Looping regions to a specified length (locators, marquee selection, etc)

wing

I've been wondering if there is a way to create a loop from a region to span a specified length on my timeline (edit: specifically I mean with a keyboard shortcut)? So if I set locators from bar 9–14, could I tell it to simply fill the loop in that range? I've checked the keyboard shortcuts menu and google and I can't seem to find a way. You can hit L to toggle loop regions on/off, which will simply fill a loop to the end of your timeline which could be really long, then you have to scroll over and drag it back to your specific range. There's a "fill within locators" function but that extends a region within its audio file; it would be great if there's a way to take a region at its exact length and loop it within locators instead.

Or alternatively repeat regions within locators? Or is there a fast way to loop and then trim a loop to the playhead or locator or something? Thanks!

Edited by wing

Hi,

When you point the mouse to the right top half of a region you should see the loop option, it loops as long as you drag it.

Yep, sorry I wasn't clear or specific, I actually meant is there a keyboard shortcut so I don't have to use the mouse, sorta how "trim region to fill within locators" keyboard shortcut works.

No worries. I went ahead and figured out a way to set up a macro shortcut workaround using Keyboard Maestro. In case anyone is interested here are the macro steps:

First have a region ready at the length you wish to loop. Set your locators to the desired overall length you want your loop to play on the timeline. In Keyboard Maestro:

1. Loop selected region (L key)

2. Crop Regions outside locators

3. Turn off cycle mode (optional)

I've tested this with a single shortcut and it works great! The only time it doesn't work right is if the loop length is an odd amount like less than or longer than a bar.

This helps me work a little faster with the keyboard when I know exactly how long I want a region to loop (for example to loop exactly 8 bars for a chorus), rather than dragging here and there etc.

Here's a pro version if you're going through loop libraries in your file browser!

With your locator range already set, and your playhead at the starting position where you wish the loop to begin, and the file selected in the browser:

1. Press Button - 'Add'

2. Align start of region to playhead (snap to absolute must be on)

3. Time Stretch Region Length to Nearest Bar

4. Loop Selected Region

5. Crop Regions outside locators

The result is automatically adding a file to your track and having it loop to the section you know you want it to fill. There are a few caveats such as the file needs to be prepared at complete bar lengths in advance, but otherwise this works great!