Black Timline while playing after Maverick Upg on LP 9.1.5

gabster

Hi All

So, I had to do it, right? Jump on the bandwagon and upgrade to Maverick. Shouldn't have don it.

Now I have a black timeline being "drawn" by the play head as it plays. Basically the whole timeline (behind the playhead) becomes black.

As if there's an issue with the graphic card refresh, Very strange.

Any tips more than welcome!

thanks!

Gabster

• 2 months later...
I read here that the solution to the Blackening of the piano roll, the score, and arrange area, by the passage of the playhead, was to upgrade to 9.1.8. That turned out to be true, because -- lo and behold ! -- just as I was about to do that, my computer did an automatic upgrade . . . to 9.1.8. If you have problem getting your computer to start Logic Pro 9 or 8, there is a great youtube video that shows you how to do this. (An upgrade to a new operating system can cause this). The youtube is called: "How to get Logic Pro to work on OSX Lion . . ." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrqqswGgNk You go into applications, get your logic program, look at the package contents, and then use the terminal icon to open it. The guy's name is Drew Austin. He shows you step by step how to do this.

• 2 years later...

Well, it's been a few years since this thread, but I am having the same problem also right after upgrading to Mavericks 10.9.5 last night. But unlike the OP, I was already running Logic 9.1.8....

When I booted up, there were some strange dark pixels on the screen. I described the problem to Apple and they said there is an issue with the graphics card on my early 2011 MBP and that it is eligible for them to install a new graphics card for free. Has anyone else here experienced this "growing black timeline" in the Piano Roll, and has anyone solved the problem by replacing the graphics card?

What is weird is that this doesn't happen in any of my other non-Apple DAWs or when playing movies.

Well, it's been a few years since this thread, but I am having the same problem also right after upgrading to Mavericks 10.9.5 last night. But unlike the OP, I was already running Logic 9.1.8....

When I booted up, there were some strange dark pixels on the screen. I described the problem to Apple and they said there is an issue with the graphics card on my early 2011 MBP and that it is eligible for them to install a new graphics card for free. Has anyone else here experienced this "growing black timeline" in the Piano Roll, and has anyone solved the problem by replacing the graphics card?

What is weird is that this doesn't happen in any of my other non-Apple DAWs or when playing movies.

I've heard of the 2011 MBP graphics issue.

Get it replaced if Apple offers it to you.

I've seen this issue in both OS X 10.9 and 10.10. 10.11.2 and greater introduced a lot of graphics enhancement and I have not encountered this since.