Logic Pro X max CPU with only 1 track, and it's random

rjsounds

Hi guys,

I recently upgraded to Logic Pro X and I'm really annoyed by the random CPU spikes I get. I just finished working on a song this afternoon with 20+ tracks with no problems. And now this evening, I was working on a new melody idea with ONLY the retro synth, and the audio is now distorting and stuttering due to the CPU being maxed when I play notes on my MIDI keyboard (M-audio axiom 61).

This has happened quite a few times. One day Logic X is fine, the other it has these crazy CPU spikes and I can't get any work done. Restarting the program makes no difference. It seems I have to either restart the computer or just wait until the next day... can anyone please help me? This is a killer on my workflow and I really need a solution.

What's even more odd is that in the activity monitor, I'm showing 86% idle, but apparently Logic X thinks otherwise.

Included are a couple of screenshots. Check my signature for my computer specs. I also have a 1TB hard drive with around 400GB free space left.

*Screenshot of Logic Pro X w/ activity monitor*

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2hhghw6.jpg (a little too big to embed on page, so just click to view)

This second image is showing my audio setup in Logic

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2v8k4e1.jpg

EDIT: I've left my session open for about 45 minutes during the time I made this post, and now simply pressing play there is hardly any CPU being used (as opposed to it being maxed and distorting the audio). As I mentioned, it's always random. It has to be a glitch with Logic X itself, but I still would like to know why it's happening, because I know the same problem is going to happen tomorrow and prevent me from doing any work for a few hours. Thanks in advance.

I notice your Process Buffer Range is set to Large. Was that the default on LPX? I'm still on 9, but I've encountered some strange behavior when changing it off the default of Medium. Maybe try switching it to Medium and seeing if that makes any difference.

This looks like a long-standing problem that a small percentage of users have run into over the years, since at least version 7. I haven't experienced it much myself, but it seems to happen with seemingly random combinations of settings and hardware.

Hey,

Have you got the latest drivers for your interface? I see you have an Apogee ONE. If its the newer one, there is a newer driver from April 2013. Have you tried a different USB port on your Mac? Try switching over to the Mac built in sound card. Try playing your song and see what happens. Also try a different USB cable? Maybe a connection is going bad? Try creating a brand new blank project and adding in your tracks again one at a time. See if there is a problem track or file.

You said you had an external HDD? See if it is accessing that hard drive when the problem happens. Also try using a demo of another DAW, like Reaper or Studio One and see if the problem persists. It might be something hardware related then.

Hope these ideas help!

Wayne

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll change the Process Buffer Range back to Medium - where it was originally at. I only changed it to Large because someone had suggested it in another thread, but I guess it's not necessary.

Next time the CPU decides to act up again, I'll try changing to the Mac built-in audio instead of the ONE.

I'll give everyone an update when I can. Cheers

• 8 months later...