A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

 
aviorrok
Topic Author
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:12 am

M1 Pro or MAX?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:33 am

Hi,
I'm still not decided what is the best MacBook pro for me I need 2TB but I don't know if need 16 or 32 RAM and PRO or MAX M1?
Most of my projects are on 48Khz and reach 100-230 tracks most of them omnisphere, serum and apple library & loops
I also use Photoshop and after effect but is not my main use.
What is the best for me?
 
alexe
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:23 am

I can't say what's better for you, but my reason to go with the M1 Max was the doubled memory bandwidth over the M1 Pro. No idea what difference this is going to make, but since the machines are not upgradable, I wanted to be on the safe side. Maybe it makes no difference at all and is just a waste of money.

Some Youtube reviewer tried out the high-power mode that's only available on the M1 Max to export a 4K video and observed that high-power mode yielded a negligible performance boost for that particular task, so it might be that high-power mode is also not a strong reason to go for the M1 Max.

Regarding the amount of unified memory, if you currently have 16 GB of memory, you could observe the memory pressure chart in the Activity Monitor while you've been working for a while with your usual workflow and see what it looks like. If it's mostly green, 16 GB is likely sufficient for you. If it's mostly yellow or even red, you might benefit from going for 32 GB. Also note that this is unified memory, not regular RAM, i.e. it is shared between your CPU and GPU cores, so it needs to be enough for both. This usually won't matter too much if you don't do GPU-heavy stuff.
 
Nola111
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am
Location: New Orleans

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:36 am

I would concur almost completely with what alexe says - I am also someone who bought the Max, but not because I need the power right now - I wanted to future proof myself for awhile. These things have only been out for two days now, but everything I'm reading is that the Max really shines if you do intensive video and/or 3D graphics work.

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction but would definitely love to help anyone here save a few bucks - based on your explanation of your sessions, and what I've read so far and the video reviews I've seen, I would be more than willing to bet that the M1 Pro with 32GB of RAM is going to take care of you really nicely. And again, if you're only doing audio, I don't think you'd need anything more than the smallest GPU count of 16 cores.

Take that with as many grains of salt as you will. Aside from that, I can tell you that these new Macs are simply outstanding in every way. Also remember, you have 14 days for returns with Apple products. Maybe grab an M1 Pro, install Logic and your VI's, fire up your most intensive session, and run some benchmarks? Then if you're thinking it's pushing just a little too close to the ceiling for your expansion comfort, return it go with the Max. I know that's not ideal given the hassle of a possible exchange, but could end up saving you over $1k in the end.
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max
macOS 12.0.1
SSL 2+
Logic Pro X 10.7
 
aviorrok
Topic Author
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:12 am

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:15 am

Nola111 wrote:
I would concur almost completely with what alexe says - I am also someone who bought the Max, but not because I need the power right now - I wanted to future proof myself for awhile. These things have only been out for two days now, but everything I'm reading is that the Max really shines if you do intensive video and/or 3D graphics work.

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction but would definitely love to help anyone here save a few bucks - based on your explanation of your sessions, and what I've read so far and the video reviews I've seen, I would be more than willing to bet that the M1 Pro with 32GB of RAM is going to take care of you really nicely. And again, if you're only doing audio, I don't think you'd need anything more than the smallest GPU count of 16 cores.

Take that with as many grains of salt as you will. Aside from that, I can tell you that these new Macs are simply outstanding in every way. Also remember, you have 14 days for returns with Apple products. Maybe grab an M1 Pro, install Logic and your VI's, fire up your most intensive session, and run some benchmarks? Then if you're thinking it's pushing just a little too close to the ceiling for your expansion comfort, return it go with the Max. I know that's not ideal given the hassle of a possible exchange, but could end up saving you over $1k in the end.

I think we still need to waiting for YouTube compression between pro and max to see if the max is game changer or just a apple way to make more money, in my opinion is a way to make money and everyone can use pro and get the same performance +- but will know the truth soon
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 6615
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: new york
Contact:

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:34 am

aviorrok wrote:
I think we still need to waiting for YouTube compression between pro and max to see if the max is game changer or just a apple way to make more money, in my opinion is a way to make money and everyone can use pro and get the same performance +- but will know the truth soon


huh? you mean, the specs for the M1max are..fake? just a'marketing scheme'?? not sure what your point is.

people are running logic on the original M1 chip, and raving about it on the forum. the pro will be better, & the max even better. specifications matter.

your opinion is your right, but it doesn't alter actual facts...
LP10.7.1 • os12.1b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
des99
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:04 am

The M1 Max will likely draw more power under load, and has significant extra GPU performance for those people doing 3D rendering, simulations, game development, photogrammetry and so on.

If you're not doing those things, GPU's are only important for you to drive the screen/s and more conventional visualisations and graphics processing, which there is ample GPU power for in the M1 Pro.

The real world affects of the increased memory bandwidth are unknown at this stage - it might only be relevant when running the full 64GB for instance. Whether that's worth the price increases is difficult to determine currently. Really, for me, it comes down to how much you want 64GB of RAM, in which case the choice is obvious.

I don't think otherwise the Max is worth the extra price for the extra functionality you get for DAW use for people who aren't doing heavy graphics work.

For me, I *do* do some graphics work, but the smaller M1 Pro chip, which should draw less power and heat, is more attractive to me, and that's what I will be going for.

TL;DR; If you're the kind of person that when buying a computer finds speccing up the graphic cards every bit as vital and important as the CPU/RAM/storage specs, and this will be your main machine, you probably want the M1 Max. Otherwise, the M1 Pro will be pretty awesome, and will allow you to spend the excess budget elsewhere (RAM, storage etc).

(All IMO, of course.)
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio | Legacy Logic Project Conversion
 
aviorrok
Topic Author
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:12 am

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:19 am

fisherking wrote:
aviorrok wrote:
I think we still need to waiting for YouTube compression between pro and max to see if the max is game changer or just a apple way to make more money, in my opinion is a way to make money and everyone can use pro and get the same performance +- but will know the truth soon


huh? you mean, the specs for the M1max are..fake? just a'marketing scheme'?? not sure what your point is.

people are running logic on the original M1 chip, and raving about it on the forum. the pro will be better, & the max even better. specifications matter.

your opinion is your right, but it doesn't alter actual facts...

No, the specs is real and MAX > Pro but I mean how big is the difference in the real world?
 
User avatar
des99
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:23 am

aviorrok wrote:
I mean how big is the difference in the real world?


It is unclear at this time. You'll need to be patient and wait for more data as people work with these machines for more than just a day or two.

Edit: AnandTech says the processor alone is not able to use the full memory bandwidth, so for CPU-bound tasks, the increased memory bandwidth won't give much advantage. Therefore, it's not really a factor for DAW use.

If it helps, someone's benchmarked an M1 Pro and M1 Max with same specs (1TB, 32GB) running the GS Logic benchmark session and they both resulted in exactly the same performance (155 tracks) which is what I would expect.

Those GPU cores don't help in processing audio, and even if the memory bandwidth is higher, there are other factors that can mitigate this and as I said above, benefits of this memory bandwidth are fuzzy at this point in real world use for your typical applications.
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio | Legacy Logic Project Conversion
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 6615
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: new york
Contact:

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:43 am

aviorrok wrote:
fisherking wrote:

huh? you mean, the specs for the M1max are..fake? just a'marketing scheme'?? not sure what your point is.

people are running logic on the original M1 chip, and raving about it on the forum. the pro will be better, & the max even better. specifications matter.

your opinion is your right, but it doesn't alter actual facts...

No, the specs is real and MAX > Pro but I mean how big is the difference in the real world?


as always is the case, people who want higher spec'd machines, will go for... the higher spec'd machine. meanwhile, you can google it right now; there are comparisions on youtube, etc...
LP10.7.1 • os12.1b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
Mania
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:15 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:50 pm

Youtuber Max Tech reviewed the M1 PRO and the M1 MAX with Logic benchmarks. Look it up. By the way the new processors have the same single core performance as the original M1 which is important for Logic. If you use a ton of third party heavy plugins, the M1 Max of course give you more. The original M1 is still a beast though.
Jim

MacBook Air M1 16 GB RAM. latest Logic and macOS version.
Focusrite 2i2.
My latest collaboration over the internet in Logic:
https://youtu.be/QoeZp1b2xe0

Recorded/mastered in Logic with only Logic native plugs: https://youtu.be/s6UOXRPEoB4
 
asif123
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:56 am

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:08 am

aviorrok wrote:
Hi,
I'm still not decided what is the best MacBook pro for me I need 2TB but I don't know if need 16 or 32 RAM and PRO or MAX M1?
Most of my projects are on 48Khz and reach 100-230 tracks most of them omnisphere, serum and apple library & loops
I also use Photoshop and after effect but is not my main use.
What is the best for me?


Hi Aviorrok,
considering the fact most of your projects are up to 230 tracks and 48khz I wouldn't suggest buying the MacBook Pro, for this kind of work MacBook Air M1 with 8GB will be more than enough.
its not like the MacBook Pro won't be able to deliver better results, but the difference will be very insignificant and above all that I thing the option for you will be HP X360 with dual boot running Windows and Hacked Mac OS.

Best regards,
Asif Monterey
 
Thorny
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:47 am

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:49 am

I bought the M1 Pro and decided to spend the $400 on the 10-core processor and 1TB SSD. I went with 16 gigs of memory hoping that will keep me for a while, thanks to the new memory management. We will see. I have been using the Audio Modelling instruments on my 2015 Macbook with an I5 and 16 gigs of memory and it was very problematic. I could use it on as many as 8 instruments at a time if I was very careful about only running Logic, closing everything else, and rebooting often. The error messages always seem to relate to processor problems, never memory.

When I got my new Macbook, I loaded Logic 10.7, all of the SWAM instruments, and the two Izotope Elements plugins that I use, Neutron 3 and Ozone 9. When I opened a project using 5 SWAM instruments and the Izotope stuff using Rosetta 2, everything works just fine. I have picked up my normal workflow on the piece I was working on with the old machine and leaving email, a browser and other apps running simultaneously, without issue.

I have not tried to stress the system to test it or anything, but it is very snappy and smooth using Rosetta. I think that the audio is noticeably better, too. I mostly posted this so anyone else struggling with SWAM instruments on an older machine would know that there is a good chance they will work for them on the new machines. Neither AudioModelling nor Izotope are claiming to have tested under Monterey or on the M1 pro yet, but AM says they will have their stuff native on Apple Silicon by the end of the year and Izotope plans to as well.
Logic Pro 10.7
Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Pro 10 Core 1TB
OSX 12.0.1
AudioModeling SWAM Solo Instruments
 
Nola111
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am
Location: New Orleans

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:45 am

So if I had to summarize this thread and answer the question posed in the title (assuming you only want to spend what you need to):

Logic/Audio processing is your main requirement: M1 Pro.

Light to Medium Graphics and Video work too, now or highly possible in the future? Most likely still M1 Pro.

Heavy Graphics and Video work too, now or highly possible in the future? M1 Max.

Which translates to me having spent too much money. Guess I need to make a big decision here within the next 10 days. I would downgrade to an M1 Pro almost assuredly if it didn't mean I needed to wait 1-2 months.
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max
macOS 12.0.1
SSL 2+
Logic Pro X 10.7
 
User avatar
spiritguitar
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:33 am
Contact:

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:43 pm

A request to those running 16GB of RAM in their new MacBook Pro -- can you please report how your machine is performing with Logic Pro RAM-wise? So far in this thread Thorny reports he's had no problem with his M1 Pro 16GB.

Like the OP I'm trying to decide which MBP to purhase. I originally pre-ordered the M1 Max but it wouldn't ship until late November, so I cancelled the order. After checking out several reviews I'm thinking the M1 Pro with 16 core GPU will do the job. I can pick up an M1 Pro 16/16/1TB locally but I'm not sure if 16GB of RAM is enough. (I'd go with 32GB but that puts me into a Dec. shipping date)

So the question is -- assuming the M1 Pro is good enough GPU-wise -- will 16GB of RAM do the job? Thanks if you can chime in!
 
aviorrok
Topic Author
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:12 am

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:57 pm

spiritguitar wrote:
A request to those running 16GB of RAM in their new MacBook Pro -- can you please report how your machine is performing with Logic Pro RAM-wise? So far in this thread Thorny reports he's had no problem with his M1 Pro 16GB.

Like the OP I'm trying to decide which MBP to purhase. I originally pre-ordered the M1 Max but it wouldn't ship until late November, so I cancelled the order. After checking out several reviews I'm thinking the M1 Pro with 16 core GPU will do the job. I can pick up an M1 Pro 16/16/1TB locally but I'm not sure if 16GB of RAM is enough. (I'd go with 32GB but that puts me into a Dec. shipping date)

So the question is -- assuming the M1 Pro is good enough GPU-wise -- will 16GB of RAM do the job? Thanks if you can chime in!

[youtube] https://youtu.be/gqiYSt4nAFs[/youtube]
 
User avatar
spiritguitar
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:33 am
Contact:

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:50 pm

Thanks aviorrok -- xlnt video. Of course he wasn't listening to Logic audio playback continuously, so no way to know if there might have been audio glitches -- but with the impressive RAM performance in his testing it looks promising. 16GB would probably be enough. Cheers!
 
User avatar
des99
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:15 pm

At this stage, I think I'd spend that extra $400 on a 2TB SSD, rather than 32GB of RAM, if I couldn't have both...
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio | Legacy Logic Project Conversion
 
User avatar
spiritguitar
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:33 am
Contact:

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:30 pm

I hear ya des99. It would be nice to have 2 TB of fast SSD. Early on I was considering a 16” M1 Max 32/32/2TB @$3899+tax!

But if an M1 Pro w/16GB of RAM works out I’m inclined to go low budget with 1TB and avoid that extra $400 altogether. 8-)
 
User avatar
fisherking
Posts: 6615
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 5:51 am
Location: new york
Contact:

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:01 pm

spiritguitar wrote:
I hear ya des99. It would be nice to have 2 TB of fast SSD. Early on I was considering a 16” M1 Max 32/32/2TB @$3899+tax!

But if an M1 Pro w/16GB of RAM works out I’m inclined to go low budget with 1TB and avoid that extra $400 altogether. 8-)


what i'll probably do. and easy enough to 'archive' older or inactive work on an external drive...
LP10.7.1 • os12.1b • 2019 3.2 i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection
http://upstatebrooklyn.com
 
User avatar
spiritguitar
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:33 am
Contact:

Re: M1 Pro or MAX?

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:20 pm

fisherking wrote:

what i'll probably do. and easy enough to 'archive' older or inactive work on an external drive...


That's what I was thinking.