Is there a way to use Logic's Electronic Drum Presets with just one Output? [SOLVED]

Tallmaleuk
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

Hi everyone,

Whenever I select one of Logic's Electronic Drum Presets it creates a track with multiple outputs (sub tracks) just like a Track Stack. And this is confusing when I am trying to mix the song. Is there a way to use Logic's Electronic Drum Presets so it has just one output/track? So that I can record one drum sound in real time?

And what would be the best way to remove the Track Stack effect when I use the Elecronic Drum Presets so I just have one track with what has been recorded?

Many thanks

Whenever I select one of Logic's Electronic Drum Presets it creates a track with multiple outputs (sub tracks) just like a Track Stack. And this is confusing when I am trying to mix the song. Is there a way to use Logic's Electronic Drum Presets so it has just one output/track?

If what you mean is that you would rather have one single channel strip for your entire drum kit, then the answer is no, that's not possible.

However the track stack does not have to be open. And effectively, when it's closed the track stack does behave exactly like a single channel strip for a single instrument, and you can control all the instruments inside the track stack from the DMD interface located on that main track of the track stack, which avoids having to open the track stack. Basically DMD was Apple's answer to creating a multi-out drum instrument with individual controls over every single voice from the DMD interface, while giving you the added flexibility of opening every individual voice on its own channel, should you for example want to process it with an effect plug-in.

Whenever I select one of Logic's Electronic Drum Presets it creates a track with multiple outputs (sub tracks) just like a Track Stack. And this is confusing when I am trying to mix the song. Is there a way to use Logic's Electronic Drum Presets so it has just one output/track?

If what you mean is that you would rather have one single channel strip for your entire drum kit, then the answer is no, that's not possible.

However the track stack does not have to be open. And effectively, when it's closed the track stack does behave exactly like a single channel strip for a single instrument, and you can control all the instruments inside the track stack from the DMD interface located on that main track of the track stack, which avoids having to open the track stack. Basically DMD was Apple's answer to creating a multi-out drum instrument with individual controls over every single voice from the DMD interface, while giving you the added flexibility of opening every individual voice on its own channel, should you for example want to process it with an effect plug-in.

Thanks David for your informative response. This is very helpful indeed.

Not sure exactly what you're asking, do you want only one of the kit pieces instead of the complete kit ? If so, from the Library, don't select a kit, but select only the kit piece you want to use ?

DMD Kit Piece.png

Thanks Jakob,

Yes I am looking to use just one kit piece. All the kit pieces being available when you select an Electronic Drum preset is a new thing? I use to just select an Electronic Drum kit and it would just have one track. But it makes perfect sense to have all the kit pieces available and is obviously an improvement. In this instance though I just want to use one.

Many thanks.

All the kit pieces being available when you select an Electronic Drum preset is a new thing?

No, Logic always behaved that way (just to make sure I just tried it in Logic Pro X 10.0.7 and it's the same behavior).

Ok thanks David. I havent used Logic for a while and so I am just getting up to speed with it again.

All the kit pieces being available when you select an Electronic Drum preset is a new thing?

No, Logic always behaved that way (just to make sure I just tried it in Logic Pro X 10.0.7 and it's the same behavior).

Say what ? I used 10.0.7 for years and I'm pretty sure DMD was introduced in 10.1 or 10.2 ? :)

EDIT 10.1 it seems...

311146716_DMDin10.1.thumb.png.84095b65854413d990ab3e0aae9a5420.png

Say what ? I used 10.0.7 for years and I'm pretty sure DMD was introduced in 10.1 or 10.2 ? :)

EDIT 10.1 it seems...

That's correct. In 10.0, electronic drum patches were made with Ultrabeat, but still they were presented the same way: in a track stack (that's the question I was answering). Then when DMD appeared it was just a new interface for the Ultrabeat drum kits from 10.0. Later Ultrabeat was replaced by Drum Synth (which is just a new interface for Ultrabeat's sound engine).