How to renumber bars in the ruler and score?

63strat

Why do you need bar one to move? If it's for the purposes of having "SMPTE zero" count from your selected bar, you can do this from Settings. (Note that this will still leave the bars unchanged in the ruler.)

For instance, say you want your time count to start at bar 8.

1) Copy the bar position from the transport

2) Open Settings / Synchronization

3) Paste your bar position into the lower left field (Bar Position) and also check the "Enable separate SMPTE view offset" box

4) Right-click in the transport's field and select "Use SMPTE View Offset".

Again, I don't know why you need to move bar one but this procedure at least will give you the ability to know exactly how far along the song is in minutes and seconds without having to subtract your empty bars at the top of the song.

And as mentioned, Markers are your friend here for locating to the start of your song.

Thanks everyone. The reason is for the players to see each cue starting at bar one., and have this match what I'm seeing in the Arrange window. Nothing to do with SMPTE zero. I know I can do this in the Score editor, but was hoping I could make the change in the Arrange window.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

+1 for bar view offset in the transport - not just in the score.

One of the things I use Logic a lot for is score and parts notation for rehearsal. The MIDI regions for notation are usually alongside audio tracks or even a movie track. 99.9% of the time there is song / audio / video content before the start of bar 1. (Count off for audio recordings, lead-in on video, or even pickup notes in the actual song which for notation purposes usually come before bar 1 as well) So bar1 in the music is almost never aligned with bar 1 in Logic. Yes, I know I can use a measure number offset in the score numbers preferences, but it would be REALLY nice to turn on an offset in the bar location display in the transport just as you can for SMPTE location display. That way when we we're rehearsing and someone says "What are the exact notes/chord at 78 in the sheet music?" I could actually see those notes by going to 78 in logic. And yes, I know I can always just add 2 or 3 or 4 to the number, but it would be nicer to have bar numbers aligned everywhere.

And many of us know by sad experience, that you NEVER want to move the beginning of your Logic project before bar 1 - so that's a non starter. I've tried it.

• 1 year later...

One of the things I use Logic a lot for is score and parts notation for rehearsal. The MIDI regions for notation are usually alongside audio tracks or even a movie track. 99.9% of the time there is song / audio / video content before the start of bar 1. (Count off for audio recordings, lead-in on video, or even pickup notes in the actual song which for notation purposes usually come before bar 1 as well) So bar1 in the music is almost never aligned with bar 1 in Logic. Yes, I know I can use a measure number offset in the score numbers preferences, but it would be REALLY nice to turn on an offset in the bar location display in the transport just as you can for SMPTE location display. That way when we we're rehearsing and someone says "What are the exact notes/chord at 78 in the sheet music?" I could actually see those notes by going to 78 in logic. And yes, I know I can always just add 2 or 3 or 4 to the number, but it would be nicer to have bar numbers aligned everywhere.

And many of us know by sad experience, that you NEVER want to move the beginning of your Logic project before bar 1 - so that's a non starter. I've tried it.

I would really like to be able to OFFSET the bar numbers in the main arrange window so that they conform with the Score ( ie not just use the Score Editor internal settings offset) - I want to be able to define BAR 1 on the Arrange page and for that always to correspond to the Score.

Just wondering if there is any change of functionality I have missed or forgotten in recent Logic X versions?

PS Just looked at the features of LPX 10.5 in which one of the points is this:

The time positions in the LCD display and floating time display windows now reflect an enabled SMPTE View Offset.

I have tried to change the Bar Number via this SMPTE offset dropdown menu but on my 10.4.4 it is greyed out - was this a bug now fixed in 10.5?

• 5 months later...
This feels like an odd omission in Logic... would love to see ability to renumber bars in the arrange in a future update. I've been seeing an odd bug lately also, where if I change the song start marker and it is left on an uneven beat / subdivision, then the bar/beat/subdivions demarcation lines in the piano roll are all messed up for all midi regions down the line, making editing difficult. I can't seem to reproduce it 100% however.

Totally agree - still a puzzle why Logic programmers have not after all these years addressed this as it is very relevant for anyone who has their computer in the studio for a session and is keeping an eye on the Audio and the Score they have created and made into parts for musicians to play.

Personally I have two ways of dealing with this:

1/ prioritise the Part Bar numbers being same as the Transport/ Arrange Display and let go of having Bar 1 be the first bar in the Score/Parts. So you can quickly get to the same bar that a musician in the session needs to reference or has a question about. ( Usually this is when I have beat mapped an audio track for an arrangement.

2/ Use the Numbers /Names Bar offset if you are producing a part where the Arrangement doesnt need to play alongside audio. But is it's own discrete arrangement.

• 5 months later...

This comes up every now and then and David and many others warn of the severe consequences of using negative numbers. But the need for preroll, or (God forbid!) a pick up while still saying in sync with the written parts and the sequencer require negative bar numbers.

I have been using negative bar numbers for over 20 years with Logic, and the sun still comes up in the morning. Yes, now and then a few little weird things pop up, but come on, they are there, I use them, and if you find them important, I say, LIVE DANGEROUSLY!

796684397_ScreenShot2021-05-19at4_42_05PM.png.45b3b0a7aba57877870b360425d3e92a.png

haha. Us long long time users of Logic have been burned badly by using negative bars for countoffs and so about 15 years ago I swore I would never again ever use a negative bar for count off. I think things have gotten better since then. However film composers are driven a bit crazy by this. PT can float their bars around but in Logic bar 1 is bar 1 is always bar 1! I always just start film cues on at least M3 and often later if need be. Musicians don't mind too much having their first bar be M3 or so...