the following, EVERYTIME...

NewTrack.png.06267fc90d0cf1805c8894cdd998a5c1.png

ChooseTrack.png.ccc24e522d2544b79297c63415041099.png

With the Other menus, even though they're a way to short cut those first two steps I showed above, you're going to use the shortcut keys instead.

Which bypasses the mouse click.

ShortcutKeys.png.b7c44e936de6ba7564df9e803e607eab.png

While a track is selected (RED), double click anywhere in the GREEN area. What did it do? :mrgreen:

EmptyArea.png.115ff41a23a3239de3d76b33915edc6e.png

VinnieDePooh said:
I am talking about the case where I'm having a Non-Multitimbral instrument track (or a normal audio track) selected. Out of the 3 options you pointed out...

I think that the whole point of that command (and accompanying key command) is for when you're working with a multi-timbral instrument or external MIDI track.

Now when you're not working with multi-timbral instruments or external MIDI instruments, then rather than do nothing, the same key command creates a new track of the same type as whatever is currently selected. This allows you to have one key command perform two different actions depending on your situation.

Conceptually, it's like having the spacebar (Play or Stop) start playback when the project is stopped (same behavior as the "Play" key command), and stop playback when the project is playing (same behavior as the "Stop" key command), which allows you to have one key command perform two different actions depending on the situation.

• 2 years later...

There is a difference in these commands when using track stacks.

Selecting a track inside a track stack and using ⌥⌘A or ⌥⌘S will create a new audio or instrument track outside the track stack.

Selecting a track inside a track stack and using ⌃↩ will create a new track of the same type inside the track stack, which I find very useful.

• Like 2