Easiest way to split stereo tracks to two mono tracks SOLVED

CHKComposer

I wish there was a "Split Stereo Tracks into Two Mono Tracks" function. What's the easiest way to do this? My method is to convert audio files to split mono. But you have to rename and delete stereo file in session so it imports on to two mono tracks. Other wise it still see the two mono files as one stereo since the have the .L and .R suffix. First world problems I suppose. But its a waste of time. Any other quicker method that I'm missing?

shadowboxnyc, Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.3)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.8.5)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Any other quicker method that I'm missing?

Depends on your goal...if all you want to do is process the 2 channels separately, you could simply put a copy of the stereo region on another track and set the original's channel strip input format to "Left", and the copy's to input format to "Right".

If you need to have separate mono regions, do this:

Split the interleaved file using the Copy/Convert function (Audio File menu) in the Project Audio Browser, then disconnect the left from the right (select L and R regions in the Project Audio Browser, then go to Edit > Disconnect Selected Split Stereo File).

Then you just drop them each on a mono track and pan hard left and right, and turn down their volume by 3dB (if your Pan Law is set to -3dB Compensated).

J.

• 7 years later...
Here's a little hack if you have a stereo file and you want to split the left and right into separate mono channels e.g. if you have an interview with the two speakers recorded on L and R channels. Using the same method above, copy the stereo file into another track and click-hold the input format button to select Left on one and Right on the other. Then make a small edit (split the file and move it a tiny bit at the beginning or end) and join (command-J) which will create a new mono file with just the left and right in their respective tracks. It is mind-numbingly stupid that 8 years after this discussion Apple still hasn't fixed this so that you can easily import stereo files into two separate mono tracks, but here we are...