Can you use two instances of Flex on one Vocal Track? [SOLVED]

Tallmaleuk
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

You'd have to do one instance, bounce in place and then the other.

Flex pitch only has one option and the quality depends very much on the material it's working on.

Flex time probably a case of trying a few options depending again on the material - you can swap them out to see which works best.

I find it's fine for pitch correction unless you're trying to pitch to extremes - general tuning up sounds fine even when the vocal is quite exposed.

Also which option would be best in Flex to quantize the vocals?

Most of the time, Logic chooses the best Flex Time option on its own automatically. Otherwise usually for vocals it should be "Monophonic".

And will it still sound natural?

It all depends on the timbre of the vocals, the way they're sung, the recording, if the transients are detected (or corrected to be) in the right positions, and what kind of edits you perform. The general idea is to do what needs to be done and listen: if it sounds natural, move on, if it does not, find another way to do it, or try another algo, or ask us here how to perform that specific edit that you can't make sound good, etc.

For example I've had in the past to cut up small regions of vocals that were more noises than sung pitches and turn Flex off for only those regions in order to avoid weird artifacts.

Also which option would be best in Flex to quantize the vocals?

Most of the time, Logic chooses the best Flex Time option on its own automatically. Otherwise usually for vocals it should be "Monophonic".

And will it still sound natural?

It all depends on the timbre of the vocals, the way they're sung, the recording, if the transients are detected (or corrected to be) in the right positions, and what kind of edits you perform. The general idea is to do what needs to be done and listen: if it sounds natural, move on, if it does not, find another way to do it, or try another algo, or ask us here how to perform that specific edit that you can't make sound good, etc.

For example I've had in the past to cut up small regions of vocals that were more noises than sung pitches and turn Flex off for only those regions in order to avoid weird artifacts.

Thanks David thats sound advice. I will give it a try.

You'd have to do one instance, bounce in place and then the other.

Flex pitch only has one option and the quality depends very much on the material it's working on.

Flex time probably a case of trying a few options depending again on the material - you can swap them out to see which works best.

I find it's fine for pitch correction unless you're trying to pitch to extremes - general tuning up sounds fine even when the vocal is quite exposed.

Thanks fusbur

Just one more thing. Whenever I select Flex Pitch select the Key and the push the Pitch Correction Slider to 100% and save the project when I reopen it and check again the Pitch Correction Slider is set to Zero.

Does anyone know why this is happening? As its so fustrating!

Many thanks.

I am selecting 100%

What Christian said was that you need to select a note (the beam over the waveform) in order to see its %age of pitch correction on that pitch correction slider. So after you reopen the project, select a note that was set to 100%, the slider should show 100%?

Ok got it.