Help getting Logic to pass System Exclusive messages.

SysEx Problems

Hi. I am attempting to integrate a new hardware synth into my setup. It's a Roland Alpha Juno 2. My goal is to ultimately program the synth via Logic. However, despite being able to record SysEx data to a midi track, I can't get Logic to pass that information through.

My setup is a late 2013 iMac running Mavericks, Logic Pro X, and a Roland Octa-Capture audio/midi interface. I am also using an iPad with MidiDesigner to control the Alpha Juno 2--it's the source of the SysEx messages.

With the Juno routed to an audio channel, and a External midi channel set to the appropriate channel. I can easily send note data to the synth via the iPad or the Musical Typing on screen keyboard. I can also record SysEx data to a midi track, which appears as "xxx"s in the midi pattern, and shows in the events list. But this SysEx will not pass through to my Synth, which I determined by routing the output of my record midi track to a program called Midi Monitor. Only notes are sent, even though the events lists show many, many SysEx events. Logic even identifies the events as Roland format.

Any thoughts? I have "SysEx with MIDI Thru function" clicked, but it makes no difference at all. Of course, I have System Exclusive messages turned on in my Synth's menu, and I can control it directly with my iPad--just not through logic. Any help is appreciated.

I don't know what I've done to deserve such a terse response, when others seem to get extensive help. Oh well, I figured it out on my own.

Sorry... I did'nt mean to be blunt. :(

If you check at my post you will notice that the word "Environment" was in fact a link pointing at the documentation regarding a potential solution to your issue...

• 3 years later...
My solution for this is using a Midi Instrument object in the environment to send sysex to my external synths. I have a couple of templates for my RemoteSL that send sysex to external synths and what I've done is cabled from a monitor to the specific midi instrument object. Channels aren't an issue since I have each external keyboard on a different channel and the sysex string by it's very nature is channel specific.

My solution for this is using a Midi Instrument object in the environment to send sysex to my external synths. I have a couple of templates for my RemoteSL that send sysex to external synths and what I've done is cabled from a monitor to the specific midi instrument object. Channels aren't an issue since I have each external keyboard on a different channel and the sysex string by it's very nature is channel specific.

Thanks, I'll give it shot.

• 2 weeks later...