Is there a way to stop recording without stopping playback? [SOLVED]

aggenver
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

It seems I can enable recording on a track midway while I playback, but once recording is enabled I can't seem to be able to stop recording without pushing the stop button on the playhead. I am trying to set up logic for some live action but this one seems to be killing it for me. Seems pretty basic though and I would be surprised if that is not possible. Any ideas?

Thanks

What if you click the Play button?

Thanks a lot David, that works nicely when clicking the play button.

I was trying the same thing using a Nektar LX+ midi controller that is equipped with playhead buttons and ckicking the play button on the controller was just stopping playback. While recording it seems to act like a stop button. When not recording it acts normally as a play button.

This controller seemed great for Logic and it was the very reason I started considering live jamming with it. This controller makes all basic functions available without needing to touch the mouse. It seems, however, not everything is mapped as it should. Any idea if there is a workaround for this?

Would punch recording work for your case? It requires a bit of foresight as to planning when you want to start and stop recording (as opposed to doing it in a live improvised manner), but if you know in advance exactly when you'd like to record then punch in/out would make the most sense.

as the button was already mapped to the play button.

If I understand you correctly, and you mean that the Play button on your Nektar is already mapped to the Play button in Logic's control bar, then you should be able to press that Play button during recording to stop recording without stopping playback.

But indeed, Jakob's solution works if you'd rather use the Record button to perform the same action.

as the button was already mapped to the play button.

If I understand you correctly, and you mean that the Play button on your Nektar is already mapped to the Play button in Logic's control bar, then you should be able to press that Play button during recording to stop recording without stopping playback.

But indeed, Jakob's solution works if you'd rather use the Record button to perform the same action.

reading back my post I could have certainly made that more clear, sorry about that.

I mapped the play button of my Nektar to the play button of Logic using the Learn New Assignment suggestion. After that, when I was pressing the Nektar's play button while recording the recording button was disabled but the playhead would jump back to the beginning of the loop instead of just continuing playback. It would jump back and continue playback from there.

[i mapped the play button of my Nektar to the play button of Logic using the Learn New Assignment suggestion. After that, when I was pressing the Nektar's play button while recording the recording button was disabled but the playhead would jump back to the beginning of the loop instead of just continuing playback. It would jump back and continue playback from there.

If you click the little down arrow at the bottom right of your Play button in Logic's control bar, make sure Play from Last Locate Position is not selected?